Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoke guard/ smoke hood/ catcher?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi all,
    i have an open fire, and an old cast iron fireplace, my question is does anyone know where i could get a smoke hood for it? it is a round top type fireplace and i know that any of these type fireplaces that are made new now have this built into them but mines about 150 years old!, i normally have a good draw on my chimney but when im lighting the fire usually or reloading it it smokes alot, i know that you can buy a little metal attachment for a square fireplace like a hood type thing but whats the answer for a round fireplace? i have rang every hardware and fireplace shop locally and half dont know what im talking about so any advise appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Has the chimney started to smoke lately or is it an on going problem ?

The reason I ask is if the house is 150 years old you may need to have the chimney cleaned and posible remedial works carried out.

Chimneys of that era tend to have square flues formed out of brick and parged with lime plaster when being built, the problem may be as simple as the chimney pot or if you have recently renovated the house you may need to fit a vent in the room.

Best chance for a hood would be to get one made out of copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

thanks pete! its only an occasional problem i have a vent fitted it just happens now and again but i feel its that minor that a simple gadget like this would fix it, so where would i buy one of these copper hoods?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I think you may need to get it made to fit, most metal fabrication workshops or coppersmiths should be able to make it to your measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Was the Fireplace designed to have a hood? If you check behind the Top Rail there should be a Mounting Bracket or fitting to take the Hood.
    Try this for spareshttp://www.castironfires.com/dept.aspx?id=91

If there is no sign of a Hood having been previously fitted, then there might be a problem with Draw. Have a smoke test carried out to determine if draw is sufficient. May require remedial work to Unblock the flue, Extend the Flue (above a roofline) or add an anti-downdraught cowl.

Advertisement