Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics to Banking/ Finance?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I've just entered a Physics with Astonomy and Space Science degree in UCD. I've heard that some people who have a physics degree enter into banking and finance at Masters level. I might be interested in this career root later but is there anyone out there who did this, is it possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

I vaguely remember hearing about a masters at DCU that covered finance for people without a finance background, but I could be wrong.

I did physics myself. Technically, you should be able to do it. You may not have the finance background, but you'll easily have the skills to learn.

Although employers would probably prefer someone with a business degree. I applied for various office admin jobs, such as payroll, which I would be more than able to handle with what I learned in my degree (i.e. computer, numerical skills) but from my experience people don't seem to realise that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

the MSc in Finance at TCD would be good for your situation - its designed to appeal to non-business as well as business graduates. A decent percentage of the class each year do not have finance majors, but there is no way of distinguishing them from the final grades achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

All finance courses would take you. You'd be even better off taking the more quant focussed finance courses where you background would be better leveraged. Physics is a great degree in general to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Hey all thanks for the replies, I'm very grateful, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know several people who've ended up in Finance following Physics degrees. They didn't do any form of conversion course, but they did all have post-grad (MSc, PhD) quals in Physics.

It's entirely possible - part of Physics will be mathematics and the ability to model - if you're able to do that to a high standard then you'll be more than able to do that in a finance world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The MSc in Business Analytics in UCD is concerned with quantitative business modelling, which includes finance but also a broader set of applications. A physics grad would be well suited to this, if they do a bit of programming along the way.

Advertisement