Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for shavings/coarse sawdust

Options
  • 19-09-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for a supply of hardwood shavings and or coarse sawdust - oak etc. Do any of you have or know where I can find a regular supply or perhaps a few binbags of the stuff ? It's for my wood smoker for my fish etc.

Cheers

FB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

try any sawmills maybe? Or I would suggest bolton street institute of technology or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah give a few sawmills or timber yards a go. The shavings from a planer/thicknesser would be ideal. Although I'd imagine in a lot of these places the table saws, sanders, p/t's etc are all hooked up to the one vacumn system and thus there could be any amount of varieties of wood in the sacks and desposits ranging from course to very fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Tree Surgeons?

Ask them to put a few oak branches though one of their big shredders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best way to ensure that you get clean woodchips with no treated wood amongst them is to make them yourself.
    I use an Arbortech disc on a 4 1/2" grinder and put a piece of plastic DPC on the floor/wall, get a lump of oak and grind away.
    It doesn't take long and you don't have chain oil in them as you get from chainsaws or nasty treated wood dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've actually found a smokery that is willing to sell me their own stuff.

Cheers

FB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is a smokery?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is a smokery?

A place where they 'smoke' stuff - like fish......

Advertisement