Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long do you wear your clothes?

• 19-09-2009 7:54am

My mam was giving out to me for having so many clothes and it got me thinking about this question. I do have a lot of clothes, but I keep stuff for a very long time. Most of my jeans are at least 2 years old, except for a pair I got for 7 quid in a sale last year, and some of them are 6 years old, from first year of college! Most of my jumpers are a few years old, my 2 good winter coats were bought in autumn 07 and my newest pairs of shoes are a pair of Penneys flats and a pair of boots I bought last November. Anything bought in the last year I would consider 'new'. The only new clothes I've bought in the last 3 months or so are a couple of tops worth about 5 euro each, a few bras and a pack of socks. Is anyone else like this? If you looked into my wardrobe, you'd think I spent a fortune on clothes but I don't at all. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

When I first saw this,I thought you actually meant length of material!(Sleep deprivation I think)

I tend to keep winter tops for years,hoodies/jumpers etc.
    I never throw anything out,and am really bad when I go to Penneys.
    I tend to buy 2 or 3 of everything in different colours,especially tops and handbags.
    But they last me ages,despite people who describe Penney's as disposable clothing. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Til they fall apart!

I'm not very good at sewing but it doesn't stop me mending things. I hate the term 'disposable clothing', so bad for the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

seasonally!!! with the exception of my hilwalking and camping gear, every season i go for a shop =D

except of course with jeans i keep them for a year ish, and cardigans the same but everything else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Depends, sometimes I buy stuff and never wear it, somethings I'll wear until the mammy throws them out and are unretrievable from the bottom of the bin :(
    I think my oldest item would probably be one of about ten pairs of O'Neills from years ago but generally there's about a 2 year limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In 11 years I have given away 4 items of clothing. That's it.

Some pieces of clothing are on their 3rd incarnation. dresses to tunics to cardis to scarves....

4 wardrobes full, but organised by season and garment.

Other than that I am really normal. Penny is probably the only shop I don't buy in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Jeans I'll keep for years until they disintegrate. I find it difficult enough to find a nice pair of jeans so I'll keep them as long as humanly possible.

Other than that, once every year or two, I'll go through my clothes and give the stuff that I wore once and never again away to charity. I have penneys clothes from 2 or 3 years ago that I still wear.

I can't bear to throw out clothes that are still intact, for me it's akin to throwing away books or musicals instruments. Bad for the soul!

Advertisement