Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Powder and Bicarbonate of Soda

Options
  • 19-09-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Are these the same thing?

Was told in Super Valu this morning that they are not producing Baking Powder anymore to the Irish and British markets, and was suggested to use Bicarb of Soda. Making bread now so not sure how it will turn out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Baking Powder = baking soda (alkaline) + cream of tartar (acid)
    Bicarbonate of Soda = baking soda (alkaline)

To make your own baking powder, just use 2:1 cream of tartar to baking soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ah, cool thanks monkey. Bread just coming out of oven. Lets see.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was told in Super Valu this morning that they are not producing Baking Powder anymore to the Irish and British markets,
    I hate when shops spout blatant utter lies like this as though you will not get it in any other shop. Why can't they just admit they are poorly stocked and offer the alternative without the BS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder#Substituting_in_recipes
    Substituting in recipes

Baking powder is generally just baking soda mixed with an acid, and a number of kitchen acids may be mixed with baking soda to simulate commercial blends of baking powder. Vinegar (dilute ethanoic acid), especially white vinegar, is also a common acidifier in baking; for example, many heirloom chocolate cake recipes call for a tablespoon or two of vinegar.[13] Where a recipe already uses buttermilk or yogurt, baking soda can be used without cream of tartar (or with less). Alternatively, lemon juice can be substituted for some of the liquid in the recipe, to provide the required acidity to activate the baking soda.

In older times, when chemically manufactured baking soda was not available, ash water was used instead, especially in confectionery. Wood ash is also weakly alkaline. To prepare ash water, one used a fistful of ash from the fireplace in a big pot of water. Ash from solid woods, such as the olive tree, is preferred, whereas resinous woods, like pine, cannot be used. The ash water is given a boil, then left overnight to settle. The water is then filtered through a cloth and is ready to use. Many traditional recipes call for ash water instead of baking soda, because of some unique qualities: for example, ash water dripped on hot vegetable oils congeals into a gel-like mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

how can they stop selling baking powder! crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

rubadub wrote: »
    I hate when shops spout blatant utter lies like this as though you will not get it in any other shop. Why can't they just admit they are poorly stocked and offer the alternative without the BS.

ha, you could be right.this guy would bite off his own arm to get your business. Anyway, the beer bread was great. Had it with veg soup last night.yum.

thanks for the info guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I keep getting this straight in my head and then forgetting.

So.... is Bread Soda the same as Bicarbonate of Soda is the same as baking soda ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Yes, they're all the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

Hey paddylonglegs, did alfie get any of the bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

well to be honest your man wasnt lieing. royal baking powder has been withdrawn from the uk & irish markets. however in my local costcutter supermarket they've gotten in this dr. otker one unstead and its cheaper by 10c than the old one. tastes the same too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tippguy wrote: »
    well to be honest your man wasnt lieing. royal baking powder has been withdrawn from the uk & irish markets. however in my local costcutter supermarket they've gotten in this dr. otker one unstead and its cheaper by 10c than the old one. tastes the same too
    Exactly- you can still get baking powder in the "UK and Irish markets", why could he not just admit he is poorly stocked. If he had said one single particular brand was not being made any more and then fair enough, but he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jmur808

You can still find Royal Baking Powder in the Brazilian shop in the Moore Street Mall (downstairs below Lidl on Moore Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Sorry to hijack but if very difficult to buy baking powder, where do you get just baking soda (bicarbonate soda). I want to use it for cleaning. Went into a massive Tescos & they didn't know what I was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just call it bread soda and they'll point you in the right direction. Check the home baking aisle.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Just call it bread soda and they'll point you in the right direction. Check the home baking aisle.

It says earlier in the thread that supermarkets are not selling it in UK & Ireland anymore for some reason. Have you found it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

It's just the baking powder, not the baking/bicarb/bread soda that's hard to find. Bread soda is still as plentiful as it ever was.

Well I moved to midlands over the weekend & decided to check out the tiny little shop/petrol station at top of the road & lo & behold they had it. So I grabbed me a bag! It says bread soda on it but says has various household uses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mink wrote: »
    It says bread soda on it but says has various household uses

It really does! A small bowl of it in the fridge will absorb nasty odours. Throw a tablespoon of it into an encrusted pot or roasting dish, make it into a paste with warm water, leave it to work for a while and it will lift the dirt off. There are many more too if you google it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Srubs!!!

was in two shopping markets today and neither had baking soda i am wondering have they stopped producing baking soda and could i use bread soda instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Srubs!!! wrote: »
    was in two shopping markets today and neither had baking soda i am wondering have they stopped producing baking soda and could i use bread soda instead?

Baking soda and bread soda are pretty much the same thing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Srubs!!! wrote: »

It's labelled bread soda or bicarbonate of soda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Baking powder can easily be found in Polish shops around the country.
    It's basically called baking powder -> proszek do pieczenia

523.jpg10035.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trevandaya

I was devastated to learn Royal Baking Powder has been withdrawn from sale in UK and EI. I depend on it to take away the agony caused by gout. Royal has worked like magic for me, but all alternatives I have tried do not work at all and taste revolting. Why was Royal taken off sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

trevandaya wrote: »
    I was devastated to learn Royal Baking Powder has been withdrawn from sale in UK and EI. I depend on it to take away the agony caused by gout. Royal has worked like magic for me, but all alternatives I have tried do not work at all and taste revolting. Why was Royal taken off sale?

It's not!! I saw it in Dunnes a few days ago! It was off the Market for a while but seems to be back now! Dr Oetker do a baking powder too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I saw Royal Baking Powder in Superquinn in Ballinteer on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Royal Baking Powder is sold in Oriental Emporium and also Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trevandaya

Many thanks for the information on the where-abouts of this wondrous stuff "Royal Baking Powder". I looked at the superquinn site, but I doubt they would dispatch tins to England. Their trade partner TESCOie might though. If only I lived in Ireland, the quality of life would be better all round. :)
    Trevandaya

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

trevandaya wrote: »
    Many thanks for the information on the where-abouts of this wondrous stuff "Royal Baking Powder". I looked at the superquinn site, but I doubt they would dispatch tins to England. Their trade partner TESCOie might though. If only I lived in Ireland, the quality of life would be better all round. :)
    Trevandaya

Oh sorry I thought you were in Ireland! What does EI mean in your original post?

Sorry you can't get it in the UK - pretty annoying alright! Do you know anyone in Ireland that could buy a few tins of it and bring it over next time they visit? :-)

You can make baking powder by mixing two teaspoons of cream of tartar with one teaspoon of bicarb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 awesome00

on the corner of parnell st and gardiner street you can get it in tops and pops(respect to irish owned and run small businesses ) or londis for €1, most tesco's sell it too by "GEM" it comes in a blue 500g bag. I mix it(1) with water(8) and milton(1) in a spray bottle for cleaning everything. It's great and you can use it on food prep area's safely if you want to add a smell and extra cleaning power add a few squirts of lemon to the mix.
    hope this is helpful

• Advertisement

awesome00 I have to close this thread because it's 4 years old and hasn't had a post in more than 2 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement