Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mobile numbers

• 19-09-2009 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

if give revenue a mobile number ever they will track any small ads with this number.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What do you mean "track small ads"?

The only use for your number is usually to contact you if need be! Your number is just recorded as part of your address etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Revenue have started trawling small ads to identify undeclared income. I presume the OP is concerned they may try and link telephone numbers in the ads to those they hold for contacting taxpayers.

In my view it would make absolute sense for the Revenue to use this information to help them track down (fraudulent) tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yodge

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What do you mean "track small ads"?

The only use for your number is usually to contact you if need be! Your number is just recorded as part of your address etc.

I think the post from beasty says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Wow - paranoia at it's most explicit.

Listen, most people in revenue can barely work out how to dial the number, never mind do a search like that!! :D

To be serious for a sec though, this is a practice i have heard more about recently. To get caught out like this would be unlucky imo but also the penalties would be severe as Revenue have become quite strict about a lot of their collections. Mercy seems to be in short supply in some sections.

The bill-pay phones would be easiest to track so i would imagine they would aim for those numbers. Maybe get yourself a pay as you go phone and use that but i would be careful about where my number appears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yodge

No Iam not paranoid. The revenue have some very bright people now. Gone are the days when lenght of service got promotion.

Another gem is that it is not a legal requirement to give your PRSI number for a Driving licience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

yodge wrote: »
    No Iam not paranoid. The revenue have some very bright people now. Gone are the days when lenght of service got promotion.

Another gem is that it is not a legal requirement to give your PRSI number for a Driving licience.

Ah i know you're not - see the rest of my post. Legitimate fear imo.

Advertisement