Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP1 but no updates for SP2

• 19-09-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I have Vista 32bit-HP, updated, and I saw there is a Vista SP2 update. But when Vista Automatically updates or I do it manually, SP2 does not show up as an option. Also when I click Show hidden updates, still no SP2. Any ideas,

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

is they any updates at all showing up, maybe you need to install them first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

mukki wrote: »
    is they any updates at all showing up, maybe you need to install them first

No I have all the updates installed and still SP2 is still no showing.

I will try installing it manually

SickBoy wrote: »

Sickboy that link is for the Windows Server 2008 SP2 and not Vista 32bit...

Edit :[Sorry just noticed it says Vists SP2 as well..Thanks]

Could it be that Windows Update is hiding SP2 due to an incompatible driver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Whats the problem?

I thought installing Vista's SP2 was a one time operation so it can't be uninstalled so why would it show up in Programs or Features? Even the Installed Updates only shows updates that are Uninstallable.

Just press the Windows Key and the Pause Break key at the same time to bring up the Control panel> System window and about 4 lines below where it says View basic information about your computer it should say Service Pack 2 if its installed.

Edit> Just checked my Vista system and once SP2 is installed you no longer see either of the Service Packs in Programs and Features so if you can still see SP1 then I guess SP2 didn't install, check the event log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Karsini wrote: »
    Could it be that Windows Update is hiding SP2 due to an incompatible driver?

Aye. Incompatible BIOS can also stop it from installing.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Aye. Incompatible BIOS can also stop it from installing.

Does the OP actually say "Vista Service Pack 2 did not install"?

Would be nice if he got back with an update though.

ttm wrote: »
    Does the OP actually say "Vista Service Pack 2 did not install"?

Would be nice if he got back with an update though.

No the SP2 update is not actually showing on the Windows Update listing

Just finished manually downloading the SP2 updates and the update installed with no problems. Strange as to why it never showed up on the Windows Update screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Probably because your drivers are not up to date. could be a BIOS flash you need to perform or a GPU driver thats out of date. Both have prevented mine from offering the SP2 update in the past. Try to do manual installs only as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

batman2000 wrote: »
    Just finished manually downloading the SP2 updates and the update installed with no problems. Strange as to why it never showed up on the Windows Update screen

Okay we probably won't see you back here for a while, as installing service packs from downloads is very it and miss. The reason why the service pack was probably never offered is because you have to install all the other updates be make Vista ready for the SP2. I'm hope your lucky and everything works out fine if not I hope you have everything backed up.

But I mentioned in my post #4 that all other updates were installed and therefore my machine was up to date. I did a new flash rev of the BIOS recently (latest rev). Doing updates on all other (including GPU dones last month). SO I still don't know why.
    Post #11- SP2 updated with no issues. Thanks for the advice though

I'm on dialup so don't allow Vista to update automatically. So was annoyed to download SP2 when it came out only to find I had to install SP1 before SP2 would install. My machine had no other updates I can think of and I just installed SP1 followed by SP2 and they worked fine.

Advertisement