Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35mm film SLR where for cheap

• 19-09-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi,
    ive started a portfolio course and photography is one of the subjects and i
    need to get myself a 35mm film SLR any ideas on how/where to get one for as cheap as possible.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Theres a few on adverts.ie and check second hand sections in camera stores. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You'll pick one up on ebay pretty cheap. What I've found on adverts.ie is people up film slr's with unrealistic prices. They think they are worth more than they are. I'd advise picking up a camera that will use the same lenses as a modern digital SLR. I have a Canon Eos 1 that I picked up on ebay for €100 and I already had a 5D so all my lenses work on both. I also have a Canon AE1, manual focus and has aperature priority. Picked that up with a 50mm 1.8 for €100 also. Lenses for the AE1 are also pretty cheap second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There are some cheaper brands that used the pentax K mount lenses, Miranda, Chinon and Ricoh that go pretty cheap on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭defence forces

to hell with slr's disposable cameras. seriously best place is ebay get yourself a 2nd Nikon semi pro if that makes sense for €50.though I bought an old kiev iii for €100 from the camera centre on grafton st. normally these camera's are a load ****. BUt it's got a carl zeiss sonnar copy and it comes out with crystal clear photos but then again I use conns on wexford st or the fuji place Dun Laoghaire shopping centre (she gives you a free film with every roll developed) also Dalkey Fuji do rolls for €2 and they seem fine to me. Crikey I'm starting to come across as a rep for Fuji.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

to hell with slr's disposable cameras. seriously best place is ebay get yourself a 2nd Nikon semi pro if that makes sense for €50.though I bought an old kiev iii for €100 from the camera centre on grafton st. normally these camera's are a load ****. BUt it's got a carl zeiss sonnar copy and it comes out with crystal clear photos but then again I use conns on wexford st or the fuji place Dun Laoghaire shopping centre (she gives you a free film with every roll developed) also Dalkey Fuji do rolls for €2 and they seem fine to me. Crikey I'm starting to come across as a rep for Fuji.
    That'd be Gunn's on Wexford Street.
    That's a handy shop in Dalkey for the 400 iso at 2 quid a pop. Pretty dear for dev though.

Adverts.ie is handy as you probably get to meet the seller or at least can check their record for some provenance of character. Which is nice.

• Advertisement

yeah dalkey is expensive i buy thier film then get Gunn's to develop it they're the cheapest i could find with good results.

by the way be carefull about Ebay you can easily be conned by the lovely cosmetic photos only to find that you bought junk not to mentioned the camera breaking apart in the mail. I paid roughly fifty more than ebay in a dublin shop but the camera is in perfect condition and I was able to inspect it before buying. Once you buy ebay you cant walk away they changed the rules recently (got an email) stating that once you commit they will charge your paypal anyway. good luck. you have been warned. try conn's off wicklow st. sometimes you get lucky. they were selling a year old Canon for €120 with some extra lens. they do good warranties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got a Canon 300v for a fiver on ebay recently...

You'd pick up a 28-80 lens for less than fifty.

Once you buy ebay you cant walk away they changed the rules recently (got an email) stating that once you commit they will charge your paypal anyway. good luck. you have been warned. try conn's off wicklow st. sometimes you get lucky. they were selling a year old Canon for €120 with some extra lens. they do good warranties.

I think the new ebay rules allowed the buyer to automatically get a refund from the seller if a dispute is settled in their favour, shouldn't effect the buyer

I think the ebay rules allowed the buyer to automatically get a refund from the seller if a dispute is settled in their favour
    I dunno man i've been stung in the past over an electric bike i got for my dad. By the time I had gone through the "polite" ebay dispute process, my crdit card company, paypal, eventually they had considered the dispute closed, your man basically kept sending polite emails to ebay and paypal saying "of course I sent that item I dont know what that mad Irishman is talking about, must be too much Guinness or shamrocks etc..." by this stage I was €300 in debt. It didn't put me off I just tried to buy things at reasonable prices. Though I found the yanks are usually honest and will sell things in good condition or as described (stuff from california is the best), however the brits you need to wary of. mmm I wonder if one could apply that to the real world.
    I have a feeling if you don't insure it (postage) then it's really unlikely you'll get your money back. ebay operates in favour of the seller in my opinion.

Sorry to hear you lost out, I've been lucky enough, bought about a hundred items through ebay, most from the uk. Four or five items have had some issue with, two didn't show up others not working or as described. Seller sorted out in each case. Only dispute that took some time was with an irish seller :pac:. Great number of cameras on ebay, the condition they're in can vary though

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you lost out, I've been lucky enough, bought about a hundred items through ebay, most from the uk. Four or five items have had some issue with, two didn't show up others not working or as described. Seller sorted out in each case. Only dispute that took some time was with an irish seller :pac:. Great number of cameras on ebay, the condition they're in can vary though

then your lucky indeed. though in general I stay well clear of ebay.ie but i've really lost trust in ebay.co.uk. The only thing with ebay.com is the postage from the states. suppose its pot luck really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just go shopping in real, not only on-line :)

D053A1DE99ED4D0887A45EB6370664E7-800.jpg

However, there are lots of people who still have some camera in the attic and don't use it. Ask your family and they will find somebody who didn't use their 2old" camera for years and they'll be happy to give it for few yo-yos to somebody who will use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ThOnda wrote: »
    Just go shopping in real, not only on-line :)

D053A1DE99ED4D0887A45EB6370664E7-800.jpg

However, there are lots of people who still have some camera in the attic and don't use it. Ask your family and they will find somebody who didn't use their 2old" camera for years and they'll be happy to give it for few yo-yos to somebody who will use it.

omg :eek:

I'd love to spend hours just sifting through those showcases :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

eBay is handy indeed. Which course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I can set you up with one, along with two lenses, for the cost of shipping (from the United States).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I got my Canon EOS 1000FN for £15 from eBay :)

Advertisement