Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are people lying about how much they spend?

• 18-09-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

You know those newspaper and magazine articles where they take a picture of someone wearing a great outfit and the person describes the outfit or magazine interviews with Irish celebs/media people----people always say they spend approx €100 a month on clothes. Sometimes it's €200 and the highest I've ever seen somebody admit to is €300.

The person almost always has a designer bag, usually worth close to €1,000 which would mean they bought nothing else for the whole year which I don't believe. Or Laboutin shoes.

I've been keeping an excel spreadsheet of everything I've bought. While I seem to think I've bought nothing recently it has still added up to nearly €100 for this month. I bought a replacement pair of converse, a boyfriend cardigan from Penneys, a bag in Dunnes for work so that I won't be using my expensive bags everyday, a pair of tights and a plain white vest top to wear under something else.

So I've spent €100 and have nothing much to show for it even though I did need those things as everyday basics.

The people in those articles are all designer clothes on the same budget:confused:

So are they lying or just unaware of how much they are spending?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

I lucky to buy new socks once a year! say its around 400 yo-yo's a year max for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Probably ignorant, girls I worked with would shop every Friday, spend all their paycheck, then if there were new season stuff or sales during the week they'd just throw it on the credit card, seemed to have very little concept of the bigger picture money-wise.

I bought few bits in Pennys today (undies, 2 pairs of tights, vest top, pjs, hairband) and it came to 20e, and that's just underwear and acessories, throw in a nice dress from Oasis and that's easily 100e in a week never mind a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

i always wonder this too. i buy a good bit of clothes but from penneys and vintage or charity shops and rarely splurge on something expensive(maybe once or twice a year). id NEVER spend over 200 a month definitely. most months id spend maybe 30 on clothes or less. these people must be lying or else theyve more money than sense:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Papillon! wrote: »
    i buy a good bit of clothes but from penneys and vintage or charity shops and rarely splurge on something expensive(maybe once or twice a year). id NEVER spend over 200 a month definitely. :

But like my shopping the clothes you mention aren't expensive designer items so the €200 thing makes sense. I'm definitely not over-spending because I just don't have the money but if there's some way of wearing designer shoes and not spending more than €200 a month please let me in on the secret.

Even buying fake bags and shoes from ebay isn't that cheap:confused: Cheaper than the real thing sure but still not Penneys prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I work in a clothes shop so it's hard to be around clothes all day, every day and not spend some money. That said, I do get a fairly decent discount so it's not too bad but god, I definitely spend more than 100 euro a month! That is nothing. I'd say I probably spend four or five hundred euro a month on clothes alone. If I'm having a bad day, I get a basket in Penney's and fill it up, could spend a hundred euro in there and that cheers me right up! I'm awful with money though!

• Advertisement

• Perhaps the shoes and bags were gifts? That's the only thing I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Most of the people who spend that much on clothes are the people who live paycheck to paycheck
    The same people who bitch that everything is the banks/governments fault

Most of the people who spend that much on clothes are the people who live paycheck to paycheck
    The same people who bitch that everything is the banks/governments fault

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I could never spend 200 a week on clothes..... I spend about 40 max a week and that varies week in and out..this week i think i spent €12...Penneys...

Shoes- purple leather heels on sale for €7
    4 tops on sale €4
    a necklace and earring set for 0.50 cent
    earrings 0.50 cent

I think the most I ever spent on clothes was €200 on a red wool full length coat about 4 years ago which still looks like new and comes out every winter...

In this economic climate i dont see why people have to spend a ridiculous amount on clothes.. I keep an eye on fashion and Il buy somethin and customise it... Recently I brought a lace top in budapest for the equivalent of €2 anf same top was in the indo sat weekender for €120 in some dub boutique....

Novella wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

what do you mean, what do i mean

• Advertisement

what do you mean, what do i mean

I mean what do you mean by people who live paycheck to paycheck being the same people who bitch about the banks and government? Obviously. Like, that's a huge generalisation and an unfair one, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

sunnyside wrote: »
    You know those newspaper and magazine articles where they take a picture of someone wearing a great outfit and the person describes the outfit or magazine interviews with Irish celebs/media people----people always say they spend approx €100 a month on clothes. Sometimes it's €200 and the highest I've ever seen somebody admit to is €300.

The person almost always has a designer bag, usually worth close to €1,000 which would mean they bought nothing else for the whole year which I don't believe. Or Laboutin shoes.

I've been keeping an excel spreadsheet of everything I've bought. While I seem to think I've bought nothing recently it has still added up to nearly €100 for this month. I bought a replacement pair of converse, a boyfriend cardigan from Penneys, a bag in Dunnes for work so that I won't be using my expensive bags everyday, a pair of tights and a plain white vest top to wear under something else.

So I've spent €100 and have nothing much to show for it even though I did need those things as everyday basics.

The people in those articles are all designer clothes on the same budget:confused:

So are they lying or just unaware of how much they are spending?

Well presumably they are just giving an average......they may buy a designer pair of shoes once or twice a year, get an expensive bag once a year (or even as christmas and birthday presents). They probably don't buy a really expensive item every month!
    And I think it's very easy to spen 200E a month on clothes! Too easy in fact!

Novella wrote: »
    I mean what do you mean by people who live paycheck to paycheck being the same people who bitch about the banks and government? Obviously. Like, that's a huge generalisation and an unfair one, imo.

I said "most" and it was my opinion, your opinion doesn't bother me just like my opinion shouldn't bother you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I am a pennys girl through and through and it always amazes me that I have spent a certain amount after a "little" shopping trip...

I would spend over 200 a month if I was buying a style staple for my wardrobe. Like a lovely warm "grandaddy" (wooley jacket) but then I would spend next to nothing the next month!

On the topic of gorgeous bags I would NEVER EVER spend like a grand on a stupid Chanel quilted bag. I have a Chloe Paddington bag and I got it for E50 on a stall on Henry street!! If you know were to shop you will get amazing things! (Pennys, Dunnes and Sale racks!)

I would lie to my parents if they saw something lovely (and a impulse buy) on me and ask where did you get it and how much did it cost. Sometimes I cringe to think of how much I spend. But I'd say I'm not the worst out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

i love the labels! i ahve a channel bag, a few pauls boteuques, juicy and guess, btu ya can't wear em cause people think they're knock offs :( and my fave bag is, my 9 € blue bag from penneys :P =D

as for spending... today...

new blazer 180€
    new jumper 40€
    new dress 80€
    knee high boots 60 €
    ankle boots 101.50

the rest of the week then it was

shoes in penneys 17€
    belt in penneys 4€

Sparkles xx

Advertisement