Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairs to Canon Speedlite 580 Ex battery contact points.

• 19-09-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

I need help in repairing a Canon Speedlite 580ex.
    The problem is that some of the battery chamber contact points have corroded due to battery leakage.

I have attached two photographs of the 580 ex Speedlite.
    The number on the Speedlite is 445181 on the front head and inside the battery chamber is U6 10 .
    The bottom left contact is loose (looking at it with the chamber door open on the right hand side) This is where most of the signs of corrosion is seen.
    The corrosion on the contacts means that the speedlite only works occasionally when the contact makes the circuit connection.
    Any ideas as to where I might get this repaired in Ireland or where I might source new contact points to do the job myself.

3933942237_c2f058d42c.jpg
    3934723738_743e0b88ea.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

nail file and sand the contacts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Had this on a battery charger recently and will a little scraping at the green oxide it came back as good as new - well working fine at least. The speedlite is worth a lot more than a charger though so I'd imagine to go gently with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Try clean the contact as best you can then add a touch of solder to the cleaned part. Sometimes a bit of breadsoda added to a drop of water will clean the contact using a small paint brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

piece of iron wool between a tweezers should sort that out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Try clean the contact as best you can then add a touch of solder to the cleaned part. Sometimes a bit of breadsoda added to a drop of water will clean the contact using a small paint brush
    Solder is not a great conductor, it's purpose is to hold an already electrically sound connection in place. The contacts themselves are the best surface and if they're worn down I'd be inclined to solder on a contact saved from some broken piece of electronics, or bought from the likes of Peats in Parnell st.

I'd be wary of the bread soda, first because I'm not sure if it's applicable beyond lead acid battery leaks, but also if the connectors are loose there may be a gap allowing bread soda into the inner circuitry, seems risky. I'd use white spirits on cotton buds to clean up the main mess, then a bit of metal sandpaper on the end of pliers or a metal file to redeem the contact surfaces, and a final clean with white spirits to get rid of remaining residue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

solders are very good conductors of electricity and heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Advertisement