Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€150 Digital Camera

• 18-09-2009 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello,

Looking for a wee bit of help here. Im looking for a good digital camera thats within my budget of €150>€170. I'll be buying online as this country tends to be a rip off in my opinion. :o)

Any recomendations would be much appreciated?

Míle Buíochas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What ya going to be using it for? nights out and stuff or...?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Is Gael Mise

Yes sorry for lack of detail. Just day to day use nothing professional.

hmm, k em so we should be going for a little point and shoot!

Does size weight color matter?

If you go on here: http://www.dpreview.com/

I reckon you will find a camera you want! Just go into the camera database and in the drop down menu pick a brand and just look through and find something you like the look off and post it back up here!

Id say though honestly any point & shoot camera will do you fine...

Canon Powershot
    Nikon Coolpix
    Kodak Easy Share

Well something i could fit in my handbag,Colour not fussy at all to be honest. Sound for helpng me! Im going to Vegas in 3 weeks and broke my Lovely Sony last weekend after 2years! I need something that captures the moment my Sony took like 15seconds to snap the picture so id like something fast as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭feb09

Well something i could fit in my handbag,Colour not fussy at all to be honest. Sound for helpng me! Im going to Vegas in 3 weeks and broke my Lovely Sony last weekend after 2years! I need something that captures the moment my Sony took like 15seconds to snap the picture so id like something fast as you said.

wait and buy it over there and you will get a much better deal

Ok i looked on the website and i think all the camera's are great appearance wise. Which one would be the best in your opinion as i think you'd know better than me. I think the Canon one looks the nicest and have heard good things about there durability?! Would i be right? I'd like something durable! That'll take a few bangs.

I really wouldn't know unless I went looking through the specs on them.. thats why I said post some ones you think look nice and ill have a look then. Just did my 1st week off college and ive had enough stuff to read for one week :rolleyes:

but yeah post some links and ill have a quick look!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

are you gonna be buying this in waterford or on the net?
    waterford is limited enough obviously

Panasonic's lumix range is probably my favorite compact digital range at the moment

• Advertisement

I'll be buying on the internet ya, Thats kinda why i want to buy tonight or over the weekend, So it'll be here on time. I haven't seen the Panasonic's lumix range yet but i will look. Are they reasonably priced?

The 2nd one is 330 dollars , so maybe 400 euro.
    Have you changed your budget ? :confused:
    Why not wait until you get to vegas and buy it there ?
    Cameras are much cheaper over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Go into Sam Macauley's in Waterford and look at their camera stock and prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

feb09 wrote: »

330 dollars is not 400 euro surely

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

aye something like this maybe
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2728153/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fs7-black.html

you might be able to find it cheaper too - canon, panasonic, fujifilm all good really - for 150 there's plenty of choice there's even stuff down much lower that would easily do a job

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2618004/art/fuji/finepix-a100-black.html

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    330 dollars is not 400 euro surely

I know that. :rolleyes:
    I wasn't trying to give an accurate currency exchange rate.
    I was just saying that it would be way over her budget and cost more in Ireland than in America, and it would not surprise me if a camera shop here in Ireland was charging 400 euro. It would certainly cost over 300 in a shop here.
    So the currency rate is not what it is about ok ?

Isn't the euro against the dollar cheaper? Because for €200 i get $300?

Buying on the internet is just as cheap as buying over there i think so id rather have it before i go.

mayordenis wrote: »
    aye something like this maybe
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2728153/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fs7-black.html

you might be able to find it cheaper too - canon, panasonic, fujifilm all good really - for 150 there's plenty of choice there's even stuff down much lower that would easily do a job

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2618004/art/fuji/finepix-a100-black.html

Wow! Thats a brilliant website.

Thanks so much. reading reviews online Canon seems to be quite durable. I'll have a look on the site and see. Thanks again! :D

Isn't the euro against the dollar cheaper? Because for €200 i get $300?

Buying on the internet is just as cheap as buying over there i think so id rather have it before i go.

I have just explained the currency part - Irish shops are a rip off.
    You would save money by buying it over there, and since you seem more interested in what it looks like rather than the spec then I think it is a better way for you

Id go with the:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd980is.asp

Its lense is wider than the 2nd link you posted which will be handier for you.

• Advertisement

You would save money by buying it over there, and since you seem more interested in what it looks like rather than the spec then I think it is a better way for you

Like i said in one of my first posts in this thread i dont care what it looks like, as long as i could fit it in my handbag. I also said id like it to be durable so no im not just interested in what it looks like. I also mention ill be buying online as Irish shops are a rip off. So ehhh thanks anyway.

dazftw wrote: »
    Id go with the:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd980is.asp

Its lense is wider than the 2nd link you posted which will be handier for you.

Great, i think ill go for that then if i find it within my price range. Ive found a few other ones that seem like they would do the job so ill do some searching. Thanks very much for hepling me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Irish shops don't have the necessary size to compete with the B&H/Ritz camera stores of the world. If Gunns sold a few million lenses a year I'm sure their prices would be able to match any US store too. Unfortunately the Irish market is too small, take a look at the mobile phone industry etc. Of course that doesn't stop me from buying my lenses elsewhere (I just don't blame them for the high prices, it's one of the disadvantages of living in a country with only 4 million people).
    Like i said in one of my first posts in this thread i dont care what it looks like, as long as i could fit it in my handbag. I also said id like it to be durable so no im not just interested in what it looks like. I also mention ill be buying online as Irish shops are a rip off. So ehhh thanks anyway.

If you buy online from a non-EU state you will be liable to VAT and customs charges (VAT being 21.5% last time I checked - so that 100 euro camera may become 121.5 when it reaches your door). I don't think cameras are liable for duties though (or was that lenses...it was one or the other). So be aware that there are hidden costs involved with buying online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you're flying out of Dublin the electronic shop in the airport has an offer on at the moment for a Pentax Optio M60. €129 including a 2GB SD card. I bought one last week, and am impressed so far. It's nice and small, fits handily into my handbag, turns on and snaps in... {starts timer} 6 seconds. That was literally just pointing and shooting at something in this room - framing a picture might take you a little longer. It's 10MP, with a 5x optical zoom, and further digital zoom up to about 25x. It comes with a rechargeable battery (and battery docking station), various USB cables, CD, manual, a cable to connect it straight to the television for playback, and various other bits. It doesn't include a carry case, but I bought one for €8 in the airport as well

As something I bought on a whim I've been quite impressed, and was actually planning on writing a little review for here later, along with some photos - I'll post one to this thread in a while if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thoie wrote: »
    If you're flying out of Dublin the electronic shop in the airport has an offer on at the moment for a Pentax Optio M60. etc..., etc.....

Having previously bought the Pentax Optio M50 (sounded like our great car park ;)) for my wife as a simple carry around camera, I have since bought the Optio M60 for another family member. Both of them love their cameras. The picture quality from them is great - not dSLR like - but nothing that anyone could complain about. For me, it has not enough manual settings (for me to make a mess of :D), but for its intended purpose it is great and there are enough scene modes to capture most eventualities. Lack of an optical viewfinder I didn't like but my wife now really likes the big clear screen that the images appear on.

I don't think at this stage any of the well known brands have produced any howlers so you can probably buy with confidence given your outline of your intended purpose.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ... I have since bought the Optio M60 for another family member.... For me, it has not enough manual settings ... Lack of an optical viewfinder I didn't like ...

The viewfinder caught me out a lot for the first few days as I kept trying to stick it to my face :) There is a P mode, which from a quick look might allow some extra control, but I haven't got around to reading the manual yet.:o I bought it going on holidays to a place I'd been before, so was looking for something to stick in my handbag/pocket for nights out and snapshots rather than majorly thoughtfully composed and controlled photos.

Best fun tip: there's a special "food" setting. My friends and I keep trying to take photos of each other on the food setting, to see which of looks good enough to eat. That's probably funnier after a few drinks. There's also an amusing "pet" setting, and you can imagine the hilarity from that after a few more drinks.

Pic straight from the camera, no editing:
    3934019132_07c5000b1d.jpg

Thoie wrote: »
    If you're flying out of Dublin the electronic shop in the airport has an offer on at the moment for a Pentax Optio M60. €129 including a 2GB SD card. I bought one last week, and am impressed so far. It's nice and small, fits handily into my handbag, turns on and snaps in... {starts timer} 6 seconds. That was literally just pointing and shooting at something in this room - framing a picture might take you a little longer. It's 10MP, with a 5x optical zoom, and further digital zoom up to about 25x. It comes with a rechargeable battery (and battery docking station), various USB cables, CD, manual, a cable to connect it straight to the television for playback, and various other bits. It doesn't include a carry case, but I bought one for €8 in the airport as well

As something I bought on a whim I've been quite impressed, and was actually planning on writing a little review for here later, along with some photos - I'll post one to this thread in a while if you're interested.

Thanks so much for telling me this, i am going from Dublin so im going to take your word for it and get this one. I just hope they still have that brilliant offer on when im going in 3weeks. Photo quality looks really good aswell. I'll look forward to playing with all the setting ! I'll have something new for my journey to mess around with. Thanks again for your help. :pac:

Thanks so much for telling me this, i am going from Dublin so im going to take your word for it and get this one. I just hope they still have that brilliant offer on when im going in 3weeks. Photo quality looks really good aswell. I'll look forward to playing with all the setting ! I'll have something new for my journey to mess around with. Thanks again for your help. :pac:

Hope it goes well for you, and glad to have been of help. I was also looking at a Canon (can't remember which one) in there, and a few Fuji's as well - they have a variety under the €150 mark, none of which looked dreadful. Most don't come with a memory card, so factor that in, but the airport does reasonably priced cards.

If you've got a long flight, maybe you'll get around to reading the manual - I still haven't!

Advertisement