Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Legend

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Destructoid pretty much tore it apart.. and are now having the favour returned...

http://www.destructoid.com/review-brutal-legend-151841.phtml#ext

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Will this be available on friday from HMV?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Destructoid pretty much tore it apart.. and are now having the favour returned...

http://www.destructoid.com/review-brutal-legend-151841.phtml#ext
    I don't think 6 out of 10 is "tearing a game apart". That's 3 stars. That's above average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not in the insane world of games "journalism" it isn't. Anything below 70-80% seems to be considered sh1t.

Anyone know if the US version of this is region free? Play-asia doesn't know. If it is I'll pick it up here and play it on the 360 in my house here and then take it home with me when the time comes :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Exactly the insane world of game journalism. There's no point listening to that lot anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Played it last night,

a bit of back story, I love Jack Black as much as any man can love another without getting the sexah time, so this game should be nothing but gold to me

except it wasnt, I thought it was pretty boring, im not far into it but it just seemed to be a bit dull. I was happy to stop playing after a couple of hours.

The humour is great, its the game play thats the problem. Also if you die at a section the characters will say the same thing at the same time, every time! pretty annoying

I'll give it more of a chance but colour me disspointed so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I can see second hand purchases of this game killing any profit that might be made on it. The only people who benefit from second hand purchases are gamestop etc. and the dev isn't rewarded for having the balls to make a new ip, which is something rare these days. I'll be buying this new for sure, if nothing else, then as a thank you to the devs.
    You know what, that's a very fair point and not one I had considered. However, I simply don't have the sort of money required to buy release day games and so normally pick them up second hand (or on the PC as it'll be anywhere between €15 and €30 cheaper).

I guess I'll have to start buying more online, but I'm at the stage in life where most of my "anticipated" releases are on the PC (and so not anywhere near as expensive as console) and I like wandering into a game shop to pick things up for my XBox when I'm a bit bored - it's my "casual gaming" device if you will :)

I guess that's more of a discussion for another thread, but I think I may just have to buy this game new if for no other reason that I think Tim Schafer deserves my thanks.

Anyone get it yet. And how much ya get it for and where? Games seems to be getting increasingly cheaper.

Really want this, but mightn't have the money for this with Forza and borderlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

"let's start a Mosh Pit"

Jack Black's a lightweight man he'd be crawling out of a proper pit holding a gushing nose, blood streaming. so he's the all round 'Dood' now we gotta tolerate him wax bloody metallikur or something

i dunno Metacritic's not bn set alight by it... but the low reviews are probs by ravers..
    their opinions are completely insignificant - need to play the demo i think

Anyone get it yet. And how much ya get it for and where? Games seems to be getting increasingly cheaper.

Really want this, but mightn't have the money for this with Forza and borderlands.

HMV have it for 45.

Got it today. fun game. when i clear it ill be trading it in as soon as. No replay value. Multiplayer is kinda boring.

Still though, its worth a rent. I bought it as i dont have time to play it in a week!!

• Advertisement

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    HMV have it for 45.

Got it today. fun game. when i clear it ill be trading it in as soon as. No replay value. Multiplayer is kinda boring.

Still though, its worth a rent. I bought it as i dont have time to play it in a week!!

Thanks mate, would gamestop/extravision prob have it for the same price?

Yea k might just rent it I dunno...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I played it a bit more last night and things were certainly better.

I got to the RTS parts and they are actually really good.

Overall its been decent, but it wont be on any of my game of the year lists thats for sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have it sitting downstairs waiting to be played once I get through Uncharted. 45 with loyalty card in Smyths as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I love me some metal! And I love Schafer, so this is a match made in heaven (or hell, just to keep with the tone of the game) for me! Finished it already, but there's still lots to do and see. Also, for those who have completed it
    the scene where Ophelia commits suicide, only to be taken by the black tears, with Mr. Crowley in the background
    is about the most perfect scene I can remember ever seeing in a game. Loved it, and while I can see it's flaws (it's short and... am...) that wouldn't stop me recommending it to anyone who has a sense of humour or appreciates good music :)

I love me some metal! And I love Schafer, so this is a match made in heaven (or hell, just to keep with the tone of the game) for me! Finished it already, but there's still lots to do and see. Also, for those who have completed it
    the scene where Ophelia commits suicide, only to be taken by the black tears, with Mr. Crowley in the background
    is about the most perfect scene I can remember ever seeing in a game. Loved it, and while I can see it's flaws (it's short and... am...) that wouldn't stop me recommending it to anyone who has a sense of humour or appreciates good music :)

I so want to look at the spoiler!! Really good game in my opinion! Seems a bit short though.
    Im at the part where I'v just entered the jungle
    ... how long do i have left, because I don't want this to end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I so want to look at the spoiler!! Really good game in my opinion! Seems a bit short though.
    Im at the part where I'v just entered the jungle
    ... how long do i have left, because I don't want this to end!

Tell me about it. They were my sentiments exactly. You're about 2/3 of the way through it. If you haven't been doing secondary quests I'd get on the immediately, just to prolong it! :D I'm gonna start it again tonight!

Tell me about it. They were my sentiments exactly. You're about 2/3 of the way through it. If you haven't been doing secondary quests I'd get on the immediately, just to prolong it! :D I'm gonna start it again tonight!

Yeh I'v done every sidequest so far! Might take some time to search for motor forges and stuff.

look for the solos, they are fun to have!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Solos are essential!

I was over in my mates house playing it again last night. Did some races and went looking for bound dragons for the buffs they offer. Found the
    flaming zepplin
    solo and it's effects are just fantastic :) In terms of a game mechanic, they work well too but it's a pain in the arse that they take as long as they do to deliver whilst you're being bashed by enemies.

The RTS element of it isn't perfect, but it's not bad either. We were driving around the
    Dry Ice Mines
    and spotted the potential merch stand locations and figured "this is gonna take some time" but haven't tackled that mission yet.

Overall, I'm still blown away by the artwork and design of the game. There have been complaints of a lack of polish - I'm not inclined to agree fully, but we found a place where we got stuck and had to reload a checkpoint and there's a lot of niggly bits of scenery where the clipping is awkward and your car will end up getting needlessly caught up. The cameos are good and it was nice to hear some Ministry too :) It's a good game, I'm curious about the multiplayer and replay value of it though.

Cleared!! Damn I did not want that to end.

Now I have to do the damn hunting missions, they're so tedious.

Looking forward to just driving around just looking for collectables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I take it you can continue your game once you clear the main campaign? Because I'm tearing through it. I think I'm close to finishing it and I've only sat down to play it once. But I was sitting for a good while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Kharn wrote: »
    The cameos are good and it was nice to hear some Ministry too :)

Ministy, really?
    Now I really do have to buy it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apologies for the 3 year bump but this is now 14 euro on Steam with instant beta access to it. Game is released 1 week from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I still have it on my "to do" list for the 360 downstairs. People seemed to love it, and I was enjoyin it, dunno why I stopped, I assume another AAA game came along

Advertisement