Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins on the Late Late

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

anyone here watching it now?
    Tagged:

Comments

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Tubridy is a plonker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

look at all those people putting their hands up for believing in god... seems tragic.. i wish they would have picked one of them at random and questioned their beliefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Was surprised that there weren't a few more atheists in audience. :D
    Anyone else think that Dawkins was a bit annoyed at Tubridy jumping to god delusion rather his new book?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Yeah just saw it there. I actually feel quite embarrassed at the tone Tubridy used to interview him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

What a useless interview. 90% of it was about his LAST book, for the sole purpose of stirring some ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

God dam Tubridy was twat. He kept pressing Dawkins about god etc and wouldn't talk about his new book. When Dawkins finally called him out on it, he seemed annoyed when he had to, Tubridy just passed it off and carried on. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Wow, that interview was bad. Asking Dawkins about his own funeral, where the fcuk was that going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Better than the Pat Kenny Late Late with RD in that Tubridy didn't let him get ambushed by fundy idiots in the audience and the one audience member involved was an intelligent priest. Worse than the Pat Kenny Late Late with RD in that with Pat Kenny you felt he was fair with RD and performing the role of Devils advocate when putting to RD some of the loopier questions whereas with Tubridy, it disn't sound like he was playing devils advocate, he sounds like a believer himself. It really felt like he as throwing live hand grenades for Dawkins to catch. Him making the facetious comparisons between the easter bunny and God and getting Dawkins to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Hmmmm judging by that show of hands we're not very well represented by your average Late Late audience. I'd say about 95% of people had their hands up for belief. Such a shame to be Irish in this time.

Re: Turbidy - whoever it was I told you so! Absolute moronic interviewer I'm switching over to J Ross, that's how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That'll teach me to stay in watching the Late Late Show on a Friday......

Cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

When Dawkins made the point for brain-size to continue increasing in humans' future evolution requiring intelligent people to pump out the most offspring, I hoped for the question 'Who in the audience have large numbers of kids?' Guaranteed that all the same hands would have went up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bmowner

seems though, that creationism rules in Irish Society!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That was painful. Stupid questions and a token (but likeable) opposing opinion in the audience.

I'm loathe to admit it, but I also was embarrassed by the all the hands in the audience.

Seriously - is it Saturday night? The LL Show is Tubridy Tonight a day early.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm disheartened to see the reaction here. I'm struggling to believe that no one thought Dawkins was actually worse in terms of standing by his point of view than Tubridy or the priest. He was like Cowen standing over his term as Finance Minister.

At least the priest paid Dawkins some respect. The same couldn't be said for Dawkins who barreled through the interview denying that anyone has a right to believe in anything but the non-existence of God, skirting around questions with bland analogies and mincing his words.

Now, I'm hardly objective on this, because I'm an (often ardent) atheist. However, anyone with a grain of decency should at least respect that not everyone holds your views and not everyone who doesn't hold those views is deluded. I somehow doubt the qualifications of a man who says, 'science explains everything'. It doesn't. Ok, religion explains SFA, but until everything can be proven by scientific means, some scope for flexibility of beliefs needs to be maintained.

His attitude was utterly condescending and I don't blame Tubridy for being 'smart' with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

God dam Tubridy was twat. He kept pressing Dawkins about god etc and wouldn't talk about his new book. When Dawkins finally called him out on it, he seemed annoyed when he had to, Tubridy just passed it off and carried on. :mad:

T'was funny when he said to priest. "I'm delighted that you've gone back to my new book rather than the old one." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd lean towards Dawkins beliefs but the arrogence and contempt with which he puts his points accross does him no favours.

Nor does the fact that he was clearly only interested in selling his book.

Actually, hullaballoo, I think you have a point. Dawkins did come off a bit smug. "I'm right and everyone else is stupid" kinda thing.

So basically everyone involved deserves a slap.

His attitude was condescending, but do you blame him? Tubridy questioned him about a topic that doesn't relate to his new book, he spent 90% of the interview talking about that topic; Dawkins was there to promote and talk about his new book, not his book of three years ago. If I were Richard, I'd have been annoyed too, and I'm sure that annoyance would have evinced itself as condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Both yer man from tonight and Gerard Casey were my lecturers in philosophy when I was in UCD.

Ironically enough, Casey lectured logic... Always liked yer man from tonight though.

Re: the audience, what do you expect? What type of people would actually want to attend a Late Late Show? It's Grimsville, population moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I somehow doubt the qualifications of a man who says, 'science explains everything'. It doesn't. Ok, religion explains SFA, but until everything can be proven by scientific means, some scope for flexibility of beliefs needs to be maintained.

Science:

(1 It does not explain everything...yet
    (2 It'š far more logical to assume we do not have an explanation
    for something yet, than to pretend 'god done it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

His attitude was condescending, but do you blame him? Tubridy questioned him about a topic that doesn't relate to his new book, he spent 90% of the interview talking about that topic; Dawkins was there to promote and talk about his new book, not his book of three years ago. If I were Richard, I'd have been annoyed too, and I'm sure that annoyance would have evinced itself as condescension.

I'd suggest that the general Irish public would have limited knowledge of him and would be more interested in hearing him talk about what he is most well known for. I'd have no interest in hearing Dawkins talk about evolution and I felt that Tubridy asked the question that most people (myself included) would have wanted him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Some thoughts:

Turbidy is still a twat, and will probably remain a twat.
    Also, the show of hands for god was a bit disheartning:(

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I actually logged on to start a post about this and I saw on the home page one had just started.

I have always considered Ryan a retard and tonight has confirmed it. I was about to go to bed when I heard him introduce Dawkins so of course I watched it in anticipation of a good theological or scientfic debate with some interesting and hopefully eye opening discussions. Instead Ryan proved to be an embarrassment to the country yet again.

Firstly, he did nothing but talk about the topic of The God Delusion and not his new book.

Secondly, he had done zero research, had clearly never read a word written by the man and as far as I could tell, all he knew was that 'some english bloke who didn't believe in God' was coming on the show.

His questions were inept and lacking any substance. His posture was defensive and dismissive. He had a constant smirk on his face and not once did he attempt to actually dig deep into any of the questions instead asking retarded questions like 'have you thought about your funeral' and asking him to speculate what humans will look like millions of years from now. His linguistic repertoire was laughable forcing phrases into the chaps mouth like 'easter bunny' later using the term to mock the mans arguement.

Then to top it off, he decided to ask for a show of hands of those who believe in God as if his pathetic audience of 100 people were some sort of credible source on theological matters....oh look 95% of Irish retards say they believe in God ergo God exists.

All in all it was a disgrace of an interview that has forever cemented Ryan as one of the most hateable people on the planet in my mind.

I'd be tempted to write a letter or ring RTE however I've a sneaking suspicion it would fall on deaf ears....

RYAN YOU ARE A ****

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm disheartened to see the reaction here. I'm struggling to believe that no one thought Dawkins was actually worse in terms of standing by his point of view than Tubridy or the priest. He was like Cowen standing over his term as Finance Minister.

At least the priest paid Dawkins some respect. The same couldn't be said for Dawkins who barreled through the interview denying that anyone has a right to believe in anything but the non-existence of God, skirting around questions with bland analogies and mincing his words.

Now, I'm hardly objective on this, because I'm an (often ardent) atheist. However, anyone with a grain of decency should at least respect that not everyone holds your views and not everyone who doesn't hold those views is deluded. I somehow doubt the qualifications of a man who says, 'science explains everything'. It doesn't. Ok, religion explains SFA, but until everything can be proven by scientific means, some scope for flexibility of beliefs needs to be maintained.

His attitude was utterly condescending and I don't blame Tubridy for being 'smart' with him.

In fairness, he was on the show to talk about his new book and not the old one. So I don't see why Tubridy had to waste the man's time by dragging up the old book and almost ignoring the new book.

Sure the Nolan sisters were on it earlier to promote their comeback album and tour, it's the very same thing and there's nothing wrong with it. Self-promotion is what half the interviews on TLL are for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I dont blame Dawkins really. He is a blunt man (with good reason) and Tubridy hit him with lots of loaded questions...............
    "So Richard, you see all these people with their hands up, they're all deluded are they?"
    Of course Dawkins is going to answer yes to that question. If he starts getting wishey washey about it, he knows the religious people will jump down his throath and take it that hes not as sure of himself as he thinks he is.

Aside from the whole "Irish people are very gullible" debate, its Tubridy's interviewing technique that completely lacks any kind of finesse. He sposed to be asking the man about his new book, and all he did was barely mention it in 1 or 2 questions. And I never thought Id say it but I think Pat Kenny would have actually handled it better. Tubridy just struck me as not being in the slightest bit interested in what he had to say, more in stirring up the usual anti-atheist sentiment. And as someone else mentioned, he came across as believer who was kind of cross examining Dawkins on his way of thinking.

Tubridy looked very very lightweight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I'd suggest that the general Irish public would have limited knowledge of him and would be more interest in hearing him talk about what he is most well known for.

Evolution is what he is most well known for along with his theory of a gene centred form of evolution and natural selection. The whole God thing comes along later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I'd lean towards Dawkins beliefs but the arrogence and contempt with which he puts his points accross does him no favours.

The problem is that Dawkins is just not very socially adept. Like a lot of very intelligent people he is lacking somewhat in the area of people skills and so comes across as arrogant and condescending. His whole manner of the English gent is not really one that would appeal to Irish people.

Also, not sure why all the hands of the theists going up is depressing, what should we expect? It's simply the default setting for this society, for people who dont' really think about it a belief in god is just what is normal. Doesn't mean any of them are actually religious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dades wrote: »
    Actually, hullaballoo, I think you have a point. Dawkins did come off a bit smug. "I'm right and everyone else is stupid" kinda thing.

So basically everyone involved deserves a slap.

This is a new thing? :pac:

Raging that I missed this, I actually went out of my way to find out who the guests were tonight, and all I could find were the Nolans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Most of the things you have said about Dawkins are obviously false. He was respectful, and never once claimed science explains everything. Nor did he deny the right to believe.

Dawkins was perfectly respectful. The priest was perfectly respectful. Tubridy hijacked the interview to try and kick up a storm (thankfully his plan failed miserably). The interview was not supposed to be about the God Delusion. The interview was supposed to be about Evolution and the book "The Greatest Show on Earth". It was an absolute joke.

• Advertisement

Anyone catch Jimmy Carr?

Their brief chat about God and atheism made up for the Dawkins disaster.
    Great stuff altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement