Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of buying...advice pls??

Options
  • 19-09-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone, im looking for some advice please.....
    Im not a hugely experienced rider, having recently taken it up again after about ten years (and not havin done a huge amount to begin with) but im interested in buying a horse in the near future (when iv done some more lessons and have more experience under my belt in both riding and care etc) Friesians look like a beautiful, elegant horse but i dont know whether they would be suitable as a first horse for me.confused.gif Im not looking for a horse for any reason in particular ie competitions, just a companion to learn with really. im just looking for a bit of advice from someone who would know better or if anyone can recommend what breed, sex etc i should look at?
    i know its an extremely broad question but dont want to buy a horse that will be completely wasted on me.:confused:
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

An older animal is better than a younger or green one. Green on green equals black and blue! Don't worry about what colour or breed it is.

To get a taste of things and not have the full financial/time commitment you can look into becoming a half livery/share. If you do this get everything in writing, tell the owner where your at and encourage them to show you how they like things done, insurance.

An easier thing to do is rent a horse at a riding school for mini/midi/maxi jumping, hunting or beech rides. If your looking for more general experience and to build up contacts get involved in something like Riding for the Disabled, they are crying out for volunteers.

http://www.rdai.org/

If you join somewhere like the BHS you get insurance and can do exams in riding and stable management. This will really help in doing things the safe way.

http://www.bhsireland.com/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Agree whole heartedly with the older horse for someone learning. Don't forget that you will learn and when you do, you more than likely will be lookin for competitions. Go for a nice, quiet all rounder. I'm not to sure about fresian havin never had one but I do know a good lookin horse takes work to keep good looking. Lots of grooming but without over grooming. You have to ask yourself, do you have the time and money?

Also TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU! I cannot express the importance of this enough. Someone who is well experianced with horses and knows what to look out for. Most people are trust worthy but there is always the scammers who trick you into buying a faulty, unsellable horse. Nothin worse than finding out your first horse cant be ridden. Ask if you can take it on trial and get it vetted.

Sharing a horse is a good way of learning to care for a horse. And voleenteering at your local stables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MissMoxy

Thanks everyone for ur advice,
    unfortunately due to my location (small town in co rosfrown.gif) its very hard to find anyone nearby to share a horse with.
    itl be after christmas before i buy anything so i have plenty of time to look into it. Thanks everyone for yer advice. much appreciated.redface.gifredface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Can you rent/lease a horse where you are having lessons? Many riding schools offer horses on a lease situation - i.e. the horse is kept on livery at the stables but it's basically yours to ride whenever you like, and no one else will ride it. You'll have all the pleasure of riding but if financially it becomes too much you can hand it back. It's a great option to try because it will give you a chance to see if you really do have the spare time and commitment for a horse. Buying a horse is a huge commitment, with a lease arrangement at a local stable you'll know plenty about the horse and there'll be lots of people around to give you advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Confundor

Definitely agree an older horse is better. Make sure that you pay attention to size also a smaller horse can be more manageable at first.

If you are going to keep the horse at home rather than on livery, it is a good idea to read up a lot on feeding and care requirements and then I would offer/apply to work in your local stables so you can put your reading into practise as reading how to muck out a stable or bandage a leg is not the same as practical experience.

There are also a lot of owners at the moment looking to send their horses on loan which is another good way to introduce yourself to ownership without taking the plunge.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 animalmad

owning a horse is a big responsibility it will take a lot of work, money and commitment, however it is all worth it!
    When getting your first horse there are several things to consider including-
    what purpose you want the horse for- hacking showing racing etc
    what is the horses temperament- fiery/laid back etc
    will it be stabled or in a field- how hardy does it have to be?
    mare or gelding- do you want to breed?
    does it need company?
    do you want experienced/young animal to bring on?
    re-sale value?
    additional fees (vet/farrier/tack/equip/lessons) etc....
    how much time is available for the horse, some horses need a lot more care and attention than others. I own 30 horses and every one is an individual with different needs and characters!
    I have known some very green riders buy some young horses and get on very well with them but again they were the quieter type horses and lots of friendly advice and lessons were used :)

Advertisement