Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very nasty "Trick"

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

A friend of mine held a dinner party recently. Thankfully I couldn't attend. Anyway another friend of mine (who is vegan) did attend and had a very cruel trick played on her. The host thought it would be hilarious to "slip" meat product into what he said was a vegan friendly dish...

Apparently most of the other guests knew what was happening and stayed quiet until after the meal was eaten. Everybody had a great laugh at my vegans friends expense, who not surprisingly stormed out.

I am extremely angry with the people involved. People who I thought were good friends but now Im not so sure.

Has anyone else had this experience???

Surley this is highly unusual???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

:( not fair at all! a few of us have had the experience where you are offered meat in jest, or where you are accidentally given meat hidden in your food somewhere, but this is one hell of a cruel joke. Never heard of anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The only thing any friends of mine have ever done is to offer me a taste of something they are eating cus they simply forgot, nothing cruel or mean meant by it. I wouldn't call those people who did that friends, it's not funny no matter how they might see it and no one who is really someones friend would be so disrespectful to their beliefs. Had your friend been kosher would they have hidden pork in the meal and thought it funny? I don't agree with all my friends different beliefs but I wouldn't mock them or play 'jokes' on them for having them and anyone who did would very quickly not be a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Everytime I go home to my parents house and sit down for dinner (after ive prepared my own) the conversation goes something like this...

Dad: (Face wrinkles up in a disapproving/confused way) Ah Grainne...whats that???
    Me: Lentils dad.
    Dad: Hhhmmmmmmfffffffff lentils.......LENTILSSS.....will ya have a bit o meat
    Me: No thanks Dad.
    Dad: Go on will ya...here here...just a slice...
    (A battle of forks begins between him an me as slices of meat are thrown between eachothers plates)
    Me: No Dad I'm fine...IM FINE!!! WILL YA STOP!
    Dad: GO ON!!!
    ME: NO!!! HERE YOU HAVE SOME LENTILS!!!
    Dad: Arrrra stopit. Hmmmmmmmmffffff. Vegetables, its all ya ever seem to eat I dunno. Sure that cant be good for ya.

Aaaaaaand Scene.

7 years of it...Not the same as your friends evil trick but still...its nice to be supported in your beliefs as a vege. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Apparently most of the other guests knew what was happening and stayed quiet until after the meal was eaten. Everybody had a great laugh at my vegans friends expense, who not surprisingly stormed out.
    Those "friends" should be shot in the face with balls of their own ****e. I would go medieval on their ignorant asses and have nothing to do with them ever again. Maybe that's just me.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Those "friends" should be shot in the face with balls of their own ****e. I would go medieval on their ignorant asses and have nothing to do with them ever again. Maybe that's just me.

Tied down and spoonfed dog****e until they didnt see the funny side anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd go ballistic to be honest. Real friends respect your beliefs. Nothing even remotely funny about that. Pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'd go ballistic to be honest. Real friends respect your beliefs. Nothing even remotely funny about that. Pricks.

+1

I'd be throwing chairs around tbh

and then planning revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I don't mind the odd bit of p1ss taking but that was way out of line. My worst experience was someone shoving meat in my face but this is far worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Seriously, with friends like that....? I'd reconsider who my friends are, especially since everyone else knew and kept quiet until after the meal?! Thats not on.

Never had it played on me thank god, but I do remember an episode of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares where they had people in to sample these pizzas for some restaurant or other, one of the guys was a vegetarian and the pizza was supposedly for veggies, but in fact the base had been lined with parma ham - anyway the polish kitchen assistant who made it neglected to mention it and instead giggled all the time when he was eating it... then they all had a good laugh at him. The dude was a bit odd anyway, but still!

nooooo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

feeding meet to a vegetarian/vegan by mistake is ~ok~ ... but tricking them into it is really terrible... (what sort of meet product was it?)

Fingers down throat, return meal to table. See who's laughing then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Friends are people who respect your beliefs even if they are different than their own.

Friends do not ridicule and make fun of you in front of others.

Friends do not gang up and bully you.

These people are not your friends

. . . But I'm guessing you want a solution as to what to say to these people, in a calm and mature way - I'm guessing that being hysterical will only add "fuel to their immature fire" - ideally you need something that will make them feel, shameful, small and embarrassed.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Never had it played on me thank god, but I do remember an episode of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares where they had people in to sample these pizzas for some restaurant or other...
    I remember an interview where Ramsey said he had put meat in a veggie meal "for a laugh". He denied it afterwards saying he was only joking but it strikes me as exactly the kind of thing man would do and I belive his denial was a lie. What sort of person thinks that's funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

I’m imagining when some of these dinner party guests / organisers relay their "hilarious" story to other people this week – the reactions they will receive will probably not be positive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Doolee wrote: »
    Everytime I go home to my parents house and sit down for dinner (after ive prepared my own) the conversation goes something like this...

Dad: (Face wrinkles up in a disapproving/confused way) Ah Grainne...whats that???
    Me: Lentils dad.
    Dad: Hhhmmmmmmfffffffff lentils.......LENTILSSS.....will ya have a bit o meat
    Me: No thanks Dad.
    Dad: Go on will ya...here here...just a slice...
    (A battle of forks begins between him an me as slices of meat are thrown between eachothers plates)
    Me: No Dad I'm fine...IM FINE!!! WILL YA STOP!
    Dad: GO ON!!!
    ME: NO!!! HERE YOU HAVE SOME LENTILS!!!
    Dad: Arrrra stopit. Hmmmmmmmmffffff. Vegetables, its all ya ever seem to eat I dunno. Sure that cant be good for ya.

Aaaaaaand Scene.

7 years of it...Not the same as your friends evil trick but still...its nice to be supported in your beliefs as a vege. :)

HA HA HA I laughed till it hurt. very funny stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You need to reevaluate the type of person you are friends with, I cant think of anybody I know who would think of doing this. A lot of poeple have bad friends, they just put up with it. You choose your friends, so I'd suggest giving that a try unless they are quite apologetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

Thats terrible!!!!

When i was still living at home a good few years ago, one of my friend's a vegetarian called around while my mam was making dinner. She had a couple pizzas in the oven, we all ate and later on my mam told me she picked all the ham and pepperoni of my mate's slices of pizza.
    I was mortified and gave out to my mother, she just said "well your friend could do with a bit of meat anyhow"
    I could never tell my friend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lycopodium123

OMG, that is absolutely disgusting behaviour!!! great friends they are.......hillarious..........when you're 15 (or 5!)

never mind the veggie thing, they obviously have absolutely NO respect for her if they were all in on it and no-one said anything.
    I'd be furious.
    That's not on at all.

And you know, its so easy for people reading this to go "ah, fekkin veggie, tree-higgin mad yokes off on one again...." and just dismissing it, but fcuk that, i dont hug trees, i lead quite a "normal", active social life, I have no problems interacting with people, i dont wear "hemp" clothing, I CHOOSE to be a veggie for reasons of my own and dont shove that down people's throats, or try to "trick" them into "my way" for some kind of ego boost. How could people think its funny to make someone eat meat when they have made a conscious choice not to? Thats like putting alcohol into a reforming alocholoc's glass of coke and waiting for the "laugh"

disgusting
    assh0les

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nunubird

What a bunch of a$$holes :mad:
    It's not the eating of the meat that would annoy me but their ignorant lets-make-fun-of-his-beliefs attitude that does. I would never mock somebody else's beliefs, no matter what I thought of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That's absolutely manky :mad: I think everyone's had an experience when a friend or family member accidentally offers them a bite of a ham sammich or just genuinely doesn't realise what vegetarian means (my granny still doesn't understand why "vegetable soup" with lumps of kidney in it isn't vegetarian), but to purposely disrespect somebody like that is scummy. I would be so upset if that happened to me, not so much because I'd eaten meat, but because my friends would have revealed themselves as d1ckheads, complete bloody d1ckheads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

For one of them to do it would be bad enough, but for a group of "friends" to actually be in on it, and not one of them try to stop it from happening!!!?!
    Sod them, they sound like a bunch of disrespectful wankbags!

Invite them around for a nice dog poo curry, so how they like them apples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

These "friends" need to have it pointed out to them that they could actually have made someone ill. I'm an omnivore myself but I've met long-term vegetarians/vegans who say that accidentally consuming meat can have nasty results for them with symptoms like food mild poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Tbh I could imagine my friends doing exactly this to me, but it is only because for alot of people things like vegetarianism and veganism don't make any sense.

But if you want them to know about how important your dietary choices are, you have to, at least partially, fulfill these stereotypes you don't want them to associate with you. At least these are my views on that. I can see it's mostly irrelevant though.

Then again, I guess other people should make some effort to understand how you think and to accommodate it. The bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd be livid. I'd have thoughts of immediately putting the 2 fingers down the throat without a care as to where the targets are (now former friends, TV, other electronics and valuables would be good). Perhaps a few infidelities, real and made-up, might be revealed - why not, it's not like I'm caring about these persons anymore. Followed by quick exit with trail of destruction and permanent removal of names from phonebook/life. While I'm not quite as strict as I used to be - I don't get too worried about one or two things like parmesan - and generally laid back, after decades of self-discipline, I do have a definite line in the sand and this 'joke' would be light years over it and an unforgivable breach of trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Now I'm not a veggie, I love meat and don't think I could ever give it up.
    But -, I totally understand the point to being veggie, and the so called "trick" mentioned in the first post is horribly disrespectful.

For someone to be a veggie they must have strong beliefs about it. Its not some phase or temporary little fad. Its a serious thing, So for someone to just p*ss all over your beliefs like that by tricking you into doing something you dont want to do is just plain wrong.

I hope they're no longer your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

raah! wrote: »
    Tbh I could imagine my friends doing exactly this to me, but it is only because for alot of people things like vegetarianism and veganism don't make any sense.

Someones beliefs shouldn't have to make sense to their friends for them to respect them....it's not the being vegetarian part of this story that makes me annoyed at what those people did but the fact they were meant to be that persons friends and showed zero respect for them. I've seen it happen alot in this country when it comes to drink...someone says they don't drink for whatever reason and people give them some amount of abuse or spike their drinks and think it's really funny. If someone doesn't want to drink they shouldn't have to defend themselves to their friends or random idoits in the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I had a similar experience both me and my OH are veggie. We sent the lads in work to get us rolls for lunch.

When we bit into them a big lump of corn beef....****ing disgusting, I was nearly sick. NOT FUNNY AT ALL

I relish in the fact that I will live longer then the savage bastads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Would you believe that a similiar thing happened in a coffee shop of all places! (Fairly new, in Navan, dressing itself up as a deli/home style, same street as BOI ;))

Moranic fool of a woman didnt understand that veggies dont eat chicken! What p1ssed me off was her attitude. ("what do you want me to do about it now?") :mad::mad::mad:

Hellm0 and phutyle have been warned. axel rose, there was no need to add fuel to the fire; warned also.
    Behave!

Back on topic or thread gets locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Wow, that's mean :(

One very drunken/jelly legs night someone convinced me that some hot dog stand was vegetarian....and I was starving... and I ate it :( Was so sick and sickened.

Advertisement