Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing a Proposal for IRCHSS

Options
  • 19-09-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks, I have read a wee bit on this site related to what I am about to post but I would like to get some fresh opinions - so I hope some of you can take the time to write even a couple of lines of advice, I would be very grateful:) .

I am thinking of applying to go back and do a PhD, this is something I have considered at various points over the last 5/6 years (so its not a spur of the moment thing). I finished my MA about 7years ago. I (like so many others in this situation) am passionately interested in my area and I would love the chance to study and work in it - alas I know that such platitudes as "passionately interested" probably appear on 90% of funding applications. With this in mind I wonder if the fellow "boardies" could advise me as to what is expected to be included in a quality proposal to the IRCHSS.

After reading some posts on here I have the impression that I would be wasting my time in looking for funding there. After I finished my MA I drifted away into other interests, for the last 2 years I have been teaching English as a foreign language (I guess it could count as teaching experience). The reason I feel I would be wasting my time is some of the other posters have listed, lecturing experience, publishing records, conference attendance etc (&they still did not recieve funding) & on these levels I fear I could not compete with other applicants. So therefore would it be a waste of time working on a proposal for the coming months without such experience?

Also besides the IRCHSS, local council and the Universities in question what other options do you have for funding?

Thanks to those who took the time to read and especially to those who respond. Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

As other posters have said, it's impossible to know precisely what the Irchss are looking for in applications (and then this can vary depending on the year and individual reviewer I'd imagine) so in many ways it's a bit of a lottery. That said, everyone's in with a chance :-)

They are looking for a high academic standard as a minimun generally - first in either BA or MA at least. Then the extras after that can all help (teaching exp, conference presentations etc) but they aren't essential. If you haven't started yet, you wouldn't really be expected to have these things. Though it might be worth seeing of you can get any conference or seminar paper accepted based on your masters thesis - perhaps at your old university or the one you're applying to? This might be a bit difficult if you finished a few years ago though.

Personally I think a lot of it depends on the quality of the proposal, and the topic. So if you spend the next few months working solidly on the proposal ie getting to know the topic really well, in terms of secondary literature, sources, methodology so that you can make a really solid case in your proposal, then I think you stand as good a chance as anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

SD1979 wrote: »
    The reason I feel I would be wasting my time is some of the other posters have listed, lecturing experience, publishing records, conference attendance etc (&they still did not recieve funding) & on these levels I fear I could not compete with other applicants. So therefore would it be a waste of time working on a proposal for the coming months without such experience

Not true at all, I got mine just before my final B.A. exams - all that matters is your proposal, and your supervisors recommendation. Go for it!!!

And get someone experienced in the area to read - as many as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

efla wrote: »

Very good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SD1979

Thanks guys....
    Efla - I take it by "getting someone experienced to read" you mean to find scholars in the field to read my proposal to see if its up to scratch?
    Cheers for the advice - I guess like you said - with a lottery your in with the same chance as all the others. My supervisor seems genuinely interested and keen to supervise something in the area I proposed so I guess its not all bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

efla wrote: »
    Not true at all, I got mine just before my final B.A. exams - all that matters is your proposal, and your supervisors recommendation. Go for it!!!

SD1979 wrote: »
    Thanks guys....
    Efla - I take it by "getting someone experienced to read" you mean to find scholars in the field to read my proposal to see if its up to scratch?
    Cheers for the advice - I guess like you said - with a lottery your in with the same chance as all the others. My supervisor seems genuinely interested and keen to supervise something in the area I proposed so I guess its not all bad ;)

And get someone who isn't experienced in the area to read it too.... Sometimes if you're too close to the material it makes sense to you but might not be totally convincing to those outside the discipline too. Your application could be one in six-hundred so it needs to be clear in its research questions and proposed approach and methodology - to all readers almost instantly. Communication of the topic is key, well one of the keys anyway....

• Advertisement
Advertisement