Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Bars (George, Dragon) enters liquidation/examinership

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd imagine it's fantastic. Both those bars will be closed for about five minutes and reopen under new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither of them is actually closed as it stands. Examinership suggests Capital may want to hold on to the George, Dragon would likely be bought as a going concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Hurray!

Potentially sad for anyone working there, but yay for me.

If they need a large amount of cash quickly they could always arrange to burn one or both of the places down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

didn't that happen with the dragon already?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

If they need a large amount of cash quickly they could always arrange to burn one or both of the places down...

They tried that 2 years ago:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaDoKOZxLNA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both premises have had fires in the past few years, the George had the christmas tree and the Dragon went on fire before it opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was never a fan of Dragon, I wouldn't mind seeing that go. I preferred how the G was before Dragon opened. We had POD on Friday nights, with a bunch of other gay nights thrown in here and there to look forward to. It became too diluted when the Dragon was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Dragon kinda stymied themselves through charging large cover charges after years of being free. The George was always relatively expensive as regards drink but that must really be hitting things now as people just can't afford to drink anywhere that overcharges any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

Not a fan of either of them but would be a shame to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Ive been in Australia for 7 months so only heard about all this recently. Havent been to either since Ive been back. Have the george lowered their drink prices at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

nope, was in there on wednesday night and its still expensive, although things may be looking up 2 cocktails for €10....

...its the little things that make me happy lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

was there last night,two for €10 cocktails and they were giving out free jameson pretty much all night:)very cheap night out was had

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am delighted that the George & Dragon may be taken over by new owners & managment.
    The george is old an dirty.
    The george needs an overhall.

The dragon is a dirty ****ing kip.

10.00 euro admission in to dragon what a rip off. 6.10 for a pint.

The Minister for Finance reduced the tax on booze and instructed night club and bar owners to reduce the price on a pint as a result.
    Dragon has never reduced the price of a pint '' Think its time for a telephone call to the department of Finance''

Capital bars and the O'Dwyer brothers laugh at the gay community . They take there money give them rotten drink and come 2.30 tell the customers we have your money now **** off in an indirect way of course.

10.00 admission 6.10 a pint total 16.10 euro it is costen per person for one pint in dragon is it worth it ?

the place is frezzen & dirty and unwelcomeing and uninviteing.

New owners needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

The 10 euro entry charge is the reason that i love the Dragon-keeps the knackers out!:):)plus, the decor in the Dragon is much better. the layout in the Dragon is much better. the quality of entertainment in the dragon is much better (dancing hot men!). the george is a ****ing kip, the staff are *****, and the karaoke on saturday nights is ****e!!!:mad: been going there just over a year and already i hate the place!

Dragon have removed their entry fee and have stopped charging higher prices after 11 (or was it 12). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Actually the cover charge i was referring to was the one for Spice on friday nights although it's dropped down to 8 euro now.

You're correct! I re-read my info source. It's Saturdays that are now free. Well that's not as impressive as I thought at all. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Is there a place that actually does Karaoke for real?

The George seem to have it either late night on worknights.. or for just one hour on weekends.. where they only seem to let good looking straight guys get up & sing... (I find that very irritating, not being straight, under 25, nor svelte.)

I'd love to find a place that's gay or gay friendly where I could actually go and sing a few songs over the course of the night with a few drinks & maybe meet some nice lads who would like to chat etc.. !!

Does such a place exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ukiyo Bar has karaoke booths, not sure if that's really what you're looking for though.

I do recall once a certain Irish Eurovision contestant entering the karaoke in the George and losing... :pac:

Ukiyo Bar has karaoke booths, not sure if that's really what you're looking for though.

I do recall once a certain Irish Eurovision contestant entering the karaoke in the George and losing... :pac:
    Please tell me it was Dana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Please tell me it was Dana.

I would honestly pay good money to see the reaction if Dana turned up for karaoke at the George. It was one who plays for our team anyway.

I would honestly pay good money to see the reaction if Dana turned up for karaoke at the George. It was one who plays for our team anyway.
    Dustin the Turkey is gay?!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

In any event, its sad to see them go.

Some of us remember the George from 1996 (I was 16!) and it was different back then but there was something mythical about it. Back when it was seriously dangerous to go in or come out of it, it was a safe haven (which probably means nothing nowadays) but it actually meant something back then!! It symbolised alot more than just a cash-cow. and yes it has become very tacky and no matter how many times it is ''refurbished'' it still looks terrible but there's soemthing cool about the place also. mind you i'd change the entire layout and the ENTIRE colour scheme.

As for the Dragon, I was never 100% sold on the place and like Azezil, I'm old enough to remember HAM and Friday nights in the POD *cough cough*

And Dragon defo aided in the dilution of the scene, but, it also brough some competition to the scene and there wasa value for money battle in the early Dragon days but then it became very expensive.

Capital Bars as a whole seems to be incredibly poorly managed, the financial recession can in no way help but they have been run into the ground.

I only hope the a phoenix syndrome happens here and the two businesses are re-opened, and re-styled and made profitable.

Good example would be the demise of gubu and the complete success of Panti Bar

*sometimes change is good tho*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

That's not karaoke.. that's nonsense. If I want to be alone in a room & sing, or just there with some mates.. I can do that at home! The point is to share the songs with others. :)

I don't find that all that surprising. Singing the kind of s(*$& picked for Eurovision.. your vocal chords must get permanently trashed... kind of like they do for people who smoke 3 20-packs of fags every day for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think the flounge is running karaoke now, but it is some weeknight!

Of the two I far prefer Dragon, George is always full of ignorant wa**kers and plebs so far up themselves they wouldn't know if you were (you would think that would require being good looking). Supply and demand though, since panti-bar opened there just isn't enough gays to go round!

stephen_n wrote: »

Of the two I far prefer Dragon, George is always full of ignorant wa**kers and plebs so far up themselves they wouldn't know if you were (you would think that would require being good looking). Supply and demand though, since panti-bar opened there just isn't enough gays to go round!
    Funny, I always found the opposite to be true. Always found the Dragon full of stuck up posers and the G far more relaxed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

stephen_n wrote: »

yep Front Lounge does karaoke on a Tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

azezil wrote: »
    Funny, I always found the opposite to be true. Always found the Dragon full of stuck up posers and the G far more relaxed :)

Different strokes I guess :) maybe it's the fact that I'm less inclined towards Irish Gays that makes Dragon more attractive, that and the music policy of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement