Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investments and markets forum

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

The investments and markets forum is in danger of decending into the gambling forum.

People are copying and pasting 'research' from suspect websites on tiny companies in which they own shares in what it appears is an attempt to manipulate the price.

In addition links are appearing to websites known to be used by market manipulators.

All sources of research posted should be indentified so people know where this 'information' and advice (which never used to be allowed to be posted) is coming from.

Poeple should not post links to external 'advice' websites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

a) Are you reporting the posts to the moderators using the report.gif symbol?

b) have you sent them PM to express your concerns to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

yes to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be fair in response to a), I only see 1 reported post from you in that forum. That hardly indicates a widespread issue.

What did the moderators say in response to your PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I was away yesterday and Time Magazine sorted the thread/post you reported Really-Stressed.

I'm probably the most active poster/moderator on the I&M forum and I have never received communication from you regarding any material on the forum.

I 100% agree that sources should be backed up but, then again, I have a thread going that links to multiple websites offering analysis of various markets. Should I stop?

There is a disclaimer warning people that no investment advice is to be given on the forum.

There is a fair amount of useless analysis on the Irish banks that certainly amounts to gambling. You will find that a number of posters, myself included, regularly warn others that this is simply gambling and the analysis is flawed. I don't see what more we can do other than sensoring every single post.

Regarding market manipulation, as Ed Seykota says, everybody gets what they want out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The investments and markets forum is in danger of decending into the gambling forum.
    Re: the banking threads, I wish I could say that I&M might someday ascend to the level of the gambling forum :pac:
    Poeple should not post links to external 'advice' websites.
    I disagree. Ask About Money has some dodgy stuff but imho it's at a higher level than I&M. Although AAM may be considered a rival to Boards, I think it would be heavy-handed to forbid links to them, don't you agree?

I agree that when things are really out of hand (and where we notice/get reported posts) we should intervene. But that's exactly what we do, just as we did with your recent reported post (even though it upset others.)

(And to add: a quick search suggests that I have never received a PM from you. That doesn't mean you haven't PM'd any of the other mods, though.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement