Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins on the Late Late

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kernel wrote: »
    You've revealed your ignorance on the subject there, so I'd respectfully suggest reading up on Haisch and other intelligent design advocates - know your enemy and all that.

Looking at the theories of quantum mechanics, and the structure of the universe in general, it is more logical to assume that there is a reason/purpose to everything, than not. The only counter argument to this theory is the theory of multiverses existing and that we are fortunate enough to live in the goldilocks universe where everything is just right. That's a possibility I'm open to, but again, where's the evidence for that?

Firstly, how does GM say there is a reason or purpose for everything? Shroedingers cat can be both dead or alive, so umm how are we to know we actually exist.If we can't understand/predict the present how can reasonably expect to see the purpose in the future?.

Secondly, yeah I tend to take anyones views like Haisch's with a pince of salt, seriously, he fits belief with science that is a complete no no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Malty_T wrote: »
    Actually I have no faith in anything other that the only thing I know is that I don't know. Why do you believe in this cause?
    Haisch argues that the universe is fine tuned, this is very much disputed.
    As you said though it is too early to tell for sure, which is why I'm simply saying 'I don't know' is there any harm in that? Go on mate say it too:)

No there is no harm in that. A wise man knows how little he truly knows. :) Why I believe in the cause of intelligent design would take me a long time to explain here, suffice to say that I don't think God was playing dice, but then again who am I to tell God what to do with his dice. haha, sorry that's taken out of context Einstein/Planck exchange. It seems more plausible and logical to me to assume an intelligent design of the universe basically.

With regard to 'too early to tell', if we rely on science, then we may never know, since it cannot go back to before the big bang. Food for thought however, I'd recommend reading some of the better intelligent design scientists.

No, I'm quite free to post my opinions wherever i want.

And I've just took a gawk at the Christianity forum and i see a lot of people from here posting their opinions on there.

I have nothing against atheists, 99.9% of my friends are atheists, I'm just challenging some of the views expressed here.

Hi mmmmCheesse :)

Just letting you know that the reason I post on the Christianity forum is to get a better understanding of Christian beliefs. This means that when I meet iditioc atheists (and they are a few) I can play devils advocate and make them better understand their position. I'm also here to debunk false sciences such as creationism and the like. The reason being is that I don't want some innocent moderate going on here and thinking oh wow that is amazing that is so cool and what they are being told is science is utterly not true. You need to realise that not all religious people are good, (same goes for atheists too). I just feel we have a duty to stop the spread of false facts about science.
    See Laminin for example.

Firstly, how does GM say there is a reason or purpose for everything? Shroedingers cat can be both dead or alive, so umm how are we to know we actually exist.If we can't understand/predict the present how can reasonably expect to see the purpose in the future?.

Secondly, yeah I tend to take anyones views like Haisch's with a pince of salt, seriously, he fits belief with science that is a complete no no for me.

But science and belief are often interlinked. Quantum physics itself is based on theories built on theories. Schroedingers cat is an analogy based on minute particles rather than complex organisms or objects. The analogy was basically used to show the belief that a particle could exist in two states simultaneously. Obviously the cat cannot be both dead and alive at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Rb wrote: »
    Iirc, there has been some studies done on the correlation between the religiosity of a country and the average IQ in that country and again, if I remember correctly, the higher the level of religiousness, dependency on religion etc a country had, the lower the average IQ tended to be.

You can look it up if you're so inclined.

And what does that have to do with anything i said? :confused:

You're just proving my point though, trying to say that religious people are less intelligent, therefore putting them down and making yourself appear superior.

• Advertisement

No there is no harm in that. A wise man knows how little he truly knows. :) Why I believe in the cause of intelligent design would take me a long time to explain here, suffice to say that I don't think God was playing dice, but then again who am I to tell God what to do with his dice. haha, sorry that's taken out of context Einstein/Planck exchange. It seems more plausible and logical to me to assume an intelligent design of the universe basically.

With regard to 'too early to tell', if we rely on science, then we may never know, since it cannot go back to before the big bang. Food for thought however, I'd recommend reading some of the better intelligent design DEISTIC scientists.

Right I've fixed your post for one IMPORTANT reason, ID is a form of creationism that is RUBBISH, and comparing it to novel deism (or pantheism?) is awful. Sorry, but while you're here please don't call ID science because the creationist folk will think you are agreeing with them and judging by your posts I don't think you think the world is 10,000 years old.:)

Yeah, that cool. I'd recommend JD Barrows book on Theories of Everything:)

And what does that have to do with anything i said? :confused:

You're just proving my point though, trying to say that religious people are less intelligent, therefore putting them down and making yourself appear superior.

I would be skeptical of such a study at any rate. As it doesn't seem to factor other key variables such as standard of education or literacy in third world countries. Remember that 95.2% of all statistics are bull. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Hi mmmmCheesse :)

Just letting you know that the reason I post on the Christianity forum is to get a better understanding of Christian beliefs. This means that when I meet iditioc atheists (and they are a few) I can play devils advocate and make them better understand their position. I'm also here to debunk false sciences such as creationism and the like. The reason being is that I don't want some innocent moderate going on here and thinking oh wow that is amazing that is so cool and what they are being told is science is utterly not true. You need to realise that not all religious people are good, (same goes for atheists too). I just feel we have a duty to stop the spread of false facts about science.
    See Laminin for example.

Thanks Malty T i really like you're open minded approach. :)
    I'm not overly religious and as I've the said the vast majority of my friends and my boyfriend are atheist so i definately have nothing against them and above all i want to respect everyones beliefs (or lack of beliefs!)

I also agree that not all religious people are good, theres some real nutters out there. Its just that in my circles I've seen a lot more disrespect towards believers than non believers. Guess I'm just a minority in the people I'm in contact with, and that certainly seems to be the case on here aswell!

I guess in the younger generation there are a lot more atheists than believers and it just seems like believers are being ganged up on.

Right I've fixed your post for one IMPORTANT reason, ID is a form of creationism that is RUBBISH, and comparing it to novel deism is awful. Sorry, but while you're here please don't call ID science because the creationist folk will think you are agreeing with them and judging by your posts I don't think you think the world is 10,000 years old.:)

Yeah, that cool. I'd recommend JD Barrows book on Theories of Everything:)

Where did I call intelligent design science? As for creationism, it's absurd to think that the world is 10,000 years old. It's not absurd to think that there is a possibility of an intelligent design being behind the universe though. ;) My point here is that science cannot answer the questions of why,or the philosophical questions one way or the other. It's beyond it's remit. And my main point, concordantly with that is that Dawkins is the one who is being overly smug with regard to his own belief in atheism being true and the rest of us being idiots for believing in an intelligent design. That's why I dislike the man. He's trying to instill a nihilistic, materialistic and potentially unhealthy ideology in people based on what evidence, evolution? What about the bigger picture Mr. Dawkins?

But science and belief are often interlinked.

Admittingly, Shroedingers analogy was limited.

Belief and science are mixed things really:).

Einstein believed in a static geometrically ordered univere : hence the cosmological constant. And not to mention that the universe didn't play dice.
    Causing him to refuse QM theory.

On the other side

Brand believed that he could get gold from urine this ended up in the discovery of phosphor.

• Advertisement

I would be skeptical of such a study at any rate. As it doesn't seem to factor other key variables such as standard of education or literacy in third world countries. Remember that 95.2% of all statistics are bull. :)

And 87.12456722346728246789901351652478% are made up on the spot:)

Where did I call intelligent design science? As for creationism, it's absurd to think that the world is 10,000 years old. It's not absurd to think that there is a possibility of an intelligent design being behind the universe though. ;) My point here is that science cannot answer the questions of why,or the philosophical questions one way or the other. It's beyond it's remit. And my main point, concordantly with that is that Dawkins is the one who is being overly smug with regard to his own belief in atheism being true and the rest of us being idiots for believing in an intelligent design. That's why I dislike the man. He's trying to instill a nihilistic, materialistic and potentially unhealthy ideology in people based on what evidence, evolution? What about the bigger picture Mr. Dawkins?

Actually Dawkins has stated on more than one occasion, that the case can be made for deism, just not a personal God like those in the ancient texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clem Viking

I don't agree. I thought Dawkins did make a good effort to answer the questions directly as put to him. It was the priest in the audience who tried to rail-road over any points that he had made with an elaborate but flawed argument trying to equate holes in scientific knowledge and god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You gotta feel sorry for Dawkins. Walking into interview after interview of people asking him the exact same question and reiterating the same answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

BELIEF?? What belief? Its clear cut evidence for evolution by natural selection that has led Dawkins to come to the conclusion(and rightly so) that all modern religions simply cannot be true! Now you and many others in recent posts are forgetting that RD in his latest books is not dealing with abiogenesis and the clear-cut science behind it nor the philosophical 'why' debate behind that. He is dealing with the evolution of life from then on and THAT by association debunks everything that any religion has to say in any of their scriptures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Rb wrote: »
    Iirc, there has been some studies done on the correlation between the religiosity of a country and the average IQ in that country and again, if I remember correctly, the higher the level of religiousness, dependency on religion etc a country had, the lower the average IQ tended to be.

You can look it up if you're so inclined.

What? I'm no believer, but I think that any such study, if it does exist, should not be given any credence or weight. The idea that religion actually makes you more stupid is pushing it a bit, i think. Or the idea that more stupid societies believe more. IQ measurements are notoriously culturally dependent, and there have been very dodgy uses of supposed measurements of IQ in the past to justify racist ideologies. I would keep a million miles away from such an argument against religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

The thing is Richard Dawkins is wrong, atheists are wrong. There is a GOD.Its quite ironic that atheists base their stance on Darwins theory of evoultion when in fact Darwin himself was NOT an atheist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There is a GOD

Pics needed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The thing is Richard Dawkins is wrong, atheists are wrong. There is a GOD.Its quite ironic that atheists base their stance on Darwins theory of evoultion when in fact Darwin himself was NOT an atheist

1) Richard Dawkins is wrong about what? Evolution? the existence of the Christian god? Deism? Fairies?
    2) Can you provide us with any kind of evidence to support your statement?
    3) Darwin could have been a card carrying member of Opus Dei for all I care. the fact is work on evolution is supported by evidence.

I'd also suggest you spell "evolution" correctly when posting on the AandA forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The thing is Richard Dawkins is wrong, atheists are wrong.
    Prove it.
    There is a GOD.
    Prove it.
    Its quite ironic that atheists base their stance on Darwins theory of evoultion when in fact Darwin himself was NOT an atheist

I don't base my stance on anybodys theories or books, I simply don't have any belief for a magical entity. I'd rather live my life doing what I want, my way. That's why I pity religious believers of any creed. Its the weakness of the mind that causes people to NEED something there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't, evolution is just a bonus to give an alternative explanation for the origin of the species. There were atheists long before Darwin. I base my stance on the fact that the major world religions are quite clearly an invention of man. It's a testament to the human mind's power of self deception that so many people are able to deny this plain fact.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Prove it.

Prove it.

I don't base my stance on anybodys theories or books, I simply don't have any belief for a magical entity. I'd rather live my life doing what I want, my way. That's why I pity religious believers of any creed. Its the weakness of the mind that causes people to NEED something there.

Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone. I don't need proof.I go by what I feel and know in my heart.Would you ask your Father/Mother/Girlfriend/Boyfriend to prove they loved you, if you had faith they did and knew in your heart they did.

Religion/Spirituality is not science , it can not be measured. You either have faith or you do not.

You ask me to prove it, well I ask you and all the other Atheists who so arrogantly make statements of GODS non existence from time to time.Why don't ye prove he doesn't exist. After all ye are coming from the scientific side of things, which demands proof.So I don't understand how ye can jump to such conclusions of GODS non-existence without it.

Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone. I don't need proof.I go by what I feel and know in my heart.Would you ask your Father/Mother/Girlfriend/Boyfriend to prove they loved you, if you had faith they did and knew in your heart they did.

Religion/Spirituality is not science , it can not be measured. You either have faith or you do not.

You ask me to prove it, well I ask you and all the other Atheists who so arrogantly make statements of GODS non existence from time to time.Why don't ye prove he doesn't exist. After all ye are coming from the scientific side of things, which demands proof.So I don't understand how ye can jump to such conclusions of GODS non-existence without it.

Because everything you attribute to being created by God has reasoning and explanations in science already. It easy to condense a mind boggling theory into the simple explanation that it just "appeared". You're free to believe what you want. Its when you add logic and reasoning to that mix that you finally make your own mind up.

Don't get me wrong I'm not some religious freak, it just really annoys me when atheists see themselves as superior or more intelligent. Thats the impression i get from a lot of atheists i know.

Tbh this attitude is what annoys me. It's same thing that keeps happening in all the Lisbon treaty debates, the yes side keep getting accused of arrogance. From where I'm sitting it's not arrogance, it's just that the yes she are able to form a coherent argument based on reality and much of the no side aren't but they can't admit this to themselves so they just brand the people who demolish them in debate as arrogant and ignore them.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of people in the world, on a variety of topics, need to ask themselves if their opponents are arrogant or just correct

Where did I call intelligent design science? As for creationism, it's absurd to think that the world is 10,000 years old. It's not absurd to think that there is a possibility of an intelligent design being behind the universe though. ;)
    It's about 90% as absurd and that's the whole point of Dawkins book
    My point here is that science cannot answer the questions of why,or the philosophical questions one way or the other. It's beyond it's remit.
    To ask the question why is to assume there is intelligence behind it. Who says there is a why? I know the how behind lightning but do I need to ask why is lightning before I fully understand its purpose?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Because everything you attribute to being created by God has reasoning and explanations in science already. It easy to condense a mind boggling theory into the simple explanation that it just "appeared". You're free to believe what you want. Its when you add logic and reasoning to that mix that you finally make your own mind up.

I don't think you can come to any scientific conclusion regarding GOD , there is so much more to be discovered then has already been discovered in the scientific world and there are things so complex that we may never understand and because we have only scratched the surface regarding science,I don't think its scientifically sound to come to conclusions on this matter.

What you call faith is an evolved instinct that at some point in the past was beneficial for survival and so spread across the population. When someone says they "know in their heart", what they mean is the chemicals in their brain are compelling them to believe something. Love is also an evolved instinct and I'm sure we've all seen many instances where someone manages to convince themselves that somebody loves them when it's quite clear to all around them that they're wrong. And the reason they're able to ignore the overwhelming evidence that they're wrong is because they're not listening to reason, they're listening to the chemicals in their brain.

You can't prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist but it's a ridiculous concept which can be dismissed with an extremely high degree of confidence

I don't think you can come to any scientific conclusion regarding GOD , there is so much more to be discovered then has already been discovered in the scientific world and there are things so complex that we may never understand and because we have only scratched the surface regarding science,I don't think its scientifically sound to come to conclusions on this matter.

Considering there are such things as atoms and neutrons, and things you can't even see without a microscope, I'm sure anything can be explained if its looked at hard enough. For religious believers though, its easier to attribute it to a magical entity than trying to get your head around the science of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I actually logged on to start a post about this and I saw on the home page one had just started.

I have always considered Ryan a retard and tonight has confirmed it. I was about to go to bed when I heard him introduce Dawkins so of course I watched it in anticipation of a good theological or scientfic debate with some interesting and hopefully eye opening discussions. Instead Ryan proved to be an embarrassment to the country yet again.

Firstly, he did nothing but talk about the topic of The God Delusion and not his new book.

Secondly, he had done zero research, had clearly never read a word written by the man and as far as I could tell, all he knew was that 'some english bloke who didn't believe in God' was coming on the show.

His questions were inept and lacking any substance. His posture was defensive and dismissive. He had a constant smirk on his face and not once did he attempt to actually dig deep into any of the questions instead asking retarded questions like 'have you thought about your funeral' and asking him to speculate what humans will look like millions of years from now. His linguistic repertoire was laughable forcing phrases into the chaps mouth like 'easter bunny' later using the term to mock the mans arguement.

Then to top it off, he decided to ask for a show of hands of those who believe in God as if his pathetic audience of 100 people were some sort of credible source on theological matters....oh look 95% of Irish retards say they believe in God ergo God exists.

All in all it was a disgrace of an interview that has forever cemented Ryan as one of the most hateable people on the planet in my mind.

I'd be tempted to write a letter or ring RTE however I've a sneaking suspicion it would fall on deaf ears....

RYAN YOU ARE A ****

Do you think if I called you a retard for not believing in God would that be fair?

And by the way I don't know what to believe, before you call me a retard.

Grow up

Also, How do we know that God didn't create Science just like everything else he created?!

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    What you call faith is an evolved instinct that at some point in the past was beneficial for survival and so spread across the population. When someone says they "know in their heart", what they mean is the chemicals in their brain are compelling them to believe something. Love is also an evolved instinct and I'm sure we've all seen many instances where someone manages to convince themselves that somebody loves them when it's quite clear to all around them that they're wrong. And the reason they're able to ignore the overwhelming evidence that they're wrong is because they're not listening to reason, they're listening to the chemicals in their brain.

Just because somethings has a mechanism by which it works, does not disprove GOD.Science does not disprove GOD. Im perfectly easy in my belief in science and that there is a scientific explanation for everything in the physical world but I also believe that having a belief in GOD can co-exist with the marvels of science

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement