Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car free parade.

Options
  • 19-09-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Cycled into town to get to it and found probably the most cars I have seen in Limerick before.
    Very small bike turnout but fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Was today the car free day in town? I drove through the city centre a few times and didn't notice anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There was about 50 people on bikes going down Henry St, waste of time as all these "green" days are*

*runs off to drive around in my gti for no reason other than to pollute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

it wouldnt be a waste if it was an actual car free day

why are cars aloud in the center????????????????????????(and i mean at all never mind just car free day)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Paulegend wrote: »

why are cars aloud in the center????????????????????????(and i mean at all never mind just car free day)

Because the public transport in this country is rubbish? and not convenient for everyone?

Car free day, what a load of shyte, I pay car tax I'll drive my car wherever and whenever the **** I want, if the greens want to give me a refund for the days it doesnt get driven then we'll talk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Because until the bypass is built that is the only way through. After that I will be happy if they completely shut off the city from cars.
    Taxis and buses only is the way it should be.

In saying that, the city centre roads are ****e. The amount of metal hole covers around is staggering. Wet metal and bike tyres dont mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Because car free day is an absolute load of tree hugging bollix, that aggravates people trying to get around the city.

It actually wasnt a car free day. It was a short march closed off by the Gardai.

Some impatient idiots still forced their way into it though.

Jumpy wrote: »
    It actually wasnt a car free day. It was a short march closed off by the Gardai.

Some impatient idiots still forced their way into it though.

Its absolutely unneccsary in every shape and form. People have places to get to, things to do, so why the **** should the city be closed off for the sake of pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

city CENTER. Shutting down the "city" is a mild over exaggeration.
    I aint no hippy but also its the weekend, and if your as important as you make out surely you can deal with a few closed off streets or does that small inconvenience throw your mood off balance so easily?

hightower1 wrote: »
    city CENTER. Shutting down the "city" is a mild over exaggeration.
    I aint no hippy but also its the weekend, and if your as important as you make out surely you can deal with a few closed off streets or does that small inconvenience throw your mood off balance so easily?

Considering the amount of money I have to spend on my car between tax, petrol, insurance etc, then yes car free day pisses me off no end.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its absolutely unneccsary in every shape and form. People have places to get to, things to do, so why the **** should the city be closed off for the sake of pedestrians?

Tell it to the mayor. You could have said it during the speech.

In the meantime though I had my fun cycling on car free streets for half an hour.

Although since I was also on my way to my training ride I had my clipless pedals on. Not fun when you have to cycle at 5km/hr making sure you dont tip over and crush the tiny person on training wheels beside you.
    I had my boards jersey on, so at least I was representing the site if I embarrassed myself by falling.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Tell it to the mayor. You could have said it during the speech.

In the meantime though I had my fun cycling on car free streets for half an hour.

Although since I was also on my way to my training ride I had my clipless pedals on. Not fun when you have to cycle at 5km/hr making sure you dont tip over and crush the tiny person on training wheels beside you.
    I had my boards jersey on, so at least I was representing the site if I embarrassed myself by falling.

I couldn't be bothered to be honest. This tree hugger **** has to wash over all of us at some stage I suppose. Now they can **** off and stop interrupting traffic for another year, so all's well that ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

It was well organised and although the traffic disruption may have annoyed some people It was a fun way to kill a Sat afternoon.

The shootout at the treaty Stone was very well done.:cool:

Pics Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Lots of people like me live in the city centre. How would all these tree huggers feel if I declared their suburban housing estates car free days?

Id love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 REXO

There was a better turnout than expected. Twas the first time a parade of its nature was organised, lets hope they do it again next year. The canons and muskets on Clancy strand were brilliant. The day put smiles on faces......result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I am very long sighted and thought the sign said "Cat Free Parade"

Advertisement