Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire place hearth- Multi Fuel Stove 9kw

Options
  • 19-09-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering what stone people used for their hearths.

I have picked up some polished stone for the job but i am worried it will crack.
    I think it is red/pink granite (21mm Thick)

The large stone at the back is 1550mm long by 500 wide
    The step out is 900mm long and 300 wide

Do i need to cut the long one underneath the stove?
    I will post up a pic of the sample of stone i got!

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Chances are the heat from the stove will crack the stone if you use it one piece, most hearths for solid fuel are in 3 > 4 pieces.

Sory I don't know how big each section can be worth checking wih any fireplace manufacturer, in fact it may pay to get them to cut it for you as they have the correct diamond tip blades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Yeah i was thinking it will need to be cut, its a pity thou but i suppose its better than uncontrolled cracking.

The stove does has quite high legs (around 150mm)

I bought the stone in a salvage yard, a bargain at €40! Over 1.5m2 of polished stone.

I'm away for a few days and will post up pics after i'm finished the fireplace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 radio1

Am not sure if I can help. I have a 6kW unit (not yet installed). the manual says that the base should be at least 125mm thick. perhaps your one may be sitting on a concrete base which may provide adequate thickness

kodak wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am just wondering what stone people used for their hearths.

I have picked up some polished stone for the job but i am worried it will crack.
    I think it is red/pink granite (21mm Thick)

The large stone at the back is 1550mm long by 500 wide
    The step out is 900mm long and 300 wide

Do i need to cut the long one underneath the stove?
    I will post up a pic of the sample of stone i got!

Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 radio1

Thanks - I was quoted about €180 for 1 sq m . Any idea where I could get a base cheaper?

Yeah i was thinking it will need to be cut, its a pity thou but i suppose its better than uncontrolled cracking.

I bought the stone in a salvage yard, a bargain at €40! Over 1.5m2 of polished stone.

I'm away for a few days and will post up pics after i'm finished the fireplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Shouldn't be a problem. Our stove is on a solid piece of Granite, and has never cracked. Would imagine the legs are no more than 150mm high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement