Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millward Brown Lansdowne Poll - 53% Yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Good stuff. Caveat though, wasn't the yes side leading well up to the final week or two last time? Memory fails me but I could have sworn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nevore wrote: »
    Good stuff. Caveat though, wasn't the yes side leading well up to the final week or two last time? Memory fails me but I could have sworn.

Yes but the No side was gaining support week after week while the Yes side was stagnant or losing support. You also have to factor in close to a 50% rate of Don't Knows at the start of the campaign last time around. There are much fewer of these this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ahh, very good. The specifics were lost to me. Thanks nesf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

The polls are just that, polls :) The only one that matters is on October 2nd. Cliched but true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The only question now is by how much will the No side lose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

View wrote: »

I don't know! LOL

I think the don't knows swang to No the last time, Libertas and "if you don't know, vote No" point, swung it.

I thought the No side would win by less than last time a month ago, feel it has swung the other way now, thought tight.

There is a certain shyness in saying I am voting No, similar to somebody saying I will vote Ganley in the EU Elections. In that way the No side is always under represented.

The Don't knows are the key and so far, they seem to be swinging Yes, unlike last time.

2 weeks yet!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Patiently awaiting the rush of some No supporters with the claim that this poll is also rigged in favour of the Yes side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Paddypower is 1/12 for a yes vote, that's pretty much all the evidence you need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It's encouraging, but the I don't knows worry me. I just get a bad feeling that like last time, the I don't knows are more likely to swing towards a no vote than yes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

DamienH wrote: »
    Paddypower is 1/12 for a yes vote, that's pretty much all the evidence you need :D

paddy power eh :D

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It's encouraging, but the I don't knows worry me. I just get a bad feeling that like last time, the I don't knows are more likely to swing towards a no vote than yes...

same here, the bull**** coming out of the no side this year knows no boundaries, hopefully people would wake up and smell the ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    same here, the bull**** coming out of the no side this year knows no boundaries, hopefully people would wake up and smell the ****

I fear we may overestimate people :o

In saying that, not everybody comes to a site like this, or talks to other people about Lisbon who can point out the ridiculousness (its a word :)) of the no arguments. They see their big scary posters, and with no posters on the yes side refuting them, they take them for their word, or at least become afraid of the consequences of Lisbon.

It'll be very tight methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I fear we may overestimate people :o

In saying that, not everybody comes to a site like this, or talks to other people about Lisbon who can point out the ridiculousness (its a word :)) of the no arguments. They see their big scary posters, and with no posters on the yes side refuting them, they take them for their word, or at least become afraid of the consequences of Lisbon.

after overhearing a conversation about Lisbon on a bus from people that you would not expect to be interested in politics

once again sadly i have to agree with you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BlondieCait

DamienH wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Is this the Paddy Power you spreak of?

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship09/news/story?id=4405352

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

View wrote: »

This comment just strikes me as sour grapes for losing the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'll believe it on polling day - not a moment before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I'll believe it on polling day - not a moment before.

I have to agree with you. There is only one poll that counts at the end of the day. I think once it was decided that there was going to be a second referendum then in my mind it was always going to be a yes vote. One of the interesting things for me is what do we after when all is done and dusted and we have a yes vote. What does it mean for Irish politics that a sizable minority of the public electorate voted contra to what almost all of the political mainstream suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. There is only one poll that counts at the end of the day. I think once it was decided that there was going to be a second referendum then in my mind it was always going to be a yes vote. One of the interesting things for me is what do we after when all is done and dusted and we have a yes vote. What does it mean for Irish politics that a sizable minority of the public electorate voted contra to what almost all of the political mainstream suggested.

That's usually the case, I think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

squod wrote: »
    This comment just strikes me as sour grapes for losing the last time.

Not at all - I am merely anticipating that with the legal guarentees in place that what isn't in the treaty really isn't in the treaty it will pass. Look at the figures yourself - even if the No side persuades all the Don't Knows to vote No, the No side still loses. Barring an amazing turn-around, the No campaigners are just wasting their time...

The polls had the Yes side way ahead last time, though not to this extent, IIRC. Paddy Power paid out on a Yes last time, or closed betting, well, so they said?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

K-9 wrote: »
    The polls had the Yes side way ahead last time, though not to this extent, IIRC. Paddy Power paid out on a Yes last time, or closed betting, well, so they said?

They didnt pay me

bastards

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

Not really - April 26th 2008 RedC poll:

35% Yes
    31% No
    34% undecided

And that was April - about 5-6 weeks before the referendum. The last RedC poll on the 13th September was:

62% Yes
    23% No
    15% Undecided

Also, the trend that time was an increasing No - this time...well, see here:

http://www.redcresearch.ie/images/SBP13thSeptPoll2009ChartDeck-lisbon2.jpg

That's from here.

As they say, though, there's only one poll that counts.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Thanks for that link Scoffclaw. This poll data shows the trend throughout 2008:http://www.redcresearch.ie/documents/SBP8thJunePollReport.pdf

The Yes vote never got above 43% in 2008. This time is polling at around 52%.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Thanks for that link Scoffclaw. This poll data shows the trend throughout 2008:http://www.redcresearch.ie/documents/SBP8thJunePollReport.pdf

The Yes vote never got above 43% in 2008. This time is polling at around 52%.

Thanks, I was looking for that one! The difference is actually a little more stark, in that it's 43% vs 62% when you compare RedC only. The 53% is Millward Brown, and I'm never comfortable directly comparing polls by different polling companies.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Not really - April 26th 2008 RedC poll:

35% Yes
    31% No
    34% undecided

And that was April - about 5-6 weeks before the referendum. The last RedC poll on the 13th September was:

62% Yes
    23% No
    15% Undecided

Also, the trend that time was an increasing No - this time...well, see here:

http://www.redcresearch.ie/images/SBP13thSeptPoll2009ChartDeck-lisbon2.jpg

That's from here.

As they say, though, there's only one poll that counts.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

LOL, I was going to defend my post at all costs! LOL

Amazing the massive change though and then the REAL vote.

Shows you polls are pointless! No side will gain, how much is the conumdrom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Thanks, I was looking for that one! The difference is actually a little more stark, in that it's 43% vs 62% when you compare RedC only. The 53% is Millward Brown, and I'm never comfortable directly comparing polls by different polling companies.

I agree. I was using the 52% Yes figure for all respondents from the last Red C poll. The 62% figure from last was among likely voters. Those polls from last year are, I am presuming, for all respondents.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I agree. I was using the 52% Yes figure for all respondents from the last Red C poll. The 62% figure from last was among likely voters. Those polls from last year are, I am presuming, for all respondents.

Ah - good point.

standing corrected,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Agreed.

I'm always interested that such polls don't include a fourth option of "I don't intend to vote". I can see how its not entirely relevant to the outcome, but I'm still surprised.

If, for example, one saw an increase of "don't intend to vote" in line with a decrease in support for one view or the other....that would be quite significant. It would show that for some reason people are deciding not to vote rather than to support "their" side.

I could see No voters, for example, deciding its a lost cause.
    I could see Yes voters, in the same vein, deciding that its already done and dusted, so they don't need to personally bother.
    Mrmoe wrote:
    What does it mean for Irish politics that a sizable minority of the public electorate voted contra to what almost all of the political mainstream suggested.
    Wikipedia will show that this isn't all-too-uncommon for Irish referenda.

It is, of course, part of the nature of democracy.

Advertisement