Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choir audition?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I am just about to start a BMus and have to join one of the choirs in the college. As I am taking voice as first instrument, I have to audition for the Chamber choir and if I don't get in, join one of the others that are open to all.

I am completely new to the world of Choral music and would appreciate any suggestions for a suitable one minute segment to sing. I am female, an alto and have a mature, untrained voice, although I am a very experienced and confident singer.

Thank you....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Is this in Maynooth? Just asking because if we know the place, then someone may have insider info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It is indeed FP!

Great, well I'm Sean, the VP of the music soc, I was the one sitting down when we gave you guys a talk on Monday. :)

I've never been in the Chamber choir, but from what I've been told, its all down to teh repertoire the leader chooses. For example, this year I think its all rachmaninoff and his vespers, so the director will prob go for really low basses over more technically perfect men who just can't reach those famous low notes in teh Ave Maria!

In general, the main thing to remember, is confidence in your ability (as you said you have!). Sight reading is NOT necessary. You can sing whatever you want, but make sure it completely shows off your voice. Then, its all down to the judges.

Remember! If you don't get in this year (and it will be VERY hard, as teh numbers have been whittled from 24 to 16! :eek: ), do try again next year!

Best of luck! :)

Thanks FP! I really enjoyed that talk.....you are a witty bunch!

I was one of the mature students starting as I mean to go on....sitting up the front....:)

Thanks for the advice.

Haha! Its a good place to be, would I be right in saying you were the tall lady in Colm's group?

Try not to worry about the audition, I'm sure you'll be fine. What are you thinking of singing?

• Advertisement

Right again! I really haven't decided yet. I am most comfortable singing my own compositions but I don't think that would be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Off-topic I know, but Funky Penguin...I always had the impression that you were female for some reason!! I hope you're not offended... I was sure that you once said you were a soprano or something, that's probably why. Yet another case of me getting things embarrassingly wrong!

From now on, I shall call you SEAN. Ahem... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I've never been in the Chamber choir, but from what I've been told, its all down to teh repertoire the leader chooses. For example, this year I think its all rachmaninoff and his vespers, so the director will prob go for really low basses over more technically perfect men who just can't reach those famous low notes in teh Ave Maria!

Bassii Profundii FTW!!

On further inspection, I believe these rumors of Rach's Vespers were indeed just rumors..... :(

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Off-topic I know, but Funky Penguin...I always had the impression that you were female for some reason!! I hope you're not offended... I was sure that you once said you were a soprano or something, that's probably why. Yet another case of me getting things embarrassingly wrong!

From now on, I shall call you SEAN. Ahem... :D

That happens all the time, I really should throw something manly into my signature or something! :D

.....and as an aside, I auditioned for this choir because they quite short on tenors and the director asked me to, a few hours before they started....

Unprepared, all I could sing was happy birthday! :pac:

Sadie06, how did they go for you?

• Advertisement

I'm sure you gave a splendid rendition of it Funky Penguin!

I think it went quite well but time will tell. I was just glad I held my nerve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

On further inspection, I believe these rumors of Rach's Vespers were indeed just rumors..... :(

Awww maaaaaaan, but they did bogoroditse devo last year so I dunno why they'd sing it again. Those vespers are fairly lovely though.

Would be nice if they did Totus Tuus

or

Szeroka Woda

Górecki FTW!

*I say FTW far too much..........*

You also listen to Gorecki far too much.. :pac:

Advertisement