Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres

• 19-09-2009 4:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many miles will you get out of a rear tyre on average?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Really depends on the tyre and how hard / soft it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Would you get 5000 miles out it it? Mine are perilli's but not sure what model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

got close to 17000k from oem tyres on the sv650 - incl 1 trackday.

Squarer than a squared off square with a flat spot though so had to be changed.

Now on the 1000, I go through 2 backs for each front, which I think is the tyre equivalent of the "2 second rule (4 in the wet)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i only got me gixxer a few months back and only changed tires just after that.
    Put a plug in it a few days back and done a a burnout just to be sure it was smooth .lol. Ill get back to you when its gone.Normally bout 5000km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

On a hayabusa , can be as little as 800 miles out of a rear tyre,,,, i suppose it depends on what bike,, and what way you ride it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

On a hayabusa , can be as little as 800 miles out of a rear tyre,,,, i suppose it depends on what bike,, and what way you ride it.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mate has a 03 R1. Paid 300 for set of tires. Front wheel is grand. 3 weeks he got outta back tire. He some pilot though. He does speed a little bit but he gets his knee down on any road corner he wants. Its funny seeing him on bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

nereid wrote: »
    got close to 17000k from oem tyres on the sv650 - incl 1 trackday.

Squarer than a squared off square with a flat spot though so had to be changed.

Now on the 1000, I go through 2 backs for each front, which I think is the tyre equivalent of the "2 second rule (4 in the wet)"

17,000km? Are you kiddin!?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Reason I ask is cause I just happen to notice this on my bike the other day...

IMG_0376 (Small).jpg

Could not bloody believe it. I knew my tyres might need a change soon enough, and my bike is going in for its 6k service now soon, but was totally shocked to see it. It's only on one bit the rest is ok.

Silly of me not to realise before, unless this is some defect and a strip fell off etc.

Won't be riding the bike again until bringing it in to be changed. Lucky I did not have a blowout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Looks like someone did a burnout on it to be honest.

• Advertisement

That's what I said when I saw it!

However, earlier that day I did a tiny one for 2 seconds, but it was on gravel, no way it could do that damage just like that, could it?

Doubt gravel would do that tbh, just looks like wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    17,000km? Are you kiddin!?

i got 22k out of my first set of bridgestones

im on 17k on my second set and hoping to get 22k
    bike is a deauville

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    i got 22k out of my first set of bridgestones

im on 17k on my second set and hoping to get 22k
    bike is a deauville

yup, it was bridgestones I had. Can't remember exactly but 020 sounds like the model number. Have to say the mileage was great, but the handling got appalling towards the end.

The bike was Factory Restricted which would have contributed to the longevity too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

nereid wrote: »
    yup, it was bridgestones I had. Can't remember exactly but 020 sounds like the model number. Have to say the mileage was great, but the handling got appalling towards the end.

The bike was Factory Restricted which would have contributed to the longevity too.

just had a quick look
    battlax bt021r and f sport touring

tyres

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Funny, I've got 10k kilometres off my bt021f's and still going strong. I'd say about 5k on the rear before I got it, and about another 10k left in the rear.

Guys where is a good place to go to get a new tyre fitted in South Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zascar wrote: »

Cotters?

I've had good experience with yer man that fits the tyres from his mobile unit : the bike tyre company (http://www.thebiketyreco.com). I ordered tyres from crossons (http://www.thevisorshop.com) and he fitted them at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

got a rear fitted in killens, sundrive road. Took the wheel down and was fitted and balanced while I waited. 10-15e

• Advertisement

Cheers are there any other mobile tyre companies? I emialed them but want to shop around too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Are the bike tyre company still around? I thought the mobile unit was finished. I went up to newry for tyres, got them for €100 less than the cheapest quote in Dublin. Supplied and fitted, took about 20 minutes, great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I'm due my first tyre change on my GS500. It's the rear wheel, 130/70-17 ... having an awful hard time finding another 130, would a 120 be ok???

That mobile tyre guy has closed down. Are there any others? Need somewhere really near to me where I can get a new tyre, fitted.

Do any of the car tyre places like advanced pitstop etc etc do bikes too? Apart from cotters where else does it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You're not the only one who had this problem:

91616.JPG

I go through two rears for every front as well and I only use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. I think I get around 4,000km on every rear (I never do burn outs and make sure my tyres are always warm before I start pushing or accelerating hard).

I could get a lot more if I took it handy every day but where's the fun in that?

Lads just how dangerous is it to ride on this? I have not been on my bike since i saw it.

If I am to get it fixed I'd have to bring the bike into work and then leave early to go to cotters, its about 20 miles. If I take it easy will I be ok?

Lads just how dangerous is it to ride on this? I have not been on my bike since i saw it.

If I am to get it fixed I'd have to bring the bike into work and then leave early to go to cotters, its about 20 miles. If I take it easy will I be ok?

Yeah just take it handy, if worst comes to worst and it does burst at least you'll be at a decent speed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

take the windiest way to work as possible, and try and keep it tipped over on the good rubber :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Iggy in Blakestown tyre is another good place to get tyres.
    Or order them from Thevisorshop in newry, free posting to you, and get them fitted in Roundabout tyres in walkinstown, who open late and are open on sunday also.

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    take the windiest way to work as possible, and try and keep it tipped over on the good rubber :p

haha :D

Advertisement