Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i upgraded my RAM but

Options
  • 19-09-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

i upgraded my Ram of my Acer laptop but there seems to be no difference in the speed of my laptop, i upgraded from 2 gig to 4 gig of ram. iv checked and my laptop recognises that i now have 4 gig of ram but i cant see any difference.
    is there anything else i have to do to "get it running" or anything llike that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'm supposing you're running vista if your laptop started life with 2g's of ram.
    I'm suprised that you don't notice any speed increase however...

There must be some other things slowing down your pc...
    Do you have an anti-virus program and what is it(either could be the problem).

Run a disc defragmentation. start>programs>system tools>disc defragment (if in xp)
    Or simply type disk defrag into the search bar in vista/W7.

It could also just be your operating system...
    A bad update install, bloated etc.

I reinstall my os every couple of months, just to keep everything running quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

hi, when i instaled it, it recognised i had 4 gig of ram but was still running slow so i reinstalled my os and hoped it would recognise the new ram, now its saying i have 2302MB of RAM.
    i really dont know how to sort it out and any help would be very useful

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll only be able to use 3.24GB on a 32bit system anyways.

Are you sure it was the ram that was the problem? Was the mem usage high before you put in the new ram?

Also, more ram isnt always better, depends on the speed too. AKA Decent 2GB is better than sh1t 4GB. And, I think some boards can only take a certain amount per slot.

before i re installed my os the computer recognised that there was 4 gig of RAM but now it doesnt, iv checked and my laptop can take 4 gig of ram. just not sure why it said i had 4 gig and now only 2 gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Adding more RAM often has a far less dramatic effect on performance than many people have built up in their heads, and does nothing at all if the real bottleneck is elsewhere like a slow HDD or processor.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the problems with the smaller RAM size after a reinstall. Are you able to see how much RAM is recognised in the BIOS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Your onboard GPU is probably mucking about. Many can nick a gigabyte or more of system memory and there are a few models out there capable of "stealing" up to 1792MB from your system RAM! :eek: By adding RAM you may have triggered some retarded behavior on the GPUs part so check your settings!

Solitaire wrote: »
    so check your settings!

sorry to seem like a noob but what settings would they be exactly, im not really familiar with the ins and outs of my laptop.

thanks

Advertisement