Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about php , mysql ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

There are free front ends available from the MySQL website and they are good:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

WAMP is a nice little setup and I am glad you like it. I too find it very handy

I have a stack of Php books with all sorts of database driven applications so if you want to mention what kind of project takes your fancy I will have a look

My personal favourite is Php Solutions by David Powers and I used it to create some MySQL driven photo galleries for my own site. The book takes a project based approach and does not leave much out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

OK, thanks a lot ... I'm thinking of just a simple records site,
    I play a lot of tennis and log my games ... so i'd have a database of mathes linked with players.

So i could see all my stats on a player by player basis.... or just total ...

SQL is so versatile ... im ok with that ... it's more the PHP i need help with ..

I had something simple written

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

not that familar with wamp.

I use XAMPP download here:http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

It installs apache,mysql,php and a web based frontend for mysql called PHPmyadmin.

you could also just install phpmyadmin with wamp
    its straightforward to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

If you search google for 'php + mysql tutorial', you will find countless tutorials available. Just pick one up and get your hands dirty - cheaper and faster than buying a book. When I first started using PHP (3) in late 99, there was only one tutorial available. I have since used phpMyAdmin as the database management frontend for most of my endeavors. XAMPP is similar to WAMP and should help you establish a working development environment fairly straightforward.

For what you need/want to do, a tutorial will be more than enough. It's very easy and, to be quite honest, once you get familiarized with the syntax, the manual is just enough - no need for tutorials. Plus, php online manuals contain user comments which explain quite a lot and show snippets with specific implementations of the functions and so on. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

OK, thanks .... yes this is my 1st "project" i have in mind, as i said i had it written before but lost it in a crash, the reason for the book is id like to get into more complex things ....

like a flickr kind of page .... much simpler version of course :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

FedEx wrote: »
    I play a lot of tennis and log my games ... so i'd have a database of matches linked with players.
    Here is a thread pointing to a link for a Wordpress league table plug in:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055686002
    It's done in Php so maybe you could tweak it for tennis scores

The php manual is great for functions and code snippets but the problem then is learning how they all fit together into a fully functioning website. This takes time and is not quite as easy as people say it is

The Php Solutions book will teach you all you need to know about creating gallery sites with Php and then some

You can get it for free so pm me if interested and I will send you the link

Advertisement