Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Dumping in Europe

Options
  • 19-09-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Read the following two articles:

Social fears
    The Chinese Overseas Engineering Group (Covec), has told the Polish authorities it will employ EU workers, but fears persist that it will ship in cheap labour from China to complete the job.
    "Of course they can bring Chinese workers with them to help with the construction," says Andrzej Maciejewski of the Polish Roads Agency (GDDKIA) that awarded the contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8259153.stm

Now for the African experience which has been repeated over and over

Although working conditions at Chinese companies in Africa differ across countries and sectors, there are some common trends such as tense labour relations, hostile attitudes by Chinese employers towards trade unions, violations of workers rights, poor working conditions and unfair labour practices. There is a virtual absence of employment contracts and the Chinese employers unilaterally determine wages and benefits. African workers are often employed as “casual workers”, depriving them of benefits that they are legally entitled to.

Chinese employers tend to be amongst the lowest paying in Africa when compared with other companies in the same sector. In Zambia, for example, the Chinese copper mine paid its workers 30% less than other copper mines in the country. In general,
    Chinese companies do not grant African workers any meaningful benefits and in some instances ignore even those that are prescribed by law. Wages above the national average were only found at those Chinese companies with a strong trade union presence. Chinese staff members enjoy significantly higher wages and more benefits than their African counterparts.

http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/africa_china/57159

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Seriously, the amount of new posters and old accounts with little to no posts until now coming out of the woodwork on the no side is really getting crazy.

It's starting to seem more plausible that something fishy is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Seriously, the amount of new posters and old accounts with little to no posts until now coming out of the woodwork on the no side is really getting crazy.

It's starting to seem more plausible that something fishy is going on.

I thinks there is definitely something fishy going on.

And since it's illegal to undercut our minimum wage I don't know what the point is of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

meglome wrote: »
    I thinks there is definitely something fishy going on.

Propaganda campaign ramping up in the closing weeks before the referendum perhaps?
    meglome wrote: »
    And since it's illegal to undercut our minimum wage I don't know what the point is o this thread.

Psssh...facts! We don't need no facts here. Everything we need to know is plastered on Cóir posters in nice easy to remember slogans. Lisbon will mean conscripted soldiers will drop our minimum wages so people will have more abortions or something, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not sure what the point is here either. Poland, like Ireland, has a legally binding minimum wage, which applies to foreign workers.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement