Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Financial Maths and CFA level I in one year; am I crazy?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,

Hoping this is the best place to post this.

I am about to start the M.Sc. in Financial and industrial math in DCU. I graduated in 2007 with a 1H engineering degree from UCD so I have no background in financial theory at all.

I have read here and other places that the CFA (chartered financial analyst) is fast becoming the gold standard for traders in the UK and US. I have also read that this exam is quite difficult.

With competition for good finance jobs now very high I was considering sitting the level I exam in June 2010 for 2 reasons:

1. I hope that prospective employers will be impressed by my committment and ability to self learn.
    2. I hope that doing more of the theory behind the numbers might help me with exams, thesis, general understanding etc.

So here are the Q's:
    1. Is this crazy? Is the CFA really that well regarded? I am a good student but not a genius by a long shot; do you think it will be possible to study for the CFAs while doing the M.Sc.?(the M.Sc. has exams in Jan, May and thesis to be handed in end of August and the CFA is on the 5th of June 2010).
    2. If you have done the CFA level I exam, how did you find it? How much prep did you do?
    3. Does anyone know how much overlap there is between the M.Sc. and the CFA?

Thanks guys,
    Gob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It will be possible. I did level one while working. Personally I wouldnt suggest it. I'd focus more on doing well in your MSc. You could sit the CFA in December instead of the summer. This would give you a few months to stagger the whole process.

Advertisement