Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ISP for gaming

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My current ISP is Eircom and I'm on the 3mb broadband package but I'm not happy with it at all. I mostly play COD4 and when i play its usually late from 11pm onwards. Playing COD4 lately has become a massive pain in the arse because i keep getting 2 and poor 3 bar connections and I'm nearly always in a game with an American host and with my poor connection it usually ends in epic pwnage and I'm not that bad a player, is there anyone having the same problems as myself? Is it Infinity wards poor match making system or is it that eircom is just rubbish and I should change to a better ISP if there is one.

Cheers
    Don.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I have NTL broadband and I regularly get ridiculously low pings to servers both here and abroad. I live in Dublin 2 so I have no idea how it is in other parts. I think they upgraded their brass tubing around here. I've played both l4d (a clandestine mexican food facist) and DOW2 with guys from the States with little problem, so playable pings are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'd rather eat my own face than willingly pay for eircom broadband.

I'm with digiweb and could easily recommend them. For gaming it's the upload speed you're concerned with in a package and not the download speed, I get 10mb down, 3mb up I think.

I hate the ****ty copper in our soil, 3rd world internets foar all

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'd rather eat my own face than willingly pay for eircom broadband.

I'm with digiweb and could easily recommend them. For gaming it's the upload speed you're concerned with in a package and not the download speed, I get 10mb down, 3mb up I think.

I hate the ****ty copper in our soil, 3rd world internets foar all

1000 ping to a certain l4d server? FAIL. Your interents are made of lego tubes and balsa wood.

No go buy a headset you bum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

donCORK wrote: »
    My current ISP is Eircom and I'm on the 3mb broadband package but I'm not happy with it at all. I mostly play COD4 and when i play its usually late from 11pm onwards. Playing COD4 lately has become a massive pain in the arse because i keep getting 2 and poor 3 bar connections and I'm nearly always in a game with an American host and with my poor connection it usually ends in epic pwnage and I'm not that bad a player, is there anyone having the same problems as myself? Is it Infinity wards poor match making system or is it that eircom is just rubbish and I should change to a better ISP if there is one.

Cheers
    Don.

Getting 2 or 3 bars suggests Your using wireless inside Your house, changing isp won't improve this. You should first try running a cable from Your modem to Your gaming console. Also playing on American servers will always give You poor pings. Its just not possible to play with Americans for this reason, its just too far away. Try find some Irish or Uk servers with lower pings

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I may be a problem with your wireless router. The router that i have in my house is great within 5 meters or so, but anything over that and it starts to get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 donCORK

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Getting 2 or 3 bars suggests Your using wireless inside Your house, changing isp won't improve this. You should first try running a cable from Your modem to Your gaming console. Also playing on American servers will always give You poor pings. Its just not possible to play with Americans for this reason, its just too far away. Try find some Irish or Uk servers with lower pings

I'm not using wireless, my Xbox is connected directly to my router. Unfortunately you cannot pick Irish or UK servers when gaming on a console AFAIK, when you search for a game it just randomly puts you in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I'm using NTL 20MB and my pings would be between 30 and 80 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Have you checked that your eircom wireless SSID and Name has been changed , you could have a neighbout Leeching off your net.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Have you checked that your eircom wireless SSID and Name has been changed , you could have a neighbout Leeching off your net.

Ya, i checked that and there is no one leeching, Eircom is just rubbish.

I'll check out NTL ronkmonster.

I just done one of those speed checker's and my ping was 191, the server is in Limerick i am in Cork, surely it cant be that bad? F*****G Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nande

It really depends where your server is because if you want ideal fast speed, it would be best to get some host which is in the same subnetwork as the host server is...

So it could be any i guess, but if you are looking for the overall then im not quite sure, since a research is needed for such a thing =\

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I get TF2 pings of about 30 to 50 with Smart for UK servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You could run traceroute and find out where your connection is being routed before it reaches the server and why its so high.

http://visualroute.visualware.co.uk/

Advertisement