Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing gun from N.I

Options
  • 19-09-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Does anyone know if i can still get a gun in the north? and bring it down when licence comes through. Was out looking around gun shops in the south but some of the prices are stupid, and all you get from the dealer when you tell them how much you can get it for in NI is that the VAT is the problemhere being more than in uk. Even at 6% difference which would be €120 on a €2000 gun sum of there prices are €200 more ontop.
    So was thinking of stuffing the shop local idea and going north to get a better deal, has anyone else done this recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Does anyone know if i can still get a gun in the north? and bring it down when licence comes through. Was out looking around gun shops in the south but some of the prices are stupid, and all you get from the dealer when you tell them how much you can get it for in NI is that the VAT is the problemhere being more than in uk. Even at 6% difference which would be €120 on a €2000 gun sum of there prices are €200 more ontop.
    So was thinking of stuffing the shop local idea and going north to get a better deal, has anyone else done this recently?

gave ye it again bunnyshooter north west country sports in strabane 04871883021 ask for martin or even some of the other lads am sure they will sort you out. or a man called pat lough from mannor pm me for his number,dont know alot about him but afew lads say he is top notch as well ,gud luck. by the way it only €20 to take over the border.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cecil in Tannyoky Gunshop, Newry. Great selection, good prices and because he lives on the border he is used to dealing with the lads this side. Has helped other lads doing the same. Give him a shout. Details on web.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ezridax wrote: »
    Cecil in Tannyoky Gunshop, Newry. Great selection, good prices and because he lives on the border he is used to dealing with the lads this side. Has helped other lads doing the same. Give him a shout. Details on web.

I'll agree here. Tannyoky have my Sako and they're spot on to deal with, very informative and even knew a few useful bits about the paperwork that I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bunnybuster

Cheers lads, just wasnt sure on the rules with the licenses changing, didnt know if you could do it yourself or had to get a dealer this side to import it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Tannyocky have good selection but are expensive and not easy to do business with - we spent a lot of cash there recently and he wouldn't throw in f all for luck penny, kinda me own fault but they even backtracked on a point agreed on during first visit, when paid deposit.

Won't deal there again, though they're very nice about it and all that.

Try Norman Harpur in Newtownbutler - knows his stuff and knows how to do a deal.

• Advertisement

Well Duck's hoop, you can't please all the people all the time. My father still deals with a man he has known for 20+ years, yet the same (nameless) person has screwed me twice. First time i vowed not go back but on request from my father and against my better judgement i did only to get screwed again. Needless to say i haven't been back since, my father and others of his generation still deal with him and swear by him. End rant.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks for the advice, think i might head out tomorrow and have a look around some of the shops up north see what they got and try and get rid of the money thats been burrning a hole in my pocketlast few weeks.
    Should hopefully have gun before xmas then if tickets are going through in 3 months

Bunnybuster if you are thinking of buying up north buy your sterling now. €1 = £0.987. Great value. Might even be better next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ezridax wrote: »
    Bunnybuster if you are thinking of buying up north buy your sterling now. €1 = £0.987. Great value. Might even be better next week.

How did you get that rate? I am getting €1.00 = £.904 on XE.com?

Just checked that, AIB, Bank of Ireland etc and you're rate is right according to them but i was just going from the front pages of the papers. Put it this way last week it was 84p to the € now its (according to the banks) 91p. Give it a week. Still a good time to buy sterling. Bought some a few months ago when the rate was good, kept it for the Country Fair in Antrim. Didn't need it in the end (it was crap).Spent most of it in Tannyoky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

.17hmr wrote: »
    gave ye it again bunnyshooter north west country sports in strabane 04871883021 ask for martin or even some of the other lads am sure they will sort you out. or a man called pat lough from mannor pm me for his number,dont know alot about him but afew lads say he is top notch as well ,gud luck. by the way it only €20 to take over the border.

Martin will sort everything out for you and Pat Lough will bring it over the border, both men are gentlemen. Tell them Liam sent you ;)

Chears Liam, was over there last week didnt have much i liked/could afford, had a nice browning xs but was allready sold.Also went to tannyoky guns, have a good selection there of new and s/h and you can walk in gun room and choose what to look at,was looking at brownings and mirruku, a bit of the marked prices to.Then went to Donal MCloy in Toome, great gun room and plenty of guns again i was mainly looking at brownings and miroku,had sum loverly guns.Ended up getting a good deal on a browning, changed money before i went and was offered a good deal for cash and service was also very good.Worth a trip up to have a look.
    Just need to have a word with a local dealer to import it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Donals is very good. Eugene and the lads are very good and great craic. They see a lot of guns through their doors.

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

Chears Liam, was over there last week didnt have much i liked/could afford, had a nice browning xs but was allready sold.Also went to tannyoky guns, have a good selection there of new and s/h and you can walk in gun room and choose what to look at,was looking at brownings and mirruku, a bit of the marked prices to.Then went to Donal MCloy in Toome, great gun room and plenty of guns again i was mainly looking at brownings and miroku,had sum loverly guns.Ended up getting a good deal on a browning, changed money before i went and was offered a good deal for cash and service was also very good.Worth a trip up to have a look.
    Just need to have a word with a local dealer to import it for me.
    Pat Lough is based outside Manorcunningham, Martin uses him and he is very helpful and reasonable.

Advertisement