Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years- How much study/homework are you doing at the weekends?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm only doing about 2 hours:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Ha! Wish I did that much in 5th year...might have me in college now instead of back in school. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

For the record i count homework and study as two different things,I've known people who say they do 3 hours of study a night,Where as 2 hours of that was an english essay,The other 50 mins was other subjects homework and the last ten mins was looking over something in a language...

I think you should only be asking how much study they are doing,As in taking notes from books reading through chapters etc because you'll get some people who will get 5 hours of homework a weekend and then doing no study and then you'll read their response of "five hours" and think they're doing at least three hours of actual study and panic,Where as maybe they're doing an Irish essay,English essay and 20 question in Engineering.

So yeah,You're better off asking how much study they do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperheart

That's 2 more hours than i'm doing :rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Im 6th year and im doing about 5 hours each day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

I do my written homework, and then a bit of study if I have a test. Going ok so far!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

In sixth year and I'm doing around 3 hours during school and 3 hours when i get home. I need really high points like , so whatever, I think it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Im 6th year and im doing about 5 hours each day

your crazy...why do you feel the need to study so much this early in the year?..id forget it by the time exams come around!

im in 6th year and atm im doing my homework mabe an hour and a half, then i would prob look over notes for half an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm in 6th year too and am wrecked when i get home from school! I don't have enough time to finish my homework everyday let alone study unless i have a test. I plan on doing more i just havn't got around to it yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

You've started studying already??:eek:

As far as homework goes... Somedays I can be up till 10 doing it, others I have only 1 or 2 hours.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Doing no study unless teachers ask me to learn stuff :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Daragh101 wrote: »
    your crazy...why do you feel the need to study so much this early in the year?..id forget it by the time exams come around!

im in 6th year and atm im doing my homework mabe an hour and a half, then i would prob look over notes for half an hour!
    English is not my first language...i came in Dublin 2 years ago..so my english is not so good.Im trying to learn as much as i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

so far its been just enough to not get in trouble in school and only study for tests...so stupid i know but im not in study mode as of yet haha the JC took it all out of me....NOT

English is not my first language...i came in Dublin 2 years ago..so my english is not so good.Im trying to learn as much as i can.

fare enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Annel349

dotzy wrote: »
    so far its been just enough to not get in trouble in school and only study for tests...so stupid i know but im not in study mode as of yet haha the JC took it all out of me....NOT

haha i know the feeling!!!
    ah i just manage to get the homework done....study for tests and leave it at that!! i wouldnt worry about study to much this year even though i probaly shoud!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I barley did any study in 5th year ,2 hours would have been allot on weekends with test not comming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Depends, the HL maths is beginning to get a tad bit more time consuming, especially with long, labourious but easy enough questions being thrown at us. Some nights it'd be 30/40 minutes of maths, and about 15 minutes for every other piece of homework. All-in-all, around 2 and half hours average homework, 3 hours on a bad night.

Don't really study that much atm, only the subjects which we've covered a good bit of complicate stuff in, such as chemistry and maths, that I'll forget/won't understand if I don't look at it again.

It's so early in the year, I can't really see the point in too much study unless you have tests. There can't be more than two or three chapters or whatever subject you're doing covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

I find maths to be one of the quickest subjects to finish :S
    It english that gets me. Looooong answers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

Annel349 wrote: »
    haha i know the feeling!!!
    ah i just manage to get the homework done....study for tests and leave it at that!! i wouldnt worry about study to much this year even though i probaly shoud!! :eek:
    haha +1

il start to worry later on in the year or 6th year but for the minute takin it smooth is workin grand haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm doing 3 - 4 hours homework a night. It's bloody torture. I spent 6 hours on homework one night during the second week. :(

It's mainly biology and english. My teacher is useless, so I spend ages trying to understand what we did in class then tackling my homework and the notes she makes us write. My english teacher gives us about 2 A4 pages to write a night.

I'd like to be studying, it's actually hard to cram proper study in around all the work.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm doing 3 - 4 hours homework a night. It's bloody torture. I spent 6 hours on homework one night during the second week. :(

It's mainly biology and english. My teacher is useless, so I spend ages trying to understand what we did in class then tackling my homework and the notes she makes us write. My english teacher gives us about 2 A4 pages to write a night.

I'd like to be studying, it's actually hard to cram proper study in around all the work.

wow take it easy!..an hour or two should be plenty for 5th year for homework!...im in 6th year this year doing about an hour and a half or two a nite and im in good shape!

wow take it easy!..an hour or two should be plenty for 5th year for homework!...im in 6th year this year doing about an hour and a half or two a nite and im in good shape!

I'd like to take it easy! Most people I've talked to aren't doing this much, I think its down to subjects and teachers.
    But two hours would just about cover the essentials for the next day, never mind notes or anything.

I'd like to take it easy! Most people I've talked to aren't doing this much, I think its down to subjects and teachers.
    But two hours would just about cover the essentials for the next day, never mind notes or anything.

what subjects are you doing?
    even in 6th year now im getting about the same in HW which leaves plenty of time for study if i want!

eVeNtInE wrote: »

yea honours maths is a b*tch for me.. But im not studying it each night and not even doing my homework properly either. I wish i could but i just dont have that willpower when it comes to maths.

And ill probably be dropping to pass by christmas as i was forced to do honours! So, i dont see the point in working my ass off for something that will last about 2 more months like..

Feckin' alpha and beta. I hate those words!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭smileygirlloves

i use to do 15hrs but then again I wanted all straight A"s which i got

Feckin' alpha and beta. I hate those words!!! :mad:

Snap. And don't even get me started on indices!

what subjects are you doing?
    even in 6th year now im getting about the same in HW which leaves plenty of time for study if i want!

English, Irish, Maths, French, Biology, Physics and Home ec. Most teachers are just giving us mountains of work :( Hopefully it'll settle down.

i use to do 15hrs but then again I wanted all straight A"s which i got

How does that work? There aren't 15 spare hours in a day:confused::eek: Or are you talking per week?

• Advertisement

How does that work? There aren't 15 spare hours in a day:confused::eek: Or are you talking per week?

well there technically is if you work through the night.. :P

Advertisement