Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING - NAVAN CREDIT UNION!!

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Not really to bank robbers, but to regular people.

They have installed web cameras at each counter on the left, so you will be filmed close up, for what I don't know. Could be social welfare based or something.

I have been informed by someone that they might actually NOT be allowed to do this. But we'll see how this pans out and what exactly they're up to. :mad::mad:

mal

I might just close my account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I presume rather than web cams (inference being broadcast to the web) that it is some form of cctv. If my understanding of it is correct then they need a sign up to tell you they are recording your image and who on the premises is responsible (this under data protection legislation).

Where did you get the notion that it has anything to do with social welfare? Sounds a bit weird tbh. I don't believe there is any tie up.

Its probably a security measure of some sort (whether that makes sense or not is a different matter).

I'd suggest rather than waiting and allowing speculation run riffe that it would be a good idea to ask them in a friendly manner what its all about.

A little anecdote - I was recently in a car park sussing out a camera which had a fairly long lens which I was looking at buying. Two ladies passed and I heard one of the old dears saying "see them two over there (me and the chap I was buying off), thems the guards" - my point being they couldn't have been further from the truth but probably went back to their community telling them how the "guards" were photographing the car park of the shopping centre and everyone to be careful. Hence, I think it's well worth your piece of mind having the chat with them.

Actually, if it was social welfare related then no one with anything to hide would have anything to worry about? But i'd be highly surprised if it was tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

I would assume, that when the girl types your account number into the computer, someone upstairs keeps a tab of this and has a photo of u and the amount you added or withdrew.

paranoia, maybe. maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I'd assume that this is an anti-identity theft measure to cut down on fraudulent transactions. There's a shocking amount of people who move house who forget that they have an old credit union book in a drawer somewhere. When I worked for a bank once, had a customer who sold his car with the ATM card and PIN number in the glovebox. Got cleaned out, took him two weeks to cop it.

But fraudsters don't need your book, they just have to go through your rubbish to get the vital information required to access your account at any financial institutions. Once they get a paying in or withdrawal slip, it's simple enough for them to knock off some form of fake ID to go with it.

When I sold my house in another town in 2005, I moved out 6 weeks after the sale was agreed, and came back then a month later to tidy every thing up and move all my furniture to Navan once contracts were signed. Came back again 3 days later (Wed) to find the 11 black sacks I had prepared for bin day have been cut open and everything emptied ot and examined for any personal information. Someone had been wathcing my house for the best part of 2 months from the time the sale agreed sign went up waiting for themoment when the clearout would have been completed.

I shred all my bills after payment, even my Vodafone one......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

malene wrote: »
    paranoia, maybe.

mm hm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not really to bank robbers, but to regular people.

They have installed web cameras at each counter on the left, so you will be filmed close up, for what I don't know. Could be social welfare based or something.

I have been informed by someone that they might actually NOT be allowed to do this. But we'll see how this pans out and what exactly they're up to. :mad::mad:

mal

I might just close my account.

Why so angry about being filmed? You are filmed on a daily basis in many locations - in shops, on the street, on public transport etc.. I personally don't see the issue.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Why so angry about being filmed? You are filmed on a daily basis in many locations - in shops, on the street, on public transport etc.. I personally don't see the issue.

security cameras are fine, but webcams?? An invasion of privacy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

security cameras are fine, but webcams?? An invasion of privacy I think.

They're all cameras though! Where's the difference?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nangieboo

They told me that its only used when you are cashing a cheque???? I was in yesterday but they didn't use it as it wasn't even directed at me so maybe its true.:)

Nangieboo wrote: »
    They told me that its only used when you are cashing a cheque???? I was in yesterday but they didn't use it as it wasn't even directed at me so maybe its true.:)

hmm, cheques, okay.

Advertisement