Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moodle

• 19-09-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Is anyone else unable to open moodle? I was able to on thursay but I tried today and yesterday & it keeps coming up as "internet explorer unable to display this webpage"..is this just my computer or is moodle not working right now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Tried it there myself and got the same response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not working in Chrome (om nom nom), Firefox or Safari either. It's down. Probably just doing some maintenance, should be up shortly. Happens sometimes :)

So go off and have tea and come back to it. Should be able to get to your stuff then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

banquo wrote: »
    Not working in Chrome (om nom nom), Firefox or Safari either. It's down. Probably just doing some maintenance, should be up shortly. Happens sometimes :)

A lot of the time. :p
    So go off and have tea and come back to it. Should be able to get to your stuff then :D

Tea; Irelands answer to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Saysha

Thanks guys!

Banquo, based on your love of a good cup of tea, do you by any chance work for the SU? Tea seems to be a less a drink and more a way of life over there! :D

The SU? Try the whole college! :D There's a lot of tea fans up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's offline until Monday so they can correct the database problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Saysha

Oh right, thanks mp3guy!

Looks like I'm gonna have to develop a serious taste for the brown stuff (tea, just in case anybody misconstrues this :)) to really be part of the college!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Bit different from nuig then. half the college boozing in college bar at 2 and not a soul to be seen after 6. freshers week down here looked to be very quiet... is it the same in maynooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

As I suspected as I couldn't log on since Thursday sometime, how annoying! I didn't even see a notice on the NUIM website saying that? maybe I missed it hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

Tea; Irelands answer to everything.

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Síle28 wrote: »
    As I suspected as I couldn't log on since Thursday sometime, how annoying! I didn't even see a notice on the NUIM website saying that? maybe I missed it hmmm

I was on today and yesterday. Works fine for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

2 out of 3 of my modules for Anthro have no descriptions....grrr, work, moodle! work!!

Rozabeez wrote: »
    2 out of 3 of my modules for Anthro have no descriptions....grrr, work, moodle! work!!

Yeah, what are they thinking, working over the weekend to get it working for Monday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I understand technical problems can pop up and there's nothing anyone can do but they should have given themselves more time to get it up and running.

Not working for me....is it working for anyone there not on campus?
    Also cant get the timetable to load up

Devia wrote: »
    I understand technical problems can pop up and there's nothing anyone can do but they should have given themselves more time to get it up and running.

After months of people berating the people who run moodle I've never seen anyone actually thank them for anything. To be honest I doubt any of you know the way things work in the computer centre, so to start firing off suggestions on how it should be ran is a bit rich.

They get thanked with their pay cheque for their perfectly mediocre job performance.

Face it. The webmail looks as if it was put together by someone who pines for the good old days.

/pats centre on back

It takes about 20 minutes for a printer in the library to send a pdf to the printer, and when you get there - joy upon joy - your username isn't there. Hurrah!

/buys another round for the computer centre

Why do we still have firefox 3.0? If you misspell a url it takes ages to become usable again. The update was out ages and ages ago. And don't tell me they're 'testing' it to make sure it's suitable for campus use. ''Oooh, noo, runs too fast. Can't have that.'' Chrome is a very, very fast browser and I'd love to be able to use it on campus. But you and I both know that it will never happen.

/three cheers for the computer centre

Our college website - ever tried searching for anything on it? Wtf? Sometimes it is actually impossible to find what you're looking for within the site. I could only find the date for my registration (repeats, you see) by google ''nuim repeats registration september'' after nearly an hour trying to find it on the site. I'd guess that the most clicked link on the homepage is mail, yet they have that - and all the other useful stuff - down in the very bottom right-hand corner of the page. It's an awfully laid-out site.

I love you, computer centre.

And why are they putting time in trying to get MYCE up to look like other services (it looks a lot like google calendar) when the other services already exist and are free?! Reinventing the wheel? Anyone? The wheel?

7dcp798jgouk2qghzlik.jpg

They get thanked with their pay cheque for their perfectly mediocre job performance.

On what basis do you call it mediocre?
    Face it. The webmail looks as if it was put together by someone who pines for the good old days.

Aesthetics is a genuine concern of yours?
    It takes about 20 minutes for a printer in the library to send a pdf to the printer, and when you get there - joy upon joy - your username isn't there. Hurrah!

Hardly their problem.
    Why do we still have firefox 3.0? If you misspell a url it takes ages to become usable again. The update was out ages and ages ago. And don't tell me they're 'testing' it to make sure it's suitable for campus use. ''Oooh, noo, runs too fast. Can't have that.'' Chrome is a very, very fast browser and I'd love to be able to use it on campus. But you and I both know that it will never happen.

Your Google fanboyism is starting to get a bit old.
    Our college website - ever tried searching for anything on it? Wtf? Sometimes it is actually impossible to find what you're looking for within the site. I could only find the date for my registration (repeats, you see) by google ''nuim repeats registration september'' after nearly an hour trying to find it on the site. I'd guess that the most clicked link on the homepage is mail, yet they have that - and all the other useful stuff - down in the very bottom right-hand corner of the page. It's an awfully laid-out site.

I personally have no problems.
    And why are they putting time in trying to get MYCE up to look like other services (it looks a lot like google calendar) when the other services already exist and are free?! Reinventing the wheel? Anyone? The wheel?

Do you know for a fact they're putting time into that? I'm sure you'd allow google to mother your own child, but not everyone shares that dream of having google everything, from off site hosted webmail to underwear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Moodle ain't working for me either. "Failed to connect".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

mp3guy wrote: »

Hardly their problem.

Do you know for a fact they're putting time into that?

mp3guy and Computer Centre up a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g...

Maybe that's why they're getting nothing done...

• Advertisement

mp3guy and Computer Centre up a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g...

Maybe that's why they're getting nothing done...

As handy as a job there would be, I'm afraid that's not the case.

1, 2, 3, 4,
    5, 6, 7

And that's from a forum with very few members.

Sure is. But more of a concern is useability. A beautiful interface is one that is easy to use and find your way around, in my books. To those who don't know how to forward mail/receive it from another account, the instructions are buried in there somewhere. Lots of my mail fits into more than one category, so why have folders and not labels?
    Hardly their problem.

It's mine and any other student who uses the library's problem. Not their problem. Their job, maybe?

Didn't ask. Also, irrelevant. My point isn't really about Chrome or any other Google software. It's more about how painfully long it seems to take TCC to upgrade anything. Firefox 3.5 has been out for 3 months - install it already! The latest version of Office - the one that will come on any new computer or laptop - has been out since 2006. Nearly four years ago. OpenOffice, which is free and will open and save as all types of popular document files, would be a perfect addition to campus computers. But they won't do that either unless I keep going to these SU meetings and bothering them until they do it.

*yells to crowd*
    It's ok guys! Mp3guy has no problem, ergo all your problems don't exist! It's probably not material that, being different people studying different years of different courses, and that we'll all avail of different services in our time here that we probably don't all use the same parts of the site. And you're right, the search engine is just wonderful. I bet a whole day's work was put into it.
    Do you know for a fact they're putting time into that? I'm sure you'd allow google to mother your own child, but not everyone shares that dream of having google everything, from off site hosted webmail to underwear

To be fair, I don't know for a fact, but it has waaay more features than I remember from back in first year. So that's an assumption on my part.
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It's not that I think Google are the best thing ever and should automatically be given jurisdiction over everything. Far from it - Wordpress > blogger, FB > Orkut any day. And these things may not be the direct fault of the computer centre - I don't know exactly what is their jursidiction and what isn't. I'll admit that. But someone who's paid too is not giving a rat's ass about the computer services in this college. Why defend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Not trying to annoy anyone but I have to agree with Banquo on at least some of his points.

There's a huge difference between aesthetics and usability, not only does the Webmail look horrible, it functions horribly as well, it takes ages to load and is as clunky as email from 1998, not to mention you can't use it on any external devices like _any_other_university_in_the_country_ that nearly all use Google

Even if it is Fanboyism on Banquos part the fact is that Google Apps>MYCE anyday, Google are one of the biggest companies in the world(if not the biggest) and have some of the most streamlined and usable services available(let alone free to universities too, God knows how much NUIM pay to Sun Microsystems for licenses), they have bloody focus groups on what shade of blue to use in their logo, nobody else can compete with that.

But someone who's paid too is not giving a rat's ass about the computer services in this college.
    not to mention you can't use it on any external devices like _any_other_university_in_the_country_ that nearly all use Google
    Google are one of the biggest companies in the world(if not the biggest)
    and have some of the most streamlined and usable services available
    (let alone free to universities too, God knows how much NUIM pay to Sun Microsystems for licenses)
    they have bloody focus groups on what shade of blue to use in their logo, nobody else can compete with that.

[citation needed]

I'll resume this discussion when you're finished, until then, I'm not saying another word ;)

:D

Friendly debate over the next drinks? You could probably tell me alot more about how the computer centre works,and what it's actual job description is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Meh, the entire computer infrastructure is crap, really annoys me too as I'm doing CSSE and I was hoping to be in a uni with some of the latest software and hardware at my disposal but as of yet I've been quite dissapointed. I imagine loads of other colleges use moodle and seeing how popular it is it mustn't be giving much bother for them. If they'd quit tinkering and modifying it they'd have much less problems.

:D

Friendly debate over the next drinks? You could probably tell me alot more about how the computer centre works,and what it's actual job description is.

Always a possibility :P
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Meh, the entire computer infrastructure is crap, really annoys me too as I'm doing CSSE and I was hoping to be in a uni with some of the latest software and hardware at my disposal but as of yet I've been quite dissapointed.

Sounds to me like you're not quite sure what exactly CSSE is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Sounds to me like you're not quite sure what exactly CSSE is.
    Of course I know what it is, are you saying I've spent a year not knowing what I'm doing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Moodle is a funny word isn't it. Moo goes the cow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Moodle is a funny word isn't it. Moo goes the cow!

From the first day of first year, I've always thought moodle should have a friendly mascot, and it would look like a noodle, but have cowprint on it and big eyes like the old MS Word paperclip.

Sadly, no.

Advertisement