Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Broadband situation

• 18-09-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have eircom broadband, and its a pathetic service. EVERY night, from about 6-11pm i experience lag, but thats not even the problem I have. The main issue for me is that my internet connection disconnects randomly during peak hours. While it may only be disconnected for about 10 seconds, it means that i have to reconnect to whatever game i was playing, and that takes over a minute. Basically, as if a horrible connection with super-high pings isn't bad enough, i have to deal with disconnecting/reconnecting bull**** every single night. It makes competitive gaming near impossible.

Of course, like everyone else's experiences with eircom, its clear what is the problem but they won't do a damned thing to fix it. They simply sold too many broadband packages and the exchange is getting clogged up during peak hours.

My local exchange is in Newtownmountkennedy and while there are other broadband providers using that exchange, this is where i'm slightly puzzled. As far as i'm aware, the exchange is owned by Eircom. Eircom leases lines to other broadband providers and they all provide to the area. The problem is that even if i switched providers, i would still be using the Newtownmountkennedy exchange, and therefore would still get the lagging+disconnects during peak hours. I've looked at the other available options (i.e satellite broadband), but thats completely useless for online gaming.

Can anyone a) correct me if i'm wrong on anything to do with what i've just said, and b) tell me if theres anything that i can do to get broadband that doesn't disconnect?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Lots of people are having the peak hours lagfest alright, all over the country. One poster here claims upgrades to the exchanges are incoming to fix this.

The disconnects are possibly nothing to do with the lag (just how high is your ping to Jolt.co.uk?), maybe other more usual ADSL issues like low SNR?
    Post up your peak ping times to Jolt and your connection stats (Attenuation and Line SNR) as well as BB package details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shredd

I have the Eircom 3mb package. I frequently do speed tests and off-peak hours, i get a consistent 2500 kbps.

I took these stats at 11.30pm, a little after peak, but the results speak for themselves :confused:.... basically explains my frequent disconnects.

SN Margin (dB) 6.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.00 30.50

I'll be calling Eircom tomorrow to see if theres anything that can be done to improve these stats, as they are truly dreadful.

Pinging Jolt.co.uk [84.234.17.86] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=122

Ping statistics for 84.234.17.86:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 41ms

Now, those pings aren't exactly terrible, but not amazing. I know the lagging that you can get on Eircom during peak times as much as anyone, as i monitor my in-game ping+ventrillo ping while gaming (basically if there is any lag over peak times, i will know about it). From my past experiences, connection speed+pings can go absolutely anywhere during peak times, sometimes slower than dial-up.

I'm not really that worried about the lag during peak times as much as i am about my dismal line stats. Any recommendations/advice for me before i phone Eircom tomorrow? Is it even fixable?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Shredd wrote: »
    I have the Eircom 3mb package. I frequently do speed tests and off-peak hours, i get a consistent 2500 kbps.

I took these stats at 11.30pm, a little after peak, but the results speak for themselves :confused:.... basically explains my frequent disconnects.

SN Margin (dB) 6.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.00 30.50

I'll be calling Eircom tomorrow to see if theres anything that can be done to improve these stats, as they are truly dreadful.

I'm not really that worried about the lag during peak times as much as i am about my dismal line stats. Any recommendations/advice for me before i phone Eircom tomorrow? Is it even fixable?

Thanks.

Well sounds like you already know the issue, your line quality is horrendous.

Attenuation Rates:

20bB. and below = Outstanding
    20dB-30dB. = Excellent
    30dB-40dB. = Very Good
    40dB-50dB. = Good
    50dB-60dB. = Poor and may experience connectivity issues
    60dB. and above = Bad and will experience connectivity issues

For S/N Margin Readings:

6bB. or below = Bad and will experience no line synchronisation or intermittent synchronisation problems.
    7dB-10dB. = Fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions.
    11dB-20dB. = Good with little or no synchronisation problems
    20dB-28dB. = Excellent
    29dB. or above = Outstanding

On both SNR and Attn. you are on the bad side of the scale. Your Attn you cant really do much about (other than dropping to lower speed broadband, its determined mainly via distance from exchange) but your SNR is (effectively) your household's line quality. Plug out all extra phones, faxes etc and try again. Try connect the Modem at the entry point (before any telephone line extensions) into the house and test again.

I assume you have never asked Eircom to put you on low Interleaving to improve pings? In your case, you need max (ie default) Interleaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shredd

Rang eircom up today, they told me to get rid of the splitter (make the line run directly into the modem for an hour) so that they could run some tests. Turns out that its definitely just an extremely low quality line coming into the house. They said they'd send a technician.

Btw, these are my pings to jolt tonight... Lagfest.

Pinging jolt.co.uk [84.234.17.86] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=585ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=582ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=687ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=661ms TTL=122

Minimum = 582ms, Maximum = 687ms, Average = 628ms

Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=840ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=822ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=526ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=655ms TTL=122

Minimum = 526ms, Maximum = 840ms, Average = 710ms

Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=722ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=755ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=701ms TTL=122
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=715ms TTL=122

Minimum = 701ms, Maximum = 755ms, Average = 723ms

569716418.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Bad line quality does not cause bad ping times. Simple as.

With attenuation/signal quality, either the line works at the connected speed or else errors force it to disconnect and resync, usually at a slower rate. Also, line quality issues would occur randomly at any time of the day (or else rarely at light-up time, when dodgy street lights muck up DSL signals) and would result in the modem internet light sometimes going red if it's an eircom netopia one. Along with the internet simply not working for a couple of minutes of course.

The 500ms ping times are absolutely typical of contention issues that people have posted on boards since 2006 from exchanges like Dunshaughlin, Monasterevan, Clonee and sometimes bigger ones like Dundalk, Drogheda and Blanchardstown. In the case of a small non-tandem exchange like NMK, the best bet is to nag eircom to do something about contention in the evenings, as it's making the internet almost unusable for you. Also find anyone else with issues in the NMK area to complain also. I know that worked in the case of Dunshaughlin and Monasterevan but they were bigger places. A search will reveal more.

Btw, I'm not saying that line is great, but if it's not disconnecting, it's not an issue. My BT connection is an up to 24 mbps line, meaning my signal margin is never above 7dB as the line is going flat out. But it's still rock solid.

The mediocre but stable pings in the mornings etc. is due to the laws of physics and even eircom can't "transport" electrons to the UK much faster than 30 odd milliseconds. A direct fibre optic connection would only manage 15-25 ms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement