Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown subliminal video

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I really don't understand this kind of reaction to Derren's stuff.
    How is it any different to the amateur who says he's going to "read your mind and divine your card" or one you says he's going to "teleport a card from your hand to his" or one that says "he'll use magic powers to prevent the girl from dying as he saws her in half"?

Yes it's a more complex "explanation" and arguably more believable.
    But remember that many of the more obviously nonsense explanations where once much more convincing.
    In the 1800's, before the Masked Magician and Youtube where ruining everyone's fun, the only explanation for Sawing A Lady in Half was "magic".

What Derren Brown has done, has make magic seem like actual magic rather than a trick.
    Probably the only one who has done so in the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I'd say the only people it worked on were the people who desperately wanted to believe that Derren Brown could stick them to their seats. It's a sub-conscious form of confirmation bias where a person will so desperately want something to be true that the brain will play a trick to accomodate their own bias. Hence i'd say some of Derren Brown's biggest fans experienced some rigid kind of sticking sensation because they deserately wanted to feel it, of course coupled with the physical explanation given earlier in the thread where sitting still(and purely concentratig on sitting still) will lead to mild fatigue in the limbs. Which is trick in itself, and perhaps the point of the experiment(the confirmation bias bit i mean).
    And of course anyone skeptical about the experiment from the getgo wouldn't experience any kind of paralysis, maybe just the mild fatigue, purely physical.

rich1874 wrote: »
    I'd say the only people it worked on were the people who desperately wanted to believe that Derren Brown could stick them to their seats. It's a sub-conscious form of confirmation bias where a person will so desperately want something to be true that the brain will play a trick to accomodate their own bias. Hence i'd say some of Derren Brown's biggest fans experienced some rigid kind of sticking sensation because they deserately wanted to feel it, of course coupled with the physical explanation given earlier in the thread where sitting still(and purely concentratig on sitting still) will lead to mild fatigue in the limbs. Which is trick in itself, and perhaps the point of the experiment(the confirmation bias bit i mean).
    And of course anyone skeptical about the experiment from the getgo wouldn't experience any kind of paralysis, maybe just the mild fatigue, purely physical.
    And the girl just tucks herself into the top half of the box while the magician saws it in half.

King Mob wrote: »
    And the girl just tucks herself into the top half of the box while the magician saws it in half.

Em yeah, i guess so...
    My comment wasn't a vent against your best mate Derren Brown, i'm just saying that that's a trick in itself, and it's his showmanship that makes it seem so real. He could sell sand to the Arabs that fella.

• Advertisement

Em yeah, i guess so...
    My comment wasn't a vent against your best mate Derren Brown, i'm just saying that that's a trick in itself, and it's his showmanship that makes it seem so real. He could sell sand to the Arabs that fella.
    And the magician doesn't actually saw the lady in half.

I'm honestly not seeing the difference between that trick and what Derren Brown does.

And the magician doesn't actually saw the lady in half.

I'm honestly not seeing the difference between that trick and what Derren Brown does.

well i've already pretty much agreed with you, I AM trying to say that's it's a trick. More complex, but a trick nonetheless, I can't see what you're arguing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

IMO the more you convince yourself you'll be stuck the more likely it is you will be stuck. Didn't work for a skeptic like me, despite the fact that I often find it hard to get my lazy arse off the chair!

well i've already pretty much agreed with you, I AM trying to say that's it's a trick. More complex, but a trick nonetheless, I can't see what you're arguing here.

And no one is saying it's not a trick.

Sawing a lady in half is also a trick, but why not reveal that one too?

Derren is doing exactly what the two-bit magician sawing the lady does, giving a bull**** explanation to make the show more enjoyable.

And no one is saying it's not a trick.

Sawing a lady in half is also a trick, but why not reveal that one too?

Derren is doing exactly what the two-bit magician sawing the lady does, giving a bull**** explanation to make the show more enjoyable.

Yes that's why I said he's a great salesman. Like any good magician.

• Advertisement
Advertisement