Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wear/what precautions do you take when riding out?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I enjoy hacking with the mare but one thing I am very keen on is road safety and relations with other road users.

I acknowledge other road users with eye contact/nod/hello. I used to take a hand off the reins to wave but now only use this for hand signals to prevent confusion. If other ru are nice to me they get a big smile!

When I hack out I wear a reflective/hi viz hat band and have r/hv boots on the mare and a breast plate. I find the hat band great as people can see it up from up high and the boots are good as it tends to be the moving legs of a horse that other road users notice first. I also take a long schooling whip with me, I'm currently keeping an eye out for something hv/r to stick onto it.

At times I also wear a r/hv tabard. IMO the most basic of tabard is not enough as it only covers front and back so if the animal puts it's head up it can block and a riders pony tail can block it behind.

I firmly believe that hv/r should be worn. By law cars have to have lights on by a certain time. Also, cars tend to be more of a metalic colour while other road users tend to be more of an earth tone (esp horse and rider) and will blend into the background.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement