Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Accommodation - exempt from PRTB?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is campus accomodation exempt from the rules laid out by the PRTB?
    I had a displinary incident during the year- I was informed I would be called up to the Juniors Deans office to discuss this but the call never came. Then when I go to get my deposit back they had deducted €100 as a fine for the incident. I got absolutely no hearing and no right of reply.

Anyway could I have a case at the PRTB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know.

I think your first port of call should be the Junior Dean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I remember being told back in college that all campus accommodation are technically hotels, precisely to ensure that the owners don't have to put up with silly things like tenants rights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

DCU campus residences appear on the PRTB register as at May 2009. Have a look at the Dublin 9 section. To find do a ctrl+F for 'Dcu'.

http://www.prtb.ie/PublishedRegister2009/dublin9_09.htm

This would imply that student residences are not exempted from the legislation.

What was the nature of the incident? Was there any damage to property or was it a case of setting off fire alarms or something like that? Presumably they have it covered by the lease/rental agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The incident was quite trivial- I had some frinds of mine in my campus room at 3am. They were supposed to be signed in at the security desk but of course I was quite pissed and it slipped my mind. Im more annoyed about the way the fine was implemented- I was given no hearing and no right of reply whatsoever, much more akin to a dictatorship than a democracy IMO.

Id be reasonably sure the lease/rental agreement covers disclipinary matters as Trinity rarely overlook these things but Im wondering would the PRTB have a list of things that a landlord can and cant deduct from the deposit? ie damage to the place is fair enough but can a landlord go as far as to fine people part of their deposit over their behaviour as regards to house rules, etc? In this instance si it possible PRTB rules would supercede those set out in a rental agreement ? If so I might have a case....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The problem is that technically they're not your 'landlord', it works like it would in a hotel, as someone mentioned above. Saw a lot of people whinging about this in DCU when I was there, this also applies to the private, section 23 apartments across the road too, they word the 'lease' in such a way that it's not actually a lease, but more like a hotel T&Cs.

• Advertisement

You need to read up on TCDs rules. AFAIK the ability to take fines from your accommodation deposit is explicit, but the matter of not having a hearing is there.

I spoke to someone in TCD and they said you would have been told about this at the time. Having been "quite pissed" you might not have remembered the full details.

No harm in appealing junior dean's decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RATM wrote: »
    The incident was quite trivial- I had some frinds of mine in my campus room at 3am. They were supposed to be signed in at the security desk but of course I was quite pissed and it slipped my mind. Im more annoyed about the way the fine was implemented- I was given no hearing and no right of reply whatsoever, much more akin to a dictatorship than a democracy IMO.

Id be reasonably sure the lease/rental agreement covers disclipinary matters as Trinity rarely overlook these things but Im wondering would the PRTB have a list of things that a landlord can and cant deduct from the deposit? ie damage to the place is fair enough but can a landlord go as far as to fine people part of their deposit over their behaviour as regards to house rules, etc? In this instance si it possible PRTB rules would supercede those set out in a rental agreement ? If so I might have a case....

Did you sign something to state that if you broke the rules you'd lose your deposit?

Advertisement