Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered Beagle Breeders

Options
  • 18-09-2009 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a beagle from a breeder. I'm worried sick that if I buy from donedeal or gumtree I'll get one from a puppy farm. Now I realise that not everyone on those sites own puppy farms but knowing my luck I'll find the one guy that does own one.

I've done a lot of research online and even contacted the IKC and ISPCA aboout details but they said their not permittted to give out peoples details. (Fair enough). So I was hoping someone might know someone who knows someone etc etc and get me a name and number.

Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's strange the IKC won't give you the name of a registered breeder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HomerjSimpson3

I know they gave me the number for the Beagle Club of Irelnad chairman. But he said he won't give out anybodys name or number as that's not what they gave it to him for. To be honest talking to the guy it all seems very clicky to me. Like if you don't know us we don't want to know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Sure, there are already lots of rescue dogs out there that need homes. By going down this route, you'd be doing a world of good, both for a dog and the animal shelter from which he/she came, instead of simply contributing to a process which treats animals as nothing more than commercial products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HomerjSimpson3

I know and I would prefer to go that way but the wife is having none of it. Both she and my daughter said they want a Beagle and nothing else will do. I already rang a few places and they have me on a list so if one does come in I'll get a call.

Does the term "rock and hard place" mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Bring the two of them to an animal's home.. they may not be long changing their minds.
    (Sorry i know that isn't answering your question)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

The longer the commercial breeders remain in business, the longer animal shelters will too...

Yes it certainly does.
    Does the phrase "right thing to do" mean anything to you?

You could be one righteous dude by giving an animal a second chance at life instead of perpetuating the tragedy of shelters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hey hey - relax on the OP please.
    If he wants an beagle he's entitled to get a beagle.

Not everyone can go down the rescue route for whatever reason, and no one should feel pressured into taking a dog they don't really want.

I've got two purebred Lhasa Apsos, and I chose them. Why? because my mother's terrified of most dogs, but we rescued one when I was little and she loved it. We've tried both rescue dogs and other purebreds and none ever lasted. I wouldn't put another dog through that. So I got the breed I know she clicks with. And we all couldn't be happier.
    Not all breeders are bad people.

When I have my own home, yes I'd like to take in rescue dogs, but in my circumstances, I have what I have. And this chap has to take into consideration his family too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

I know and I would prefer to go that way but the wife is having none of it. Both she and my daughter said they want a Beagle and nothing else will do. I already rang a few places and they have me on a list so if one does come in I'll get a call.

Why are your wife and daughter insist on a beagle? Are they hunters? Or is it just a fashionable whim? Only curious.

I have a beagle, but from the pound, dumped there because she was supposed to be a "bad hunter", whatever that means.
    She is lovely but quite a handful, needs lots of space and exercise and attention. And she is stubborn to a fault, would never pass an obedience class.. :rolleyes:
    Are your wife and daughter ready for that?

Advertisement