Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless for Desktop PC help.

• 19-09-2009 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a new desktop pc, which doesn't have built in wireless and I'm wondering whats the best way to go about setting up with an access point/antenna/adapter.

It's a HP Pavilion 6061 and at the back it has a slot specifically for a wireless antenna, presumably a HP one. The slot is the same size as one for a mic or speakers.

Is there firstly, anywhere I can get the Hp wireless antenna, and secondly, what are my other options regarding wireless set up? I have the computer in an upstairs bedroom and the router is downstairs.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A computer wouldn't normally have a slot for an antenna, and if it did, it wouldn't be a 3.5mm jack socket. That's probably something else you're looking at.

Get a USB wireless adapter, and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Any in particular that would be good? Considering the router is downstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Avoid Belkin products, apart from that, they're all pretty similar. Signal quality will be more down to the construction of you house, and where everything is, more than the router and wireless adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Grand, thanks. I'll do that. Cheers for the help. :)

Advertisement