Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four reasons for a No, and four more not to vote Yes - The Irish Times - 18 Sep 2009

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0918/1224254794768.html and in print edition.

Opinion & Analysis by Tony Allwright

LIKE FRANKENSTEIN’s monster, here comes the Lisbon Treaty once more, rising from the undead. Though 66 million French and Dutch voters were simply bypassed to avoid more pesky referendums, Ireland’s Constitution precludes such an elegant solution, forcing a second vote on the same treaty.

Interesting read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's also already being discussed - do please check existing threads before posting.

Leaving open for the moment.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

naitkris wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0918/1224254794768.html and in print edition.

Opinion & Analysis by Tony Allwright

Interesting read.

Yes, it was especially interesting that didn't know that it was the Nice treaty that Lisbon was amending and was digging around in Masstrict and Rome ones instead, and was wondering why he could not find article 269. I think a lawyer would have no trouble on that score at least. I couldn't read the rest of the article through my tears of laughter.

Did he make any other interesting points?

Didn't think anything could possibly ever make me miss John Walters :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

naitkris wrote: »
    Interesting read.

Not really. Nothing new in it. Just the same old 'arguments' about the legallity of the guarantees and up to 85% of laws come from Brussels.

I note he didn't point out the particular clause in the constitutions of France and Holland that required a referendum for the Constitution but not for Lisbon. Wonder why...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

funny that when the irish times puts up an article in faour of lisbon there are calls of bias.

Advertisement