Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build won't POST

Options
  • 19-09-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

I've got a problem with my new setup, been looking all over the net for any help but no joy.

First off these are the core components,

iCute AP-700AS 700W PSU
    AMD Phenom II X4 9453 3.0Ghz AM3
    Asus M4N78-SE Socket-AM2+/AM3nForce 720D, ATX
    Crucial DDR2 Ballistix PC6400 2GB CL4,2.0V, 256Megx64
    MSI GeForce GTS250 1GB PhysX Twin-Frozr OC

I currently have the setup breadboarded to try and chase down the fault. Running with just the Mobo, CPU and HSF, I get one long and two short beeps which I'm told is Asus's ram error code. All fine since the ram isn't installed yet. However when I install the ram and run the rig I get no beep codes at all. I should be getting a video error code at this point. Connecting the GPU I get "No Signal" on the monitor.

I'm assuming the trouble is at the ram stage. The crucial ram is compatable with that mobo according to Asus but I tried another brand to be sure, checked both slots. Still get no beep codes at the ram stage.

All fans on the setup run, HDD and optical drives get power so I doubt its the PSU.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Faulty Motherboard, Send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

That's what I'm thinking alright. Second time an Asus board has been DOA for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Does sound typical of motherboard problem. I've just had and old mobo die on me and that would give me an error beep if I took the memory out but do nothing with it in. Rebuilt the whole system on another mobo and its fine so can only have been the motherboard in that particular case.

Edit> First suspect in above case was PSU and I give that a check in your case just to be sure (check correct voltages).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Unfortunatly I don't have another mobo that can take the parts so I'll just RMA it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking alright. Second time an Asus board has been DOA for me :(

Sad really as ASUS is known for good quality, I had an ASUS Grafix card DOA once myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Not sure what happens when the AM2+ mobo has a AM3 processor in it and the bios isn't updated for the AM3 processor, but it could be the problem.

Maybe you need to update the mobo's bios to accept the am3 processor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 STOP RESISTING

not necessary,

AM2+/AM3 boards with an AM3 processor should default to the reduced functionality of AM2+ as the next available (standard?). BIOS updates are being released by SOME board manufacturers to enable AM3 functionality but not for all boards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AMD and board partners made a lot of noise about AM3 chips being a drop-in replacement for current-gen AM2 boards (7** chipsets). They may need a BIOS update for full functionality but such updates exist for almost all RS7** mobos. Its when you talk about older boards and nVidia chipsets that things start getting dicey. That said the cheapest AM3 board out there is an ancient nForce4 (yes, really, GeForce6100 and all!) mobo updated to AM3 spec...

Advertisement