Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who funds COIR?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭

They clearly have a fair amount of money behind them and are highly determined, yet I personally can't imagine anyone who is either half-way sane and/or ethical as having anything to do with them. Anyone know or care to speculate?

PS Yes, I know other groups get funding too but I could see how people or companies would be willing to donate to most of them even if I personally do/don't agree with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't think you'll get an answer to this.

It does seem the No campaign draws ideologically opposed groups who under normal circumstances, would question these things, but don't in an EU Referendum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Who gives finanical support to FF?
    Bankers,developers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

who cares?

THis is not a referendum on funding.

All you need to know is Coir are batsh*t crazy and if you even suggest talking about the actual treaty to them they'll freak out and run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dob74 wrote: »
    Bankers,developers?

Who knows?

Who gives Coir support?

Who knows? Though we can guess.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dob74 wrote: »
    Bankers,developers?

Quit thread spoiling please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

I have no idea who funds COIR and I don't really care. But they do seem to be well financed but still not as well financed as the yes side, imho. I'm not voting No because of COIR. Under normal circumstances they'd dislike me and I'd dislike them but for the purposes of Lisbon we just happen to both be on the same side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Coir have a full page advertisement on page 11 in the Roman Catholic publication Alive looking for donations. I guess they get funded by much of the congregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

vanla_sighs, ei.sdraob, stop fighting or I'll ban the pair of you for the duration.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

View wrote: »
    They clearly have a fair amount of money behind them and are highly determined, yet I personally can't imagine anyone who is either half-way sane and/or ethical as having anything to do with them. Anyone know or care to speculate?

PS Yes, I know other groups get funding too but I could see how people or companies would be willing to donate to most of them even if I personally do/don't agree with them.

There is a lot of funding from America who are afraid for the EU block forming. Ganley had funding from Amercian arms contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Scofflaw wrote: »
    vanla_sighs, ei.sdraob, stop fighting or I'll ban the pair of you for the duration.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

i dont have a single post on this thread, you thinking of another thread? ah nvm your right

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    i dont have a single post on this thread, you thinking of another thread? ah nvm your right

That's because I deleted them.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

That's because I deleted them.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

oh ok i see

nite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    who cares?

THis is not a referendum on funding.

True, but money unquestionably has some effect on the outcome of all elections and referenda. As such, we should have some interest in where the money is coming from.

As I said in the PS, I can see how and why people would be willing to fund the larger parties and organisations here, but I am at a bit of a loss to see COIR as falling under that umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Coughlan claims their funding is Obama-like. I'm going to be kind and say he meant the micro-transaction internet part of Obama's funding and not the half million contributed by National Amusements Inc.

Edit The Coughlan being some figure in the upper ech of Coir. He twittered about it a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

We can speculate to our heart's content.

It is unusual to say the least that movements which are to the fringe of the irish political scene have such impressive funding.

It was similar to the speculation where libertas got its money last time. It would be unusual for these types of organisations to be getting a large number of personal donations from irish residents.

The fact is this referendum will affect the EU for years to come. And there are many interested groups both inside the eu and out which would like the referendum to go one way or another. In particular both interests in the u.s. and the russian federation (which wants to recreate a sphere of influence and reverse the rose and orange revolutions in georgia and the ukraine), would want to see an EU in internal political turmoil.

gabhain7 wrote: »
    We can speculate to our heart's content.

It is unusual to say the least that movements which are to the fringe of the irish political scene have such impressive funding.

It was similar to the speculation where libertas got its money last time. It would be unusual for these types of organisations to be getting a large number of personal donations from irish residents.

The fact is this referendum will affect the EU for years to come. And there are many interested groups both inside the eu and out which would like the referendum to go one way or another. In particular both interests in the u.s. and the russian federation (which wan't to recreate a sphere of influence and reverse the rose and orange revolutions in georgia and the ukraine), would want to see an EU in internal political turmoil.

I doubt, in the case of COIR, that we need to look to political reasons for funding. There are plenty of people in the US who would fund someone like COIR (just as they used to fund the IRA) to keep Ireland pure, and help keep the godless secular EU from ramming abortions down people's throats. After all, Alive magazine is pretty tame stuff compared to, say, Chick Tracts - and the level of mendacity is easily at 1 COIR (mendacity unit).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I doubt, in the case of COIR, that we need to look to political reasons for funding. There are plenty of people in the US who would fund someone like COIR (just as they used to fund the IRA) to keep Ireland pure, and help keep the godless secular EU from ramming abortions down people's throats. After all, Alive magazine is pretty tame stuff compared to, say, Chick Tracts - and the level of mendacity is easily at 1 COIR (mendacity unit).

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Is 1 COIR equal to 0.96 Imperial Farages or 1.38 (US) Ganleys?

Typical of those pesky Eurocrats to try and force a new unit of mendacity down our throats. BACK OFF BRUSSELS!!!eleven!!

Advertisement