Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grant

• 18-09-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

Has anyone received any word back from their maintenance grant application yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

A lot of people have and know how much they are getting or if they arent getting one at all, but i myself havent heard a word from them, not even to say theyve recieved my application and i sent it a good month ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Same as that.About 2 months ago and nout back.

I know of quite a few in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

The county councils are usually very bad at getting back to people...

Don't be expecting your grant til mid-october thought, their always quite late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I got mine last week..never heard a word from them until then. I remember last year I didnt get it until well into October so dont be too concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Haven't heard anything yet, had to send off a couple of extra forms a couple of weeks ago, so it's at least half processed. It's usually in the bank by October 3rdish. Though it will probably be later this year with the amount of new students, seems like its doubled since last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nevancito

last year didnt get mine till end of november and registration fee back till end of march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

student service's sent an e-mail around regarding the grant's. basically, you should put pressure on your local TD's regarding the council's not taking on extra staff to deal with the increased number of application's.

LATEST FROM DONEGAL VEC

Notice to Third Level Grant Applicants 2009/2010

Due to the large volume of grant applications received we wish to advise students that the first round of grant payments for eligible students will be made at the end of October 2009.

The Student Support Section is open to the public from 2:00pm to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.

Applicants shall be contacted in due course with regard to their eligibility for funding for the 2009/2010 academic year. Where necessary we will write to applicants requesting outstanding/further information and documentation. In the meantime, applicants should continue to submit relevant information and documentation to allow us to continue with assessments.

In particular, please ensure that you have returned your Final Acceptance Form, indicating the course of study you intend to pursue.

Staff in the Student Support Section appreciate and ask for your continued co-operation as we process the increased volume of application forms received for Third Level Support this year.

I was told during the week that it could be up to 8 weeks before they're all out. Sooner rather than later I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

I sent my form into the vec in the first week of september and got word back a week later so i must have been one of the lucky ones :D

• Advertisement

paul150 wrote: »
    I sent my form into the vec in the first week of september and got word back a week later so i must have been one of the lucky ones :D

congrats and definatly one of the lucky ones!

Finally got a letter back asking if I want to accept the grant. Seems a bit silly asking if I want it when I've spent ages applying for it though.

Now to see if the college can possibly stamp a form in a single day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Some of you are very lucky. Im a mature student 1st year and had all my forms into them in July heard nothing back went in last week and they werent a bit nice said it could be 4-8 weeks or the way they are going could be 48weeks thats the exact words she said to me im praying its not more than 4 weeks or i will have to drop out and im loving it so far

loca1 wrote: »
    they werent a bit nice

Yeah, you would think the students were an inconvenience to them..It doesn't hurt to show a bit of understanding when asked "when do you think i can expect a decision" after three months of waiting.A rhymed off statement with a stern looking face in reply is not a way of showing gratitude for the fact that we are helping provide them with a means of employment.

A course in public relations or attitude behavior wouldn't go a miss when all this misfortune is over.

And by the way, as an employee and employer in a past life, this grant (if i ever get it) is only a small return for the countless money paid into the state over the years by myself - it's not nice being made beg for a small fraction of it back.

irlpic wrote: »
    Yeah, you would think the students were an inconvenience to them..It doesn't hurt to show a bit of understanding when asked "when do you think i can expect a decision" after three months of waiting.A rhymed off statement with a stern looking face in reply is not a way of showing gratitude for the fact that we are helping provide them with a means of employment.

A course in public relations or attitude behavior wouldn't go a miss when all this misfortune is over.

And by the way, as an employee and employer in a past life, this grant (if i ever get it) is only a small return for the countless money paid into the state over the years by myself - it's not nice being made beg for a small fraction of it back.

File a complaint to the county council or to your local TD regarding the attitude of the staff.
    it actually does get results! i had abuse thrown at me over a few parking ticket's. I complained about the attitude not being professional, and a few weeks later i recieved a letter from the staff member, appologising to a great extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im as pissed off as the next person but i can understand where the vec staff are coming from they only have 2 people working 2 days a week in a year that college applicants has BOOMED. They are obviously gona be stressed and if anyones to blame its the government itself for not giving extra manpower or even giving the two that are unlucky enough to be working it a few extra hours at it.

So yeah something should be said to the tds but i wouldnt go bashing the vec employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Yea the VEC employees themselves aren't to blame for the current situation. They're trying to get through the papers as best as they can. They really send some of the staff from other counties to the donegal branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chavetychav

government is a bollox for not intervening!

I dont think there has been enough publicity about the backlog of grants in Donegal a short while back we heard and seen in papers about students in Sligo / Mayo not receiving theres till later i for one havnt seen much in local papers about donegal vec/county council. That other backlog was cleared fairly quick so surely we should get more resources. A lot of us wont see the grant until next year i am so screwed really depended on it towards my childcare for my 2 children i've a huge loan to repay and would need a top up now on that there wont be christmas this year thats for sure. Some people have received letters but majority have heard no word back and it doesnt matter when they got the application as mines was in with them complete in July I know they are under pressure in there but so are we to continue our studies. We havnt seen the worst of the Government yet guys i guess we are in for an awful shock in december

government is a bollox for not intervening!

the government did intervein! they stopped the county council's hiring new staff to deal with the surge in applications!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chavetychav

go to page 5 of the derry people this week, theres a half page on students not receiving grants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Onto the Grant people again.
    I've been told that my application is with the "assessors".
    So basically no further. She said it could be days, weeks. No clue.
    End of Jan I'd say.
    *crosses fingers*

Got an email today saying the VEC offices are closed all week so they can try and catch up with processing the grants..

Yeah we all got that one.
    They should have closed down for 2 or 3 weeks long ago and got a good bulk of them done.
    BUT saying that can't change the past! Let's hope they can at least get through most of the August applications.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Finally got word today! Now to await the next payment?

Anybody know when that is by any chance?

Finally got word today! Now to await the next payment?

Anybody know when that is by any chance?

As far as i know if you get your letter stamped and returned to the VEC before the 19th of Nov you will get your backdated payment at the end of this month.

If you miss this deadline the next payment is scheduled for the 25th of Dec.

I'm not 100% on all of the above but its all posted on one of the notice board in the main corridor.

Just thinking here, we got a college email this week stating that the VEC is closed all week to try and speed up processing.:(

irlpic wrote: »
    Just thinking here, we got a college email this week stating that the VEC is closed all week to try and speed up processing.:(

They "claim" to be closed. I've heard today that they aren't really. I'm sure the fact people ring them everyday wanting news isn't helping the problem of them getting through the workload.

They haven't taken on new staff but they have taken on some work experience people from the college here. They are well into the August applications now according to these work experience ones. They aren't dealing with the grant applications themselves as they are in administration roles. But have seen what's going on.

See Mister E....it's good to talk to everybody. Ya find out the good info ;)

Will it be paid next week?? if i dont get it this time im going to cry

If you've been approved already then you should get your payment automatically at the end of every month..if you havent been approved then nobody knows whats happening...

• Advertisement

Yeah I have been approved for the grant back in October but they only gave me the letter there and then that day because I looked so stressed. Brought the approval letter to the college but I cant think what I was supposed to get signed or stamped by the college. That day I was in the VEC the woman said just sign this to say you want the grant and thats it but I cant think about forms signed.

Got a letter back from the Millenium partnership I hadnt it fully filled out so at least they are giving me a chance to get it in order might not get anything from that saying im entitled to the full grant worth a try though

Advertisement