Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best houses in Lucan?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Boards.ie

I was wondering if anybody here had any idea on where the safest/overall best areas in Lucan to buy a house is.

Thanks.

-Edvins from Tallaght.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was brought up in Lucan, and moved back to the village some time ago.

What do you mean by 'safest'? Lucan village while busy, is very safe. Some estates have delusions of grandeur (such as Laraghcon), but the old estates (Lucan Heights, Esker, Vesey Park etc) are in nice mature areas with open spaces, reasonable sized gardens etc. In the village itself- Sarsfield Park would have been the old council estate- incredibly high standard of building- and once again- lots of open spaces for kids etc (and the schools literally across the road, and up the hill).

Dodsboro was really considered to be a seperate village in its own right- and got itself attache onto the new Lucan South Parish when Esker church was finally built in the late 70s. Lots of mature estates up there- but its much higher density housing than in the village itself. You do have the Tesco and the Medical centre there- but its fairly cut off from the village (with the exception of the 25 bus route- which is the only route which services the village proper going to the city centre (the 66/67s do take the higher road- they don't go down Main Street Lucan though).

Adamstown and all those other new estates going towards Newcastle, Clondalkin, Neilstown etc- to the south of the N4 really don't have a lot to do with Lucan- with the obvious caveat that they are insistent on calling themselves Lucan. There was a long running battle with the residents there- who wanted to use a Lucan Co. Dublin postcode- it eventually resulted in An Post closing Lucan's sorting office on Tandy's Lane, as they were inundated with 14 times more items than previously- and had no capacity to expand there. The new sorting office is in the Neilstown industrial estate- not very handy if you have to collect a package- and the local posties seem to have given up delivering packages altogether.......

Lucan is reasonably peaceful for the most part, there is a very good community spirit in the older more mature areas, and despite the lack of amenities, its far better catered for than many other communities. A number of local businesses- such as the local snooker hall, have recently closed to many people's disappointment, but there is a very welcome thriving cafe culture on Main Street Lucan village- quite unlike you'll find in most villages.

When you say Lucan- you really should be a bit more explicit- Lucan village is cut off from most development (the river Liffey being the boundary between South Dublin Co.Co. and Fingal Co.Co.), and to a certain extent maintains its 'village' atmosphere- whereas- once you get over the N4 to 'Lucan South' Liam Lawlor and his friends okayed allsorts of weird planning decisions- with the resultant Adamstown and all those estates into Clondalkin and Neilstown- that have massive vacancy rates.

Its disturbing to read the suggestions in this forum that these estates should be used wholesale to accommodate social housing- god only knows whats going to happen though.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Edvins

Hi, thanks for replying..Much appreciated mate.
    When I say best/safest I was meaning a good place for kids to play, no trouble with the Irish chavs LOL (y'know what I mean)
    I will take a look at all them houses on myhome.ie

P/s my budget is around 350k-350k, any suggestions/links appreciated.

Thanks,

Edvins.

I'd be far more inclined to recommend old Lucan, rather than any of the 'new' estates to the south of the N4 (with a few notable exceptions- such as Kew Park and some parts of Esker). Vesey Park- right at the N4 flyover- has a very good reputation- and of course you have Lucan Heights/Beach Park/Cherbury/Roselawn etc)- The village itself would be considered very safe- and has very good schools and reasonable local shops etc- but few sports/social amenities (even the promised library ended up at Superquinn despite the building in the village being donated to the council). Sarsfield Park was considered 'rough' at one stage- but I'd look very favourably on it- very solidly built houses- lots of open spaces, and lots of young families with a reasonable neighbourly atmosphere. There are smaller houses for sale in your budget- such as one with a 'Miracle Home' sign next door to the old snooker club- directly across from the Italian ambassadors residence.

Prices in the village are still very much at a premium to 'new Lucan'- however the advertised asking prices are aspirational to say the least- and normally very open to negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

If your looking for a safe safest/overall best areas in Lucan I'd stay away from Lucan village. Traffic and old, badly designed estates being the main reason. Yes Lucan village has the shops etc but I don’t think the kids will be too concerned about that.

Try up around Griffen Ave were you'll find a nice cul de sac for the kids to run around. Most estates will be full of kids so your kids will have plenty of friends. Griffeen Park is also there with plenty of playing fields, playground, sports clubs etc.

As for Chavs they are everywhere, not just Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

bcirl03 wrote: »
    If your looking for a safe safest/overall best areas in Lucan I'd stay away from Lucan village. Traffic and old, badly designed estates being the main reason. Yes Lucan village has the shops etc but I don’t think the kids will be too concerned about that.

Try up around Griffen Ave were you'll find a nice cul de sac for the kids to run around. Most estates will be full of kids so your kids will have plenty of friends. Griffeen Park is also there with plenty of playing fields, playground, sports clubs etc.

As for Chavs they are everywhere, not just Lucan.

Is Griffen Avenue and park not very close to Adamstown and a bit more isolated than other parts of Lucan. I'm interested in buying in Lucan also.

• Advertisement

I live in Lucan village- on main street- and would be far happier living in the village itself than anywhere else in 'Lucan'. The only downside is the way Main Street gets closed off with no warning a few times every year for parades/parties/fairs- but even then you get some free entertainment.

The estates in the village are built to incredibly high standards, unlike many of those elsewhere in 'Lucan' and are not built on flood plains etc.......

Now that St. Catherines is properly developed- there are oodles of sports facilities and lovely walkways a short walk up through Laraghcon.....

I'd be far more likely to recommend the village than any of the 'South Lucan' / Adamstown sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

smccarrick wrote: »
    The estates in the village are built to incredibly high standards, unlike many of those elsewhere in 'Lucan' and are not built on flood plains etc.......

I love Lucan village. It has a charming quirky feel to it and I would prefer to live there than any other part of Lucan too.

But (and correct me if I am wrong) is it not risk at flooding too? I remember a few years back pics in the paper of Kennys and Courtneys flooded.

amdublin wrote: »
    I love Lucan village. It has a charming quirky feel to it and I would prefer to live there than any other part of Lucan too.

But (and correct me if I am wrong) is it not risk at flooding too? I remember a few years back pics in the paper of Kennys and Courtneys flooded.

I think the council apologised for that- they did remedial works for 'South Lucan' but never factored the very small tributary that flowed into the Liffey via the Embassy grounds. They then did a shedload of remedial work at the Village Green on Main Street- and ended up in court- as it private property it belongs to the Methodist Church...... lol.

I used go boating as a kid where there are thousands of houses- and I even went fishing on Weir View one year- without ever leaving the road- I was baffled when the folk there were up in arms over a minor bit of water and sandbagging- it used to be an annual occurence.......

People really should talk to some of the older people in towns and villages- before they blindly accept the word of a crooked developer about whether their property is on a flood plain or not....... Add a crooked planning official into the equation and you have South Lucan's sprawling metropolis.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks for clarifying smcarrick.

Ha! They're some great memories you have from childhood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

It was grange manor and old forge and Village that flooded last time. So the snobbery of Old Lucan VS New Lucan and jibes about housing standards don't help anyone out there. Strawberry beds flooded today. Does anyone know whether village is being affected too?

I live up near Griffeen park with great amenties such as park and lesiure centre as well as easy access to N7 and work. So must declare interest in new Lucan as well as irritation with Old Lucan snobbery. I do love the village for a walk and drink but the traffic there is horrible and some of estates such as sarsfield park, hillcrest, beech park etc are really old fashioned dated houses.

• Advertisement

SDCC are commencing distribution of sandbags tomorrow, in expectation of problems on Tuesday when the next stormfront crosses. They are also supplying the Strawberry beds (despite it being part of Fingal Co.Co.). They also had two survey teams surveying the Griffeen this afternoon, trying to determine whether its going to be an issue on Tue/Wed, or not.

The Strawberry beds floods several times every single year- normally down by the Canoe Union beside the old Guinness cattle bridge. So no surprise there whatsoever. It was surprising the number of cars who've managed to get themselves stuck there- idiots.

Initial distribution of sandbags is some of the developments in Lucan village (The Rectory and The Village Weir complexes) though it will need a further 6 foot rise for there to be problems. Most of the land at the Italian Ambassador's residence is already under water.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens with Weir View- I've memories of it being under a foot of water several times in the past- it used to be a frequent occurrence.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Thanks for the update. Sounds like people are ready for it at least. Lets hope it doesn't get any worse.

Advertisement