Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Legend

• 18-09-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Demo was meant to be out last night. Didnt get a chance to check .

Has anyone downloaded or tried it yet ? been looking forward to this, should be a good laugh :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It's only out for people who pre-ordered at Gamestop, isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr. K wrote: »

Yeah pretty sure that's it. Demo shall go on general release in a week or two I think.

Tim Schafer - wooh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Anybody tried the demo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I played the demo about 1-2 weeks ago, won a code on facebook but it was american one! :mad: had to go through 10 tons of ****e to play it :P Have the RRoD right now so that doesn't help :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh yea, it's pretty good, don't know if i'd buy it though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I played through the demo last night. The gameplay isn't mind blowing, but the music and voice acting is excellent. The
    options to remove the swearing and gore are excellently presented

I don't think I'll buy it when it comes out, but perhaps sometime in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Played the deom last night. REally enjoyed it. Comedy is excellent! I've been looking forward to this one for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Played it there a day or so ago, loved it. The humour is top-notch Schafer, and Jack Black is great as Eddie. Gameplay is good but I can see people thinking its a bit linear while the full game has a lot more open-world elements. And yes the options for swearing and gore were brilliant "....the full roadie experience"

Plus, greatest title screen ever!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Played it there a day or so ago, loved it. The humour is top-notch Schafer, and Jack Black is great as Eddie. Gameplay is good but I can see people thinking its a bit linear while the full game has a lot more open-world elements. And yes the options for swearing and gore were brilliant "....the full roadie experience"

Plus, greatest title screen ever!!

Would agree with this. The gameplay is relatively basic but a lot of fun - loved little touches like the kick-ass handbrake turn or the simple riff mini-game. I laughed out loud a couple of times throughout the demo (as said, the parental filters are brilliant). Playing on the Xbox I would have preferred the controls for the axe and the guitar to be switched around (I didn't check to see if you could change) but I'd say you'd get used to it quickly - just opposite to what I'm used to!

The menu screen is by far the greatest menu screen to ever grace a computer game. It just keeps getting cleverer as you push right!

Will probably pick this up on day one, along with Uncharted 2, as I'm a big Schafer fan. It will be a busy month or so starting on (R)October 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I played a bit of Psychonauts when it first came out and it didn't really pull me in straight away. I thought it was funny, but the gameplay wasn't amazing, however from what I played the voice acting seemed top notch.

I put it to the side, and said I'd come back to it later. Two years later I finally came back to it and finished it and it's now up there in my top 5 best games ever created.

I won't be making the same mistake with Brutal Legend. I'd advise anyone who isn't immediately blown away by the demo and thinking about buying it later, or putting it on the back burner to reconsider.

When your kids ask you "Where were you when Brutal Legend was released" do you really want to tell them "oh I was doing something else, playing a game you've never heard of called Call of Warfare 2 or something"... do you really want to see that look of shame for their father? Well do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

whats this BS about gamestop, its out now on LIVE. havent played it yet but if i hear good things, ill download.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    whats this BS about gamestop, its out now on LIVE. havent played it yet but if i hear good things, ill download.
    Mr. K wrote: »
    That was posted 2-3 weeks ago, when it was a Gamestop exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any word on a demo of the PC version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Stephen wrote: »
    Any word on a demo of the PC version?

Don't think there are plans yet to release it on the PC. There'll probably be a PC demo out for it next year, when the console sales have dropped off.

Completed the demo there and I get nothing but good feelings from this. From the clip at the end it looks like it's going to be amazing.

Gameplay is solid, but the voice acting and cutscenes are second to none. Think I laughed at least once during every one of them. In fact I don't think a game has made me actually laugh since Psychonauits.

Will be picking this up for the PS3 the day it's released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm really looking forward to this now. Brilliant humour and voice acting. The gameplay was simple but enjoyable. I imagine there will be a bit more to the full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

loved it, will probably be checking this out at launch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The demo is a real hoot. Will definately get the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Will definitely be buying this one asap!
    Have been singing
    Girlfriend... You make my heart bend
    for days now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed for general discussion. Looks like the review embargo has lifted, and some reviews are out.

IGN:
    IGN AU:

Looks like a fun game. Out on Friday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Its amazing to see that someone can take a third person action adventure and after all these years do it so right.

I watched Burning Eclipse off here play through this last weekend and it seemed very entertaining/clever.

This months purchase will probably be Forza 3 but when this drops in price I will definitely get it I imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

demo was good fun but dont think ill be getting full game, could get a bit repetitive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Vegeta wrote: »
    This months purchase will probably be Forza 3 but when this drops in price I will definitely get it I imagine

The sad thing is, within a couple of months, as soon as the initial buzz dies down this will have dropped to bargain basement prices.
    Not so sad for the consumer I guess, but I really want to see Tim Schafer do well out of this one... Dude deserves some recognition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If I was home with my xbox I'd be buying this straight away. As it is though I won't be for ages so I probably will be picking it up when its cheaper just cos I won't be back for a few months :(
    Same applies to L4D2, although i doubt Valve will be dropping the price on Steam much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

tman wrote: »
    The sad thing is, within a couple of months, as soon as the initial buzz dies down this will have dropped to bargain basement prices.
    Not so sad for the consumer I guess, but I really want to see Tim Schafer do well out of this one... Dude deserves some recognition!

Yeah I also watched a bit of psychonauts being played and my god that man has some imagination/talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

tman wrote: »

Yeah, think this is definitely the case. Psychonauts was probably one of the best games of the last generation but was sadly overlooked by the masses. Brutal Legend is a day one purchase for me (and there aren't too many of them anymore!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Played the Demo and thought "Wow, someone's really given this a lot of thought instead of just churning out another 3rd Person beat-em-um style game."

I'll probably get this at some stage, maybe not release day though - I can wait to pick it up second hand :)

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yeah I also watched a bit of psychonauts being played and my god that man has some imagination/talent

I think the secret agent fantasy in Psychonauts is one of the greatest levels ever created, while the artist one has some of the best art design I've ever seen in a game. Tim Schafer is someone who realises the inherent fun in games, and it helps that he is hilarious.
    G-Man: [as a housewife] Although over time my husband will lose desire for me sexually, he will always love my pies.

Out of every 'famous' developer out there, he is one I will always support for being a true original in a regularly bland community.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

The reviews are quite good so far - http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/brutallegend?q=brutal%20legend

Must check out the demo this evening. The list of tracks in the game is amazing

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Kharn wrote: »
    I'll probably get this at some stage, maybe not release day though - I can wait to pick it up second hand :)

I can see second hand purchases of this game killing any profit that might be made on it. The only people who benefit from second hand purchases are gamestop etc. and the dev isn't rewarded for having the balls to make a new ip, which is something rare these days. I'll be buying this new for sure, if nothing else, then as a thank you to the devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Have it pre-ordered with thehut.com. To be fair I'd buy pretty much anything with Tim Schafer's name attached. Which may not be exactly a good thing :P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

great game :)

something different!

Advertisement