Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC keeps rebooting

• 19-09-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

Hi all, need a quick fix here, I have a friends Dell inspirion 5000 pc, there was a lot of clutter on it so we decided to reinstall windows XP home the origional disk. It goes through all the procedures "Formating the Drive" "coping Files" but when it reboots Im getting an error. Basiclly the Pc will reboot the Dell logo comes up and then it reboots again and keeps repeating it's self just as far as the Dell logo.
    Can anyone through some light on this pls.
    We have tried the recovery disc and that came up ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

At a big guess can you check if the ram is correctly configured in the bios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

can you tell me, I had a look in the bios and I dont think they can be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I think I encountered something similar many years ago, but that would have been a different OS obviously. Which level format are you doing? Try a high-level [long] format, if you haven't already done so. Also, try getting your hands on a bootdisk from another computer if you can, and then usse it on the laptop.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Kevin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you changed the boot sequence? Sometimes if you have the CD drive first then it does back into the disk rather than continue the install from the HDD.

Thanks guys, ive rung my mate and he told me he got an extra 2gb of ram installed, so ive removed them and down to 1gb,
    As for the Boot disk I'll try and download it but on a slow laptop at the mo. We have done a long format NTFS but still the same

• Advertisement

ok tried it with the origional ram in it now Im getting "A disk read error occurred Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to Restart"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Reformat it again now with the original RAM in it. Actually, just reinstall Windows. it should detect the RAM and configure the relevant settings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ok tried it with the origional ram in it now Im getting "A disk read error occurred Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to Restart"

I had that error recently with a Dimension 3000. Had to format the drive to fix it.
    Obviously tho, you've already done that. :)

Can you use a spare hard drive?

ok will do I'll be back asap

Its very slow 30% at the moment

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I reformatted it with the original Ram and it worked a treat, its on the first phase of the reinstall. When everything is back up and running I'll reinstall the other 2GB of Ram.
    Thanks again guys :)

if i was you id memtest that other new ram he got is there a chance that you were installing the os with that in the comp and it caused a few errors.

if i was you id memtest that other new ram he got is there a chance that you were installing the os with that in the comp and it caused a few errors.
    Thanks again, I'll do a mem test on the ram tomorrow. But it was working fine yesterday with the 3GB in.

Thanks again, I'll do a mem test on the ram tomorrow. But it was working fine yesterday with the 3GB in.
    Well ram problems are tricky sometimes i had a ram problem that would only pop up when playing really demanding games otherwise comp would work perfect the rest of the time

Advertisement