Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts -how many hours a week ?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering applying for Arts next year as a mature student and was wondering how many hours a week you guys are doing in general with lectures and tutorials etc.? How many hours self-directed study are expected ?
    Just wondering if I'll be able for it really as I have 3 children so have lots of running around to do !:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

In class hours depends on the subject. You can check out the hours for each module on myucd.ie . I have maybe 15-18 hours a week.

As to how much study needs to be done on top of that? There are so many variables that it is hard to give a straight answer.
    - Do you just want to pass or do you want to get an A+?
    - Do you have any prior (life) experience of the subjects that you would be studying?
    - Are you independently interested your subjects? For example, I'm doing economics, and enjoy reading The Economist, the business section of the newspaper, etc. It would rarely be directly relevant to the exam I'm taking, but it helps keep me in the mindset.

It also depends on the time of year. Even with the best will in the world, you'll do less at the beginning of the semester and more in the last 2-3 weeks prior to exams.

You want to be able to commit to 100% lecture attendance, and then be able to give more time just prior to exams and assignment hand ins.

Plenty of non-mature students get by with minimal lecture attendance and some last minute cramming, but I would say that it wouldn't be worth coming back as a mature student if that was going to be your modus operandi. You want to get value from the educational experience.

The mature students I know with children rely a lot on their spouse and their parents to help with child minding. Support like that really makes then difference.

You may also want to check out this link

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/access/

Mature students that I have talked to say the access course was very good in terms of preparing them to return to education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 EthanWM

The hours and time in Arts are really quite flexible if you register early enough.

Depending on the subjects you can expect to be doing anything from 12-20 hours a week. I've found 15 hours is the average amount of hours a week. Then agian it really depends on your subjects.

Advertisement