Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philippines

• 19-09-2009 1:17am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guy's,

I'll be in the Philippines for 3 weeks soon. I'm interested in taking the open water padi course while I'm there.

Could anyone with experince of the area give me a recomendation on where would be best to do this.

I know the diving in palawan is supposed to be very good but I'm unsure if its suitable for learning to dive there.

I was more thinking of one of these

1. Boracay
    2. Puerto Galera
    3. Cebu Island

I'll be travelling alone so I'd like somewhere that be easy enough to hook up with other independent travellers,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

I wouldn't be too worried about where diving is very good before you even have the OW done.

Been a few years since I dived Puerto Galera, but as I remember it the place is well suited to beginners and intermediates.
    The hard coral was the best I have ever seen before or since.

Google PADI Puerto Galera, and also VDST Puerto Galera. The latter is a German agency and they're quite good.

Asia divers had a centre there that I used.

Taxis were cheap enough from Manila to Batangas (about two hours drive), where you could hop a Banco (outrigger boat) to cross the channel to PG.

You should have no trouble in completing your OW and AOW while there, then treating yourself to a relaxing few dives watching the wildlife - which is plentiful.

The above is all from memory, and I would go back.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I dived on Cebu Island - Moalboal, Bohol - Panglao island (Alona Beach) and Puerto Galera. Boracay is quite touristy from what I hear so if you want somewhere more lively/touristy head there.

I thought the diving in Puerto Galera was the best but it is a bit sleezy as its where all the 'Sex tourists' go with their lady friends. But I never felt unsafe. The Filipinos were very friendly. I dived with Big Apple there. They were fine.

As Seadeuce has said you can get a taxi from Manila to Batangas. But if you are watching your money you can also get a tourist bus. You get it outside one of the hotels. Not sure which. (if you have a Lonely Planet it should say). Just make sure if you are getting a taxi you have lots of change as taxi drivers will say they have no change so you have to pay more than what the meter says. :rolleyes:

I was travelling on my own but had no trouble anywhere. The Philippines wouldn't have a high amount of independent travellers compared to other Asian countries. It was mainly honeymooners and old couples. But being on your own you will attract other solo travellers.

Also, try get one of the local buses somewhere - its an experience! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cheers thanks for that....I'm thinking of trying to do the Open water in Puerto Galera (Sabang) and then heading to Palawan for a week or so and hopefull get a dive or 2 in there.

I'll probably end up going to Boracay or Bohol/Cebu also north Luzon seems to be in bad shape after all the storms.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

adrian522 wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for that....I'm thinking of trying to do the Open water in Puerto Galera (Sabang) and then heading to Palawan for a week or so and hopefull get a dive or 2 in there.

I'll probably end up going to Boracay or Bohol/Cebu also north Luzon seems to be in bad shape after all the storms.

Thanks for the advice.

I can highly recommend Asia Divers in Sabang/Puerto Galera.
    Dive centre/shop are right beside their private jetty from where their boats leave. You don't even have to carry your gear, as they've got guys employed to carry it to the boat for you. Showers etc right there beside the jetty too, not to mention the excellent Point Bar upstairs (just don't ring the bell above the bar to attract attention; the tradition there is that whoever rings the bell must shoot the bar ie buy a shot for everyone present) Just 20m away is the excellent Galeon Hotel, which is under the same management. They'll arrange a boat to pick you up from Batangas (on the same island as Manila).

Overall, an excellent operation who looked after our group of 20 very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Palawan is very remote, you do know that? As in there's electricity only at certain times etc.

But meant to be very good wreck dives. I just thought it was too much for me travelling on my own. :o

Enjoy, it's a great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

a friend of mine is a resort manager here, shes sound and very helpfull,if its any help.i done my divemaster with her company in oz

http://www.atlantishotel.com/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Larianne wrote: »
    Palawan is very remote, you do know that? As in there's electricity only at certain times etc.

But meant to be very good wreck dives. I just thought it was too much for me travelling on my own. :o

Enjoy, it's a great place.

Yeah, I knew it was out of the way, but from the photos I've seen it looks beautiful and it seems that anyone who has been there has nothing but good things to say about it.

Having said that I'd like to have the open water done before getting there.

mint man wrote: »
    a friend of mine is a resort manager here, shes sound and very helpfull,if its any help.i done my divemaster with her company in oz

http://www.atlantishotel.com/

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I did my open water on Boracay and the dive sites were amazing! There are loads of dive shops on Boracay. I did mine with a place called Dive Gurus and they were great.

Hi,

Just back from this trip, I had a great time. I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I was there for just over 3 weeks. Got open Water certification done in Sabang, Peurto Galera with big Apple. It was crazy cheap.(€170). After that I went to El Nido, Palawan and did some dives there as well as hang out a bit on the beaches etc.

I then went up to Coron and did the Advanced OW cert and did a lot of wreck dives there. Also a dive in " Barracuda Lake" which was cool, water temp 37.

After that went to Bohol and I thought that was the best diving in Philippines, really beautiful.

Then went to Boracay to relax for a few days, did one dive there and lo and behold saw a huge Whale Shark.

Finished off back in Sabang doing about 3 or 4 dives which were really good but some very strong currents on some of the dive sites.

All in all logged 23 dives on the trip including the 2 certifications. Think PH is a great holiday destination especially for divers, would certainly go back.

I would like to keep up the diving here, if you can recomend me a club or something in the Dublin area that would be great,

Thanks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Holy God!!

Here you are, three weeks of diving done - 20 dives - and you see a whale shark!!!!!!!!!!

It took me nearly 24 years of diving to do that!!!

Bloody Poxxy Diver!

Here, check out:

http://www.cft.ie

for clubs in the Dublin region.

With your luck you'll probably find a humpback out by the Muglins!!

Stay Wet

Seadeuce

Actually the Shark was spotted by the boat captain on the way back after the dive. He must have been lost or something.

Was a little hesitant to jump in the water until I knew for sure it was a whale shark and not something more dangerous.

He was huge though, about 8 or 9 metres long.

Also saw an Octopus on a night Dive and a few Turtles, all very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Since you're a PADI diver, I recommend Adventure Diving in Bettystown, particularly if you're in North Dublin. (I have no connection with them other than I've dived with them alot and have become friends.)
    For South Dublin, I hear good things about Ocean Divers, but I've never dived with them myself.

Hi,

Thanks for that, As I'm in South Dublin I'll check out Ocean Divers!!

Advertisement