Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown subliminal video

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey,
    i'm just after watchin derren brown's "how to control the nation" on channel four where he played a subliminal video that was meant to stick you to your seat. apart from having a heavy feeling in my arms and legs it had no effect on me. Did anyone else see the show? Did the video have any effect on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

well you got the heavy feeling in arms and legs at least, im sure any of the hypnotists here would have no problem expanding on that for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I watched it, no effect, though I wasnt watching on a big screen just a small telly

havent seen it yet, its the bit before the video was the most important AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

zuroph wrote: »
    havent seen it yet, its the bit before the video was the most important AFAIK.

What is an Afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

What is an Afaik?

As Far As I Know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

As Far As I Know

Thank you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

yes , i cought a very quick flash of what appeared to be an "olde style" illustration of someone tied to a chair - anyone else get this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It had nothing to do with subliminal messages or anything like that.

He got people to sit in a fixed position with the hands and arms in the same position for several minutes. The "trick" will work (for some) even without watching the video. It's to do with the muscles.

Jeez, as kids, we used to do similar tricks, even without having ever having heard of the word "subliminal".

How many of us have sometimes found it hard to get up out of the seat??

I'm losing my admiration for Darren fast if this is the best he can come up with these days.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It had nothing to do with subliminal messages or anything like that.

He got people to sit in a fixed position with the hands and arms in the same position for several minutes. The "trick" will work (for some) even without watching the video. It's to do with the muscles.

Jeez, as kids, we used to do similar tricks, even without having ever having heard of the word "subliminal".

How many of us have sometimes found it hard to get up out of the seat??

I'm losing my admiration for Darren fast if this is the best he can come up with these days.:mad:
    I disagree! I've never been stuck to my seat after sitting down and remaining still for a few minutes:confused: the video had no effect on me but I've already heard of people who were stuck to their seats for several minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

horgan_p wrote: »
    yes , i cought a very quick flash of what appeared to be an "olde style" illustration of someone tied to a chair - anyone else get this ?

Yup I saw that aswell, i think thats key to the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I thought it and him was brill, just wants to talk about it all nite, never felt anything like that before, going mad to watch it again now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 KrazyKirby

jd007 wrote: »
    Yup I saw that aswell, i think thats key to the whole thing.

Yah i saw that too! .. It flashed twice during it didn't it? Still ahd no affect on me tho .. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I'd say someone will have sky+ it and bound to be on E4 soon I hope. I think it was an excellent show and he's on top form. Liked the show on it's own merits too.

Stryderman wrote: »
    I've already heard of people who were stuck to their seats for several minutes

Of course you have:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i saw it and watched de video, and put hand on legs so on, and then after video i could not get up, i,m still in the chair,:D no really though it was hard to get up because u relax and become comfortable, then when he says get up , u dont want to,, i hesitated few times to get up, then i got up,,, its just been lazy that makes u not want to get up,, least thats now i felt,,, i mean thing about it u come home from work u sit down to relax, and we dont want to get up for anything,,so i can understand people not wanting to get up, rather than not been able,or thinking there not able,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

iv watched it a few times now... the ol sky+

first time i watched it, took ages to get up.

second time, took a little less time.

third time, i got a new chair, right up beside the telly, couldnt move my fingers even for about 3 minutes.

honestly, im a sceptic like, well impressed.

honestly, im a sceptic like, well impressed.

I'm impressed as well.

It's utterly remarkable how many people can be duped!

I'm in the wrong business.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd been watching the whole show, that flash image of somebody tied to a chair happened a few times, was funny to think that might have anything to do with this trick :D

I got a very very heavy feeling in my arms, but I wasn't in an armchair so that didn't matter. I put my hands on my thighs and tried to push up, got my arse maybe 1 inch from the chair, was utterly exhausted with my legs feeling like they'd done a workout. The harder I tried to get up, the more tired I got - Eventually I sat down for a minute or so, tried again and managed to get up. It didn't have any effect on my mam or sister though apart from the heavy limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It did work on some people. For me, i just felt really heavy legged, and a weird sensation. It felt like i had ran miles...i got up but wasn't easy.
    Another guy here, just got nothing at all from it.

But my other housemate did actually get stuck in chair, she really could not get up. I was amazed, and at 1st we thought she was messing, but she really couldn't. Arms worked, but legs just seemed to shut down...it was incredible to see, and a bit scary!

She was ok before he did blue screen thing...but for a good 2 or 3 mins she could not get out of chair!

We recorded it, and i want to give it a try again tomorrow, and hope it works on me this time. But the girl that it happened to, doesn't want to..it seems to have freaked her out a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

But even if it was only a heavy feeeling they got, they still got something, have to say i got a great buzz out of it, thought it was brill and now cant wait for next friday:)

• Advertisement

fuzzy, it does work on lots of people, not for the reasons he said, or for yours. Its hypnosis, and a very simple demo of atrophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I was stuck on the seat for a few minutes, was laughing deliriously as my arms just felt weightless and my knees were like jelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Do you need to watch the whole show for this to work or just the bit with the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

jd007 wrote: »
    Do you need to watch the whole show for this to work or just the bit with the video?

I don't know about the whole show, but definitely watch the bit immediately before the video where Derren is talking to the camera, and focus on what he is saying.

I'm not sure, but I think that is essentially his "command", and the same after the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

I tried it and became unable to get up from the chair. The harder i tried the harder it seemed to get up. By the time the people came on the phone calls no matter how hard i pushed with my arms I could not get up. while the messages came up saying we would soon be able to get up and congratulations etc it was like wasting energy trying, then as soon as the blue screen and tone came up I got up no problem! AMAZING!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Just going to start by saying i'm actually quite a big derren brown fan, and although i thought the lotto stunt was, well, a bit ****, he's still a great performer. So just my take on the entire thing:

It doesn't involve hypnosis. In fact you're not even allowed to broadcast hypnosis routines, or at least any part of the routine that might actually influence someone. Check the ofcom guidlines, it's hilarious, but true. Very old fashioned, especially considering that "hypnosis" in the sense theyre referring to, and in general imo, is a bit of a myth, and certainly cannot stick someone to a chair

That said the suggestion is there and the assosciation in peoples minds with a video like that is that hypnosis might be involved in the trick. It's a misdirection.

It doesn't involve subliminal messages. Again, these are not the powerful forces people imagine. The image of the man on the chair was meant to be seen, and meant to be seen consciously. This way, you think that you spotted something going on, and part of the trick, but you really only saw what he wanted you to see. Honestly they could have put it in for hundreths of a second, far too fast for anyone to notice, but chose to make it obvious. Why? Misdirection again.

All that said i defintely believe the effect will have worked on quite a percentage of people. Here's my reasoning behind why:

-Derren brown is great at messing with peoples heads, altering their decisions, reading them, etc. Everyone knows this, lending the claim of the effect plausibility.
    -Just in case you didn't know about him the video is played toward the end of an hour long show - the preceding 45ish minutes arent there to fill time or to entertain. They're there to sell browns skill, make you believe in his "power" and think "jesus, that guys decent at this mind ****ing business", and most importantly, that he's capable of pulling off the effect
    -The suggestion of hypnosis/glaringly obvious subliminal images are there so that anyone who's done a bit of reading and fancies themselves as being able to see through things will go "ooooh look, subliminal imagery, i bet thats how he does it, i read it's very powerful in the readers digest once, and my aunts third cousin got hypnotised off the fags". This whole spiel again makes the viewer believe that theyre being condition/primed/whatever.
    -brown says "watch this and you'll be stuck to the chair"
    -viewer totally believes that brown can make them do more or less anything, and has been doing so
    -thus, viewer feels stuck to the chair

You stick yourself to the chair, based on a belief in browns ability to stick you to the chair. It''s little different to a simple ouija board imo - you believe that the marker will move, so you make it move (apologies to any sad and sorry "grown ups" who still believe in the glorified child's toy that it is). You believe you're going to be stuck to a chair enough, and you'll stick yourself to it. Thats browns real genius in this piece, he does absolutely nothing, he makes you do it to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

hoolio wrote: »
    All that said i defintely believe the effect will have worked on quite a percentage of people. Here's my reasoning behind why:

-Derren brown is great at messing with peoples heads, altering their decisions, reading them, etc. Everyone knows this, lending the claim of the effect plausibility.
    -Just in case you didn't know about him the video is played toward the end of an hour long show - the preceding 45ish minutes arent there to fill time or to entertain. They're there to sell browns skill, make you believe in his "power" and think "jesus, that guys decent at this mind ****ing business", and most importantly, that he's capable of pulling off the effect
    -The suggestion of hypnosis/glaringly obvious subliminal images are there so that anyone who's done a bit of reading and fancies themselves as being able to see through things will go "ooooh look, subliminal imagery, i bet thats how he does it, i read it's very powerful in the readers digest once, and my aunts third cousin got hypnotised off the fags". This whole spiel again makes the viewer believe that theyre being condition/primed/whatever.
    -brown says "watch this and you'll be stuck to the chair"
    -viewer totally believes that brown can make them do more or less anything, and has been doing so
    -thus, viewer feels stuck to the chair

You stick yourself to the chair, based on a belief in browns ability to stick you to the chair. It''s little different to a simple ouija board imo - you believe that the marker will move, so you make it move (apologies to any sad and sorry "grown ups" who still believe in the glorified child's toy that it is). You believe you're going to be stuck to a chair enough, and you'll stick yourself to it. Thats browns real genius in this piece, he does absolutely nothing, he makes you do it to yourself

Good job. You just described hypnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

oeb wrote: »
    Good job. You just described hypnosis.

Good job. You just displayed an inability to understand a concept.

Add some content or spare me your "wit" please.

He's not being witty, just very straight with you. what you've described is a form of hypnosis, or at the very least re-hypnosis. We refer to it as waking hypnosis, or permanosis. Basically, certain people will have been hypnotised before, or are in a much more suggestable position for hypnosis due to their beliefs in the power or in the power of the hypnotist. All it takes is a proven hypnotist to awaken this in someone and they can be "put under" without ever closing their eyes or "sleeping".
    What Derren has done is counted on this phenomona in a large scale experiment, and its paid off. Granted some people will say it didnt work and everyone else must be lying, but there has been a massive number of people who it has worked for.

As an aside, the Ofcom rules arent the worst, you should look into the (thankfully never tested in court) 1952 hypnosis act in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

hoolio wrote: »
    Good job. You just displayed an inability to understand a concept.

Add some content or spare me your "wit" please.

What you described as 'not hypnosis' is as far as I am concerned, a pretty textbook breakdown of what hypnosis actually is.

Advertisement