Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find a 'no hunting' sign.

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm new to boards so I hope I'm posting in the correct area, and apologies if I'm not.

I'm desperate to find somewhere that sells 'no hunting' signage for farm gates. I need something made of a strong material, not just laminate. And also any tips about how to keep hunters from my land. I was v. upset to discover that fox hunting had been happening on my farm, without permission. I've put locks on the gates but I would also like to put up signs and can't find any online that deliver to Ireland. Also, does anyone know if there are any laws to prevent hunters from entering my land?

Thanks, Kathy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

You could find the people that run the hunt and tell them which land is yours and not to hunt on it.

You could also try some of those 'old man hardware shops' and ask them if they have any no hunting signs.

Another thing you could do is ask in the hunting forum, it's not like they are evil there, they will most likely help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have seen signs in hardware shops but can't remember if any said no hunting but no trespassing/tresspassers will be prosecuted/no entry signs are pretty common and perhaps might help for now until you find no hunting ones.

Also for now perhaps tack some laminated printed up signs on some marine ply and put them around the place.

Good on you for not allowing them on your land, even the huntin aside very very annoying for anyone to think they can just trapse through your land.

Some links.
    e-bay
    http://www.banbloodsports.com/signs.htm

These guys might be able to point you in the right direction.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~foxwatchireland/

A lot of the ones I see around here are printed up and laminated or just drawn with a permanent marker pretty crude but gets the message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hunting forum would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

or put 'no hunting signs' into google.ie

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=no+hunting+signs+for+sale&meta=cr%3DcountryIE&aq=1&oq=no+hunting+si

it comes up with a few links at the top to companies that make up signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Not allowed.
    Have an infraction for that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Make them yourself. It's a much cheaper option, too.

People walking across land is common place; it's leisure walkers, hikers, etc. too. And they leave gates open, bring dogs across land unleashed, leave litter, etc. It's so annoying. And if approached they complain about their right to walk on land, regardless of the fact they're tresspassing.

Instead of all the agro you're going to create with signs, locks, etc. just have a chat with the people in question and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

votejohn wrote: »
    As for keeping the hunters off your land, get a gun, give them a taste of their own medicine!!!

Not really the type of advice advocated here, joke or otherwise

i think everyone knows that was a joke.

votejohn wrote: »
    As for keeping the hunters off your land, get a gun, give them a taste of their own medicine!!!

Enjoy filling out the new licensing application form, finding referees, etc. etc.

ok, maybe people dont realise its a joke.

so to clarify, i was joking :p

• Advertisement

And just to clarify, my last post above was also tongue-in-cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Also to clarify... this isn't the humour forum :P
    please back on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lightning_saa

get a post, a nail, a hammer a piece of chip board nd some paint

bish bash bosh

do it yourself mux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

convert wrote: »
    hikers, etc. too. And they leave gates open, bring dogs across land unleashed, leave litter, etc.

Silly post. Hikers don't leave rubbish behind them, they are out on the land to enjoy it, not destroy it and they know the law of the land.

Do you have personal experience of self professed hikers walking across your land leaving rubbish behind them and neglecting to close gates, allowing animals to wander?(maybe a topic better suited to F&F?).

OP, my best advice would be to make the signs yourself. That way you don't have to wait for them to be made by someone else. Locks on the gates with no trespassing signs would also be a good idea. It sends a very clear message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

convert wrote: »
    OP, my best advice would be to make the signs yourself

This is what I would advise too - wood, red and white paint and some sort of sealant/lacquer to protect it. Cheap, effective and easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

The ncf connaught gold stores make signs up also put in your local paper land preserved no hunting day or night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Hi, I'm new to boards so I hope I'm posting in the correct area, and apologies if I'm not.

I'm desperate to find somewhere that sells 'no hunting' signage for farm gates. I need something made of a strong material, not just laminate. And also any tips about how to keep hunters from my land. I was v. upset to discover that fox hunting had been happening on my farm, without permission. I've put locks on the gates but I would also like to put up signs and can't find any online that deliver to Ireland. Also, does anyone know if there are any laws to prevent hunters from entering my land?

Thanks, Kathy.

Kathy,

As a hunter, people hunting on your land is against the law.
    It is not acceptable. If you would like to PM me an address I can send you one professionally made sign that states "Lands preseved for fur & feather sign."
    We maintain a balanced countryside down my way, we keep some preserves & hence use these signs. I have some spare so will part with one to help you out & hopefully help bridge the gap between hunters & non hunters... I you like the sign I can pass on the details of the chap who made them from Co Limerick.

Advertisement